“We enjoyed 5 days” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #85 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Huntsville
“We enjoyed 5 days”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

We really enjoyed this hotel for 5 nights. We opted for this Hotel about 4 miles from the loop because we wanted a place with good restaurants nearby and a feel of small town. The hotel is well situated and the area that you pass through on the way to the loop is very nice.

The lobby is first class as are the desk clerks and bell hops. The maids are hard to communicate with. I understand that they are Polish and do not read or speak English for the most part. The beds are very comfortable and once my wife got the duvet covers made up correctly we had no other problems with the maids. The room is somewhat small but adequate. It had a small refrigerator and microwave. The toilet was installed on a raised 2 inch block that was a toe thumper. Every time you turned around you were hitting a toe on one side or the other.. A very negative point was a severe safety problem due to a lack of any handhold in the shower. If you loose your balance you are a goner. Another needed improvement were the towels and wash cloths which felt like scrub brushes. My wife thought that they would be improved by a fabric softener but I think it was poor quality. In spite of these two things I am glad that we stayed here. There was a nice grocery across the street and a Panera Bread a few doors away.

We parked the car for $23 a night through the hotel and used bus and train. We bought a 7 day Transit pass and used 3 bus lines at the nearest corner. One of them took us directly to the loop area and returned us (Line 22). The Chicago Transit System is very good and many drivers (with one exception) were very friendly and helpful. Due to circumstances of our doing we had to use taxis 3 times and found them expensive.

Two of the taxis were to and from the Apollo Theater that was near by and running The Million Dollar Quartet. It has been running since December 2010 and may run until December 2012. Very enjoyable and we ate great Chicago deep dish pizza at Lou Malenati’s across the street from the theater.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank FloridaGator086

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Saint Joseph, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

I wasn't sure we'd like being out of the downtown area while visiting Chicago. We have found this hotel to be very convenient to transit into the city proper as well as a short walk from Lincoln Park. The neighborhood is safe and friendly; lots of small shops and restaurants. The desk staff is very friendly and helpful. Our room has been immaculately cleaned each day and was sparkling when we arrived. The TV is not a plasma or led, but we didn't come here to watch television. Everyone from the door man to housekeeping staff have been welcoming. If I come back to Chicago, I'll plan to stay here.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Aurora, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

The place was clean and all the staff was very friendly and for the most part helpful (one staff member, valet, sent me in the wrong direction at one point. Breakfast was what you would expect from continental. But rooms were small and the TV (room 304) was not HD (and at times with static that in this day you don't usually see) as my friend down the hall was. They should probably update all rooms. There definitely was street noise but it is Chicago. In the future, I would stay at a multi-story hotel and stay towards the top. Overall the hotel is very basic- no pool or gym. But we didn't spend a lot of time there so I guess that was ok (although I would've had time to work out if there was a gym). I probably would not stay there again but for the price, not bad. One last thing, the mattress and pillows were hard. Between the street noise and that, didn't get restful sleep at all while there.

Room Tip: I guess maybe a room facing the alley. Not a good view but quieter.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

I usually stay in one of the small boutique type hotels in Lincoln Park. Frankly, I decided to stay at this hotel because it was inexpensive and in a good location. I didn't know what to expect. I was really impressed and had a great stay! My room was immaculate and had all the features I needed. The breakfast was very nice and the dining room staff was extremely attentive. The front desk folks were warm, full of smiles and always helpful. I enjoyed my visit and will return. Thanks!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank SoCaArgentino
Lexington, KY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

Unlike the 1 to 2 stars all Days Inns are this is a 5 star hotel! Nice area too. Great staff.

• Stayed April 2012
Winscombe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

I have never written a review while still IN the hotel before but I feel compelled by the nature of the place and the staff, Quite clearly the negative comments of 5 years ago spurred the owners into life and they really have made a silk purse out of a sow's ear! I have never had a hotel room in a capital city at such a reasonable price for such high quality. Sure, it hasn't got a pool...big deal, Lake Michigan is a couple of blocks away if swimming is what you go to a hotel for. I go for comfort, security, friendly staff and access to the main attractions. All these are available without question. From reception greeting me on arrival (thank you, Albert), through to any question I had, be it ever so trivial, I was treated with total courtesy and respect...and the guys on the desk actually know what they're talking about. This hotel should be the flagship of Days Inn, it's nothing fancy to look at but everyone is there for your satisfaction. Rooms immaculate, comfortable beds, adequate breakfast, free wi-fi and buses into town outside your door. I agree, if I had a car, valet parking is expensive but this is a big city....the car is not welcome, there is no space! Come on, try it, for the money you won't be disappointed and if you are then they will want to know about it - they really care!

Room Tip: King size rooms are worth the extra.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Busmantoo
Topeka, KS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

This is a very clean, friendly, well-located hotel. Latasha was extremely patient and kind through many emails as I wanted know all I possibly could about the hotel and the area. We used the valet parking (at $22 a day with in-out privileges it's a bargain here or any other big city) and we were treated wonderfully, which made for an excellent first impression. Check-in was quick and easy and the desk and bell staff were friendly and professional. Our room was a two-queen business class, with a microwave, refrigerator, big closet. and very clean and inviting. We usually do not have housekeeping done when we stay for an extended period of time, except for fresh towels, but this Days Inn insists on cleaning the room after three days, which we thought was an indication of its dedication to cleanliness. The free continental breakfast was fine, no eggs or meat, just pastries, bagels, juice and coffee, and the breakfast area was pleasant. Most of all, we really appreciated the location and the helpfulness of the staff. We normally stay at Marriott properties and have been unimpressed with other Days Inns, but we recommend the Days Inn Chicago. It is in a lovely building in a great neighborhood with a wonderful staff. We did get what we thought was a good deal by booking in advance.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family