“Well located for Aquarium and Bean”

Chicago's Essex Inn
Ranked #140 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights at the start of our Route 66 tour. We found the welcome was warm and room large and comfortable, if not a little dated. There is an incredible pool on site. Make sure to buy VIP aquarium tickets from the hotel as this enables you to skip the lines and are cheaper than at the aquarium. Hotel is within walking distance of the bean and other sites and restaurants and offers a free shuttle bus to the aquarium.

We ate breakfast at Yolk which was a 2 min walk and was the best breakfast we have had EVER!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sarah C
There are newer reviews for Chicago's Essex Inn

Reviewed 15 November 2013

The hotel is vintage. Although rooms and common spaces have been updated the plumbing is a bit tired.
The staff were not tired. The staff were friendly and helpful.
The room was mostly clean except for 3 long black hairs in the shower and tub either from the cleaning person or a previous guest I assume.
If you want lots of hot water, you'll want to shower early or after the morning rush. It was warm enough to shower but better when there is less demand on the boiler.
It is a bit of a hike to some places but awesome if you plan on the museums and Willis (aka Sears) tower.
A taxi, if you choose one, is about $7 to the Hancock building, but the transit is very close too.

Room Tip: The rooms with a Partial view are pretty good if close to Michigan. Father back... not as good.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Wow wow and wow...

I can only come up with Plus's for this hotel.
Firstly, it has great staff on all levels! Everyone is friendly and tries to make your stay unforgettable.
Secondly, location can simply not be beaten for a tourist. You are within walking distance to all of Chicago's main sights and if really you want to venture out a bit, the subway is only 2 blocks away.

We arrived quite late as our flight was delayed and as we knew a conference was about to take place in Chicago while we were there, we called up front to let the hotel know we were on our way. The lady said they kept some nice rooms for us and not to worry about it at all, the rooms were guaranteed.
When we got there the personal approach I really really enjoyed as she recalled it was us calling earlier and really showed an interest as to how the journey was etc.

The rooms that we got assigned were all on the 7th floor and had side views towards the lake.
All rooms were super clean, came with a fridge, airco, large flatscreen and 2 very comfortable queen size beds.

During ouronly 2 nights there I really think I fell in love with Chicago due to the directions and tips of the staff of the Chicago's Essex Inn. They had some great tips for restaurants, theatre tickets and sightseeing tips.

We did not have breakfast at the hotel so cannot comment on that side of things but overall if life ever brings me back to Chicago, there is no other place in Chicago I would want to stay!

Chicago's Essex inn, my home away from home in Chicago! Loved it... Thanks for everything!

Room Tip: Only tip I would give people is to ask for a room away from the elevators, they can be a little nois...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank dutchboy81
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Stayed 3 nights at the Chicago's Essex.
Good location. The tour hop on hop off bus stop is only some 200 metres from the hotel.
Comfortable clean room.
Friendly Staff.
Breakfast and Dinner in the restaurant/bar very good. Free WiFi.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bob0007
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by my Essex stay. The reviews have been mixed so I was prepared for the worst. The hotel has clearly been remodeled recently and while it is by no means ornate, it has pleasant "vibe" to it. The room was larger than I expected (again, given the reviews). I've stayed at other hotels in downtown Chicago at twice the price and had smaller rooms. The toilet and the bath tub where the only 2 fixtures which had not been replaced. The toilet might be a bit small for a larger person that me. Clearly people were smaller when the hotel was originally built. Basic internet service was included with the room, so I could check email for free. Watching NFL video highlights, however, required purchasing a $8.95 upgrade. Overall a very good experience if opulence is not a requirement.

Room Tip: All rooms that end in "06" are across from the elevators. For example, my room was 1506...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank mde6335
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We stayed two nights. We had two rooms. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms were a bit worn, one room had a non-functional outlet, and the shower was weak in one room, but I'd recommend the hotel overall.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 4 November 2013

My husband & I stayed here with our 2 kids. Location is walking distance to the Shedd Aquarium and Field Museum. Hotel staff was very friendly and helpful and the pool was really nice too. Our room was clean and well-kept, but HOT. Not sure why it was so warm in there. We called and complained, maintence came to fix the heat, but it didn't help. That was our only complaint with the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family