“Disappointed”

Chicago's Essex Inn
Ranked #144 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 7 June 2011

Stayed at the Essex Inn for 3 nights following Las Vegas. Appreciate that any hotel would be hard to compare with Vegas spacious rooms etc. Firstly concerned when pulling up to the hotel as it seemed to be closed (paper all up at the windows - this is the restaurant being renovated) but not a good first sign. reception basic but functional. We were 2 adults and one child and was put on the 8th floor. Our room was very very small, two small double beds, hardly any space in the room to accomodate our luggage let alone walking round. Shower basin very dirty, room itself was clean enough but the whole hotel needs renovation. Typical city size hotel room but looking tired and shabby. Swimming pool had bugs floating, spent most of my time in it, fishing the wildlife out. Did not go in the gym. Hotel is in a prime location for Grant Park and the Field Museum etc, but if you want to go to the loop, you must have your walking boots with you as it is at least 30 minute walk (pleasant enough). Taxis are plentiful and not expensive. Hotel has a complimentary continental breakfast consisting of juice, granola bars, muffins or danish. As this is complimentary to us it was an added bonus. In summary economy hotel which needs a total refurb.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Shezza0108

Reviewed 4 June 2011

I stayed at Essex Inn because I was attending a conference taking place at the Hilton next door. I was only attending the conference for one day but I must say when I arrived at this hotel, I almost turned right back around. The only reason that I did not was because it was pre-paid. The pictures on their website make this place look much better than it was. The front of the hotel is no frills at all and the rooms are the same. My room was so small and cramped that I could barely put the ironing board up in it. The restaurant was closed and the continental breakfast they offered was awful! If you want a very basic place to stay, this could be acceptable but I was very disappointed after seeing the pictures and the description online. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Alana33
Reviewed 29 May 2011

I stayed at this hotel this my mum and dad who are both in there 50s and my younger brother who is 17 and, we all loved it.
me and my brother shared a room and were supprised that we each had a double bed and not two singles. the beds were very comfy except for the pillows that were a bit hard. the room was quite large and had a huge flat screen tv with all the channels you could ask for. it also came with a mini fridge and coffie and tea making facilities. the bathroom was small but had a seperate room where the sink and mirror were so you could get ready without having to worry about someone needing to use the bathroom. the rooms were cleaned daily and towels also replaced daily. the view from our room was of the hilton opposite and you could see some of the lake. however my pearents room a few doors down had an amazing view of the scears tower.
the hotel did have a swimming pool and gym however we didnt use them as there was so much to see and do in chicago and its all just a short walk from the hotel or a 5 min taxi. The hotel however could do with somemore lifts as we often found ourselves waiting quite a while or that the lift was too full for us to fit. a continental brakfast was also included but it wasn't to our taste, just some muffins and fruit.
the hotel staff were the most helpful i have found in any hotel i have stayed. any question you had they were more than happy to help. I would recomend this hotel to anyone on a budget and staying for a long weekend.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 May 2011

Amazing, amazing, amazing... super helpful staff, there was free shuttles available which would take you to all the top sightseeing, sights! The room was spacious, clean neat and the view we were given was wonderful. This hotel surprised us considering it is classified as a budget hotel. A must stay!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank angelic046
Reviewed 30 April 2011

I took my children to Chicago for three days during their spring break, and they had a great time. We stayed at the Essex Inn and had a wonderful time. Our room was on the fourth floor where the pool was located. My children loved swimming in the pool every night. Our floor was very quite and the staff was very pleasant. We also used the free shuttle to go downtown, and they even can back to pick us up. We was so pleased that we have decided to book a trip back in June.

Room Tip: Book your visit in advance
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank goodmama3
Reviewed 23 April 2011

We had to move rooms on morning one and request a full refund on day three. We had massive bed bugs and received over 50 bites from the critters. Staff responded fantastically gave us a full refund n paid for the antiseptic stuff we needed to buy. We found four bed bugs,(one squashed) varying from big to little in our bed....disgusting!

• Stayed: April 2011
4  Thank xXDominiquePXx
Reviewed 14 April 2011

Just back from the Essex Inn.

The location is classed as "the loop", it is at the very bottom of the loop and it is a good 30 minute walk into the city centre proper.

The hotel is starting to look it's age, rooms are a decent standard but the bathrooms could do with a major overhaul. There is no in room safe but there are safe deposit boxes at reception, they are free and are a little more hassle though. There is a large fridge in the room which was good.

Reception staff were fine if a little uninterested at times. Maids and bell hop were all good and very helpful.

The restaurant was shut for refurbishment but the hotel supplied a complementary American breakfast during this time.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple