“Avoid room 1106”

Chicago's Essex Inn
Ranked #143 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Average type of hotel, it did look from the outside a poor relation to the Hilton complex next door.
We were allocated room 1106 which had a great view of the park and a partial view of the lake, the room was of an average size with a small bathroom, the lighting wasn't great and it could of done with a spruce up. Worst of all it was located really close to the lifts and on the last night of our three night stay it was extremely noisy literally through the night. The other two nights were bearable, just.
Free wifi which was a bonus though and the location was spot on. Would I stay again ? probably, but I would ask for a room away from the lifts.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from the lifts.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,073)

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I stayed here after finishing a trip across America in a camper van so for me the bedroom was definitely a little element of luxury. When you arrive at the hotel you would never guess how nice and big the rooms are with all the extras (we were delighted to have good tv, hair dryers, clean bathrooms and big cosy beds). It is definitely a hotel you can relax in. I didn't make use of the restaurant but some of the other people I was with did and said they do a great breakfast! One of the major perks of staying here is the free shuttle bus. It goes to show that they really know their typical guests (everyone is a tourist). The shuttle bus will take you to nearly all the major attractions. The only complaint I would have about this hotel is the leisure centre. I really felt like it didn't carry the same ethos as the hotel. It was actually filthy. With bugs floating around on the top. The sauna just did not seem to be working at all, it may have been slightly warmer then outside and the door didn't even close properly. There was no changing facility. It felt like a dingy public pool rather than a hotel pool. The only other person in the room was this lifeguard who just made the whole thing unsettling as she sat in silence and watched you in the pool. Very weird.

1  Thank S3vans77
Reviewed 6 June 2014

To whom it may concern,

My husband and I recently stayed three nights at The Essex Inn, ( 3rd, 4th and 5th of June). We had the most amazing time, large in part to the reception staff. April especially went out of her way to ensure that my husband and I enjoyed our little getaway. She was always there to offer assistance, wether it was directions, or suggestions of where to go and what to do, everything she suggested made our trip a little more special. It's a great location, catch the number 3 bus right outside to go up or down Michigan ave..or walk 3blocks to the redline train ( to wrigley field). Use the self park behind the hotel, it's $20 a day credit only, and is easily accessible. Grant park, the aquarium, planetarium, soldiers field, the art institute all walking distance. Also the best breakfast is 2-3 blocks towards rosevelt is a place called YOLK, great fresh food and cheap! Can't say enough great things about the hotel and it's surroundings. Also has a great pool with lifeguard!

Room Tip: Single rooms are small, but fine for 1-2 people. if traveling with family get a suite.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Tia G
Reviewed 4 June 2014

The front desk staff was average at best. Not very friendly at all. The bell staff was nice and friendly. The room was very nice and the bed was amazing. I would just say work with your front desk on being a little more friendly. The pool was amazing.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
GMEssexInn, Manager at Chicago's Essex Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Good Day,

Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know how your stay was. I would really like to speak with you directly. At your convienece, please contact me at jscott@essexinn.com

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Although I didn't eat, drink or take advantage of the concierge service, on the location, price and room alone I couldn't fault our stay at the Essex in. The Hotel staff were super friendly, wishing us a nice day and welcoming us back to the hotel every time we past reception. They were always eager to please and ensure we got the most from our stay too, with lots of helpful tips and suggestions. Likewise, the complimentary shuttle bus around the main sites of Chicago, in room coffee maker (with decent coffee) and free wifi were real nice personal touches.
The main public areas and pool/fitness facilities were much better than I expected too for the price and standard of the hotel. Great panoramic views from the roof top garden; fantastic for sunsets and those all important holiday snaps!
Unfortunately, I didn't get to dine at the hotel or relax in the bar, as there was just so much to do in Chicago itself and the hotel was perfectly placed for just about everything. I found a fantastic cafe a few doors down that served the most delicious breakfasts that I couldn't find myself to eat anywhere else in the morning either.
Hallways and rooms were a bit dated but clean, spacious and had everything you needed ( although very minimum hanging/wardrobe space).
Really easy to get to and from the airport too. Don't bother with expensive taxis or shuttle services, the train is only approx $5 from the airport. Although there were lots of stops, I still believe we arrived quicker than had we had of used alternative means; the roads all looked congested when we could see the from the train windows.
All in all, would definitely recommend for its friendliness , location and views. This hotel could teach the bigger chains a few things or two on customer service!

4  Thank Hudds-Steve
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Good clean hotel close to everything ,food good downstairs at bistro ,pool was a little cold ,but clean and quiet a1,staff very helpfull and friendly ,well positioned to the centre of Chicago,easy access to everything nice place to people watch at breakfast through big windows.

1  Thank paul g
Reviewed 30 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at Chicago Essex for 3 nights and since we booked at last minute, we could only book 2 nights through 3rd party website and 1 night directly to the hotel. The first front desk attendant we spoke was nice and helpful quoting us a double bed room for $200 something and Zoe who was the reservation manager told us the suite room was $300 something. Then after half an hour we decided to go for suite room $300 and the second front desk attendant ( I don't remember her name) told us they never quoted their customers those prices. She stated that the double room was $319 and the suite room was $400 something. What??? She was so rude and had us to talk to Zoe again over the phone. Zoe insisted that she didn't quote those prices. Are you serious? Is it how you make money? The all story doesn't make any sense! We cannot but book the double room $319 since we didn't have other places to stay. The room was clean but small. We could hear the noisy from our next room. The good thing about Chicago Essex is its location! But I would never stay here again due to their unprofessional service and dishonesty.

2  Thank Christy S
GMEssexInn, Manager at Chicago's Essex Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Christy,
Thank you very much for your detailed feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to give us more information and would like to discuss your stay with you directly. Please send an email to jscott@essexinn.com at your convenience.