“Disappointing.”
Review of Inn of Chicago

Inn of Chicago
Ranked #146 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 5 July 2014

This hotel is just dingy. We found trash in our room in three different places. The tub,bed skirt and carpet were stained. The whole hotel had a musty smell and was ill-lit and dirty. The carpet on our floor was extremely lumpy. Very odd. The elevators were slow. The front desk staff was rude, inexperienced and unhelpful. We were given misinformation twice. The one nice part was the rooftop terrace, but that was closed due to a private event for the majority of our stay. Parking is a nightmare. $46 per night! It lacks all the amenities that you would expect: soap, wifi, a pool, daily room service, do not disturb tags etc. You would be much better off staying at the best western down the street.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Mac J
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Inn of Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Mac J- Thank you for your candid review. We are so sorry that your experience was not all that we hope for and expect it to be. As a result, your expressed concerns are particularly upsetting. Please feel free to contact us directly so that we have an opportunity to rectify your concerns, so that described incidents do not occur in the future. We kindly ask you to contact our Hotel Manager, Nick Katinos, at: 312-573-3132 or nick.katinos@innofchicago.com.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

If you want to fall sick and get some cold and flue....have a coffee at the lobby of this not nice hotel......where the ac temperature is below 17 most probably...the first when we signed in , the reception lady had an attitude .....oh my god...as if she was the president of the universe .....the pictures that we got (booking.com bad website ) are totally different than what you will get..... the bed is queen bed for a married couple ,toilet smallest you can ever see , if someone is big in size you can not sit on the toilet bowel...not nice hotel......they have internet in the lobby only for 30 minutes...and on top of this they are the most expensive hotel in town.....they are selling you the location of the hotel and not the comfort of the accommodation...I moved to best western. Better hotel

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ClimberCanada
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Inn of Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

HIKERcanada- By no means are we the most expensive hotel in town, and assure you that our rates are one of the most affordable in the heart of downtown Chicago. It is never our standard to treat our guests with an disrespect, and regret if the front desk agent came off unwelcoming in any way. We understand that our hotel is not for every traveler out there, but we do our best to ensure that our guests are well taken care of during their stay.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

The Inn of Chicago was clean & conveniently located. The only minor complaint about the roon was the size of the bathroom which was tiny. Check in & check out was swift & the staff was pretty friendly. The man who showed me how to use the WiFi log in could have been more congenial.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This hotel is in a great location- right off the Mag Mile, and the lobby and bar are very cute. However, the rest of the hotel is in desperate need of upgrades and a good deep cleaning. The wallpaper and paint are peeling in the rooms and common areas, the room smelled constantly damp and the AC never quite worked properly- it always blew warmish air no matter what temperature it was set to. Our bed was very clearly old, so much so you could see the mattress was at an angle when you first walked in the room, and there was a mystery black stain all over our mirror (in room 1203.) The rooftop deck was also a huge letdown- there's a beautiful view of the city up there; but it's marred by all the garbage, broken glass, beer bottles and cigarette butts that are left behind and never picked up. I only stayed for one night thankfully.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank kdkswim

kdswim - The skyline terrace is one of the hidden gem's at our hotel offering spectacular panoramic views of the city. It disappoints us to hear if there was garbage present on the terrace. This is completely unacceptable, and will address internally to ensure no other guest reports a similar situation moving forward. Please be assured of our best efforts to regain your confidence in us, and hope you will return for a much improved experience.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

The location of this hotel is ideal. The room was clean. The staff was friendly.
I was disappointed that the rate did not include any breakfast. I was there during a convention and my rate was just shy of $400/night. You would think this would include something.

I used the valet service and it was very convenient. As I was getting in my car to leave I double checked my receipt and discovered that I was charged an extra day of valet service. Double check your bill. I'm just glad I looked before i was on the road home.

Over all I was satisfied with my stay. For the money, there are better choices that would get you breakfast as well as other amenities.

Room Tip: Try to get a room as high as possible. Lots of street noise.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

indybrad- Thank you for acknowledging our convenient location and friendly staff. We apologize if you discovered a duplicate charge prior to your departure, and hope we were able to rectify this discrepancy in a timely manner. Since we are not a full-service hotel, we do not offer breakfast for our guests. However, there is a coffee and pastry shop adjacent to the hotel called LavAzza which is a great alternative.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

I did not actually stay at the Inn of Chicago. I booked a reservation via Amtrak hotels. I wanted a room for one night, but did not notice that the site had defaulted check in and check out dates for a week. Before I realized my error, I had booked a hotel room for 7 nights for close to $1000. I immediately tried to cancel the reservation but received the message that whether I canceled or not, I would not be refunded. The next day I called Orbitz and the policy was repeated to me. I explained the situation and was told I could try calling the hotel to see if they would not charge Orbitz. After a few phone calls back and forth, I asked to speak to the hotel manager, and though he said the nonrefundable policy was driven by the contract between the hotel and Orbitz, he said he would contact Orbitz to communicate that the hotel would not charge Orbitz for the reservation, and requested they refund my money. In spite of several conflicting emails from Orbitz and the Amtrak site over the course of several days stating that they could not refund my money, I received an email from the hotel assistant manager confirming that Orbitz would refund my money. Fortunately that occured today. I am grateful for the effort made by the hotel manager and assistant manager to make this happen.

Room Tip: not applicable
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Hi David- That is wonderful news! Your testament reveals just how much our team goes above and beyond for our guests. We appreciate you sharing how grateful you are for the refund, and hope you decide to stay with us sometime in the near future!

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Booked this through Priceline. When we arrived we were given a room with ONE queen bed and told that it was a room "for people who booked using a 3rd party payer" and to "upgrade" it was a $20 charge per night. I was traveling with my 15 year old daughter and felt there wasn't much choice. The hotel was MODERATELY clean. Service was decent but by no definition was it 3 star. The location of the hotel was convenient. When I paid the additional fee per night to have 2 beds, we were then told we would have a "renovated" room. Not so. The linens were stained. The bathroom was tiny.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Kelly W
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Inn of Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Hi Kelly W- We regret to learn about your disappointing experience. Please be assured that we value every one of our guests, and do everything to make sure their stay is as enjoyable as possible. It seems we fell short in delivering this basic promise to you, and for that we sincerely apologize. We will address your comments about the linens internally, and assure you it is not our standard to provide any substandard amenities to our guests.