“Disappointed”

Ranked #127 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
New York City, New York
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2011

I stayed at Essex Inn because I was attending a conference taking place at the Hilton next door. I was only attending the conference for one day but I must say when I arrived at this hotel, I almost turned right back around. The only reason that I did not was because it was pre-paid. The pictures on their website make this place look much better than it was. The front of the hotel is no frills at all and the rooms are the same. My room was so small and cramped that I could barely put the ironing board up in it. The restaurant was closed and the continental breakfast they offered was awful! If you want a very basic place to stay, this could be acceptable but I was very disappointed after seeing the pictures and the description online. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Alana33

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2011

I stayed at this hotel this my mum and dad who are both in there 50s and my younger brother who is 17 and, we all loved it.
me and my brother shared a room and were supprised that we each had a double bed and not two singles. the beds were very comfy except for the pillows that were a bit hard. the room was quite large and had a huge flat screen tv with all the channels you could ask for. it also came with a mini fridge and coffie and tea making facilities. the bathroom was small but had a seperate room where the sink and mirror were so you could get ready without having to worry about someone needing to use the bathroom. the rooms were cleaned daily and towels also replaced daily. the view from our room was of the hilton opposite and you could see some of the lake. however my pearents room a few doors down had an amazing view of the scears tower.
the hotel did have a swimming pool and gym however we didnt use them as there was so much to see and do in chicago and its all just a short walk from the hotel or a 5 min taxi. The hotel however could do with somemore lifts as we often found ourselves waiting quite a while or that the lift was too full for us to fit. a continental brakfast was also included but it wasn't to our taste, just some muffins and fruit.
the hotel staff were the most helpful i have found in any hotel i have stayed. any question you had they were more than happy to help. I would recomend this hotel to anyone on a budget and staying for a long weekend.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Johannesburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2011

Amazing, amazing, amazing... super helpful staff, there was free shuttles available which would take you to all the top sightseeing, sights! The room was spacious, clean neat and the view we were given was wonderful. This hotel surprised us considering it is classified as a budget hotel. A must stay!!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank angelic046
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2011

I took my children to Chicago for three days during their spring break, and they had a great time. We stayed at the Essex Inn and had a wonderful time. Our room was on the fourth floor where the pool was located. My children loved swimming in the pool every night. Our floor was very quite and the staff was very pleasant. We also used the free shuttle to go downtown, and they even can back to pick us up. We was so pleased that we have decided to book a trip back in June.

Room Tip: Book your visit in advance
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank goodmama3
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2011

We had to move rooms on morning one and request a full refund on day three. We had massive bed bugs and received over 50 bites from the critters. Staff responded fantastically gave us a full refund n paid for the antiseptic stuff we needed to buy. We found four bed bugs,(one squashed) varying from big to little in our bed....disgusting!

• Stayed April 2011
4 Thank xXDominiquePXx

Travellers are raving about these Chicago hotels

Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2011

Just back from the Essex Inn.

The location is classed as "the loop", it is at the very bottom of the loop and it is a good 30 minute walk into the city centre proper.

The hotel is starting to look it's age, rooms are a decent standard but the bathrooms could do with a major overhaul. There is no in room safe but there are safe deposit boxes at reception, they are free and are a little more hassle though. There is a large fridge in the room which was good.

Reception staff were fine if a little uninterested at times. Maids and bell hop were all good and very helpful.

The restaurant was shut for refurbishment but the hotel supplied a complementary American breakfast during this time.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Elk Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2011

We traveled over spring break. The hotel per night average was $129 and we received great service. The pool is a little cold and the free breakfast isn't much but we took advantage of the free shuttles to attractions. The room was clean, it was quiet, we had a good view, but most of all EVERYONE was helpful, polite and generally interested in making sure we had a positive stay. I would recommend this property to others interested in having a great time.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family