“It's all kind of.. blah”
Review of Inn of Chicago

Inn of Chicago
Ranked #150 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This hotel is in a great location- right off the Mag Mile, and the lobby and bar are very cute. However, the rest of the hotel is in desperate need of upgrades and a good deep cleaning. The wallpaper and paint are peeling in the rooms and common areas, the room smelled constantly damp and the AC never quite worked properly- it always blew warmish air no matter what temperature it was set to. Our bed was very clearly old, so much so you could see the mattress was at an angle when you first walked in the room, and there was a mystery black stain all over our mirror (in room 1203.) The rooftop deck was also a huge letdown- there's a beautiful view of the city up there; but it's marred by all the garbage, broken glass, beer bottles and cigarette butts that are left behind and never picked up. I only stayed for one night thankfully.

3  Thank kdkswim
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Inn of Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

kdswim - The skyline terrace is one of the hidden gem's at our hotel offering spectacular panoramic views of the city. It disappoints us to hear if there was garbage present on the terrace. This is completely unacceptable, and will address internally to ensure no other guest reports a similar situation moving forward. Please be assured of our best efforts to regain your confidence in us, and hope you will return for a much improved experience.

There are newer reviews for Inn of Chicago

Reviewed 30 June 2014

The location of this hotel is ideal. The room was clean. The staff was friendly.
I was disappointed that the rate did not include any breakfast. I was there during a convention and my rate was just shy of $400/night. You would think this would include something.

I used the valet service and it was very convenient. As I was getting in my car to leave I double checked my receipt and discovered that I was charged an extra day of valet service. Double check your bill. I'm just glad I looked before i was on the road home.

Over all I was satisfied with my stay. For the money, there are better choices that would get you breakfast as well as other amenities.

Room Tip: Try to get a room as high as possible. Lots of street noise.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

indybrad- Thank you for acknowledging our convenient location and friendly staff. We apologize if you discovered a duplicate charge prior to your departure, and hope we were able to rectify this discrepancy in a timely manner. Since we are not a full-service hotel, we do not offer breakfast for our guests. However, there is a coffee and pastry shop adjacent to the hotel called LavAzza which is a great alternative.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

I did not actually stay at the Inn of Chicago. I booked a reservation via Amtrak hotels. I wanted a room for one night, but did not notice that the site had defaulted check in and check out dates for a week. Before I realized my error, I had booked a hotel room for 7 nights for close to $1000. I immediately tried to cancel the reservation but received the message that whether I canceled or not, I would not be refunded. The next day I called Orbitz and the policy was repeated to me. I explained the situation and was told I could try calling the hotel to see if they would not charge Orbitz. After a few phone calls back and forth, I asked to speak to the hotel manager, and though he said the nonrefundable policy was driven by the contract between the hotel and Orbitz, he said he would contact Orbitz to communicate that the hotel would not charge Orbitz for the reservation, and requested they refund my money. In spite of several conflicting emails from Orbitz and the Amtrak site over the course of several days stating that they could not refund my money, I received an email from the hotel assistant manager confirming that Orbitz would refund my money. Fortunately that occured today. I am grateful for the effort made by the hotel manager and assistant manager to make this happen.

Room Tip: not applicable
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Hi David- That is wonderful news! Your testament reveals just how much our team goes above and beyond for our guests. We appreciate you sharing how grateful you are for the refund, and hope you decide to stay with us sometime in the near future!

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Booked this through Priceline. When we arrived we were given a room with ONE queen bed and told that it was a room "for people who booked using a 3rd party payer" and to "upgrade" it was a $20 charge per night. I was traveling with my 15 year old daughter and felt there wasn't much choice. The hotel was MODERATELY clean. Service was decent but by no definition was it 3 star. The location of the hotel was convenient. When I paid the additional fee per night to have 2 beds, we were then told we would have a "renovated" room. Not so. The linens were stained. The bathroom was tiny.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Kelly W
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Inn of Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Hi Kelly W- We regret to learn about your disappointing experience. Please be assured that we value every one of our guests, and do everything to make sure their stay is as enjoyable as possible. It seems we fell short in delivering this basic promise to you, and for that we sincerely apologize. We will address your comments about the linens internally, and assure you it is not our standard to provide any substandard amenities to our guests.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I also got Groupon deal. I was going to Chicago and my wife found the Groupon offer. The description Groupon gave was NOT what I found. The halls had stains on the floor. I had a reservation for a suite because I was traveling with a male friend and we both snore. I expected a queen bed in a room and fold out couch in the other area. We got to the room and found it was just one room. When we mentioned this to the desk, they said their suites have the queen bed and that none of their rooms have a separate bedroom. My friend got a separate room. The hotel is just OK, but just feels rather run down.

3  Thank Stefanoh

Dear Stefanoh,
We regret to learn if our Groupon offer did not specify that our guest rooms do not have a separate bedrooms. Please accept our apology for the confusion, and hope you will give us another opportunity to regain your confidence in us.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Stayed here while on vacation and have to say I was nervous before arriving because of some negative comments found here but was pleasantly surprised. All the workers at the desk were friendly, informative and professional. Was hoping to check in early due to an early flight arrival and was unable to do so but the hotel offered a bag service and stored all our luggage for us so we could enjoy to city on our first day. The location is amazing it’s within walking distance of almost everything. Has a 7 eleven, dunkin donuts, Burrito Beach and Baskin Robins across the street which were all so convenient. The hotel itself is a little older but it adds to its charm. We were on the 18th floor and had a nice view towards the Magnificent Mile and had a clean and comfortable room. The bathroom is on the smallish side but it is functional and the shower has plenty of hot water and pressure. Unfortunately the Air Conditioner kicked off more often than we would have liked but the room was still a comfortable temperature. Overall I would stay here again and recommend it to anyone looking for a clean, friendly and budget friendly place in a perfect location.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JulieatSibu
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Inn of Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear JulieatSibu,
Great comments! We are very happy to hear that our location and service exceeded expectations during your stay. Thank you for recommending us to fellow travelers, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 19 June 2014

This hotel was okay for the price (after getting a deal on Groupon). It's very old, our room was a little smelly, there's a bed sheet over the comforter so you don't see the stains. The bathroom is tiny with no counter space. The website is very deceiving as I didn't see anything that looks like the pictures on their site. Our air conditioner was a beast, and would kick on (very loudly) ever 2-3 mins to cool the room for approximately a minute and then shut off. It was very hard to sleep with. But again, we couldn't beat the price with the Groupon deal and it was downtown and close to everything. The Sky terrace is awesome and a great place to sit in the sun with a book. If you're just looking for a hotel to sleep in at night without all the bells and whistles, this is the place for you. The one unique thing about this hotel that we love was the texting service. When you check in they ask for a cell phone number and then send you a text. You can reply back to this text at any time with questions of where to eat, when is check out, etc.

1  Thank Jamie Z

Dear Jamie Z,
We are glad you appreciated our text messaging service during your stay. This tool has proven very successful among our guests that have questions, concerns or requests while on property. We regret if the HVAC noise caused any inconvenience during your stay, and hope that you thought about using earplugs to help drown out the sound. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back again soon.