“You Can Do Better...”

Ranked #136 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Toronto
“You Can Do Better...”
Reviewed 30 July 2011

The only reason this hotel is worth considering is the location. Other than that, be prepared to experience confused/unhelpful staff, long waits for an elevator, and less than perfect standards of cleanliness. In other words, you can do better than this place.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank qwerty85

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Location - Fantastic
Room was very dirty. Sheets, bathroom.
Staff were very friendly.
Bad need of remodeling
Will charge you card 75 a nightt for incidentals and will not tell you.
$37 a day to park your car.

• Stayed August 2010
Michigan
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I stayed at this hotel may 2010. I got it for an excellent price and it was at a great location.The hotel seems somewhat outdated, starting with the lobby. I wasn't too impressed with the room either. The bathroom was small and the air conditioner barely worked in our room. It mainly just cooled the area where the air conditioner was, didn't really get the whole room. I saw some pictures on expedia and it wasn't exactly what was portrayed. The bar had a really great staff, but was also outdated and I got served a skunky beer. It is located right across from Grant Park which was great and is in walking distance of the CIA and Millennium park. They do offer a free shuttle to the Navy Pier, but we had issues with it picking us up since it didn't pick you up back at the Navy Pier. The parking garage worked out well, it was around 37 a night. My goal was to find a cheap hotel in Chicago and that is exactly what I got. I personally would not stay there again and would search for a hostel that would probably be the same quality.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank madnotcrazy

Travellers are raving about these Chicago hotels

Katy Texas
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We enjoyed the location of the Essex in for our long weekend in Chicago. It was centrally located near the parks and had a daily free shuttle service to the Shed aquarium, Field museum and planetarium. Nice hotel with indoor pool. They were working on the restaurant when we were there so no food to review. Overall a decent place.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 July 2011

My friends and I stayed here during the 4th of July weekend. It was our first trip to Chicago and had such a convenient and lovely stay at the Essex Inn, that I will definitely be back. We booked this hotel through our travel agent in Australia and were very impressed with the price, convenient location to tourist attractions and the cleanliness and service was fantastic!

We stayed in a standard room with 2 double beds, which comfortably fit 3 people. The hotel was very convenient and easily accessible to a lot of the tourist attractions such as Millennium and Grant parks which was just a few blocks away! Lake Michigan mile was very close and it was lovely to wake up early and take a stroll down there or a jog along the water. We did a hop on/off bus tour with Chicago's Trolleys, a very popular tourist attraction in Chicago, which was a great way to experience the sites and was easily accessible with the frequent stop off/ pick up points along South Michigan Ave.

The Essex Inn pool and gym looked amazing. We had a view of it from our room and it was always very busy. The gym was large and very equipped which was good to work off those few extra calories eaten whilst traveling! It was very convenient the hotel laundry and dryer service and the front desk was more than happy to exchange money for quarters. The free wifi was a bonus!

The hotel restaurant was not finished and opened when we were there but from the other reviews read, it sounds lovely. We ended up just walking to nearby cafes to get food etc.

The hotel was also very convenient to a nearby blues club which was great to experience some of the local nightlife!

There is really no faults during our stay at this hotel and will definitely be back for our next trip to Chicago :)

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Mechanicsburg, PA
Reviewed 24 July 2011

I was in Chicago to atttend a business meeting at the Hilton that I attended last summer without my wife. I brought her this year and rented a suite for a week because my stay a at The Essex Inn last year was postive. The Essex Inn is conveniently located, clean (enough), the front room (suites) along N. Michigan have a great view and large rooms, good service, and the hotel is adjacent to the services of the Hilton. The suites have OK refrigerators, no utensils, and need microwaves. I'd stay here again under similar circumstances. Restaurant is new. Though food quality is OK, I found it to be intolerably slow. There are too many great restaurants in Chicago to be average and successful.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Flint, Michigan
Reviewed 14 July 2011

The morning of the day we arrived there were storms in Chicago. The next morning when I got off the elevator the bell man greeted me with the forecast and a cheerful Good Morning. We swam in the pool and as we were getting out the life guard got up and brought us towels before we could reach out seats. We dined at Tribute (the hotel's restaurant) starting our day off great with gourmet breakfasts. Even the toast was remarkable! I went to the desk to ask about a bus schedule as we were on a budget. There wasn't one available, but the desk person gave me walking directions. Then offered the Shuttle to the museum. "I'll get my friends." When we arrived back to the desk I was sure the shuttle would have left. The desk man was out in the garage holding the shuttle. We were very impressed. We are already planning a trip back. I think I am more excited about staying at The Essex again than seeing Chicago.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends