“Going to Chicago? STAY HERE!!!”

Chicago's Essex Inn
Ranked #129 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Cincinnati
“Going to Chicago? STAY HERE!!!”
Reviewed 9 November 2010

I spend several days this past October at Chicago's Essex Inn and can't say enough GOOD about this place.

I have 3 small children and from the time I met the General Manager, Andy, in the lobby of the hotel to the time we checked out, we were treated to service far above the price of the room!

The location was perfect, the room clean and the entire experience more than I was expecting.

Stay here on your next trip, and tell Andy I sent you!!!

Kevin

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
Allen Park,MI
Reviewed 23 October 2010

Great hotel. We went for a convention at the Hilton, the Essex is right next door. Rooms are small, but clean. Fridge in every room. On the weekends, they offer a free shuttle to downtown locations. Very friendly, accomodating staff. We had adjoining rooms which was nice for our group. They did charge to store bags when we checked out, but only $1.00 pp. It was worth it, because bellman had a cab when we needed it to get to the airport, and our luggage was loaded and ready to go. All in all, the hotel was perfect for our needs.

Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank jsjkgoodell
Kirkwood, Missouri
Reviewed 15 October 2010

Our family went up to Chicago to see a Chicago Fire game. There were 6 adults and 4 young kids in our group. It must have been a busy weekend because we had a hard time finding a reasonably priced hotel in the downtown area and ended up at the Essex Inn.

Overall it was a good hotel stay - the location was across the street from the Field Museum and Millennium Park, which the kids loved - and it was close to a very good breakfast place called Yolk, which is a couple of blocks south of the hotel. If we had to, we would stay here again, although it wouldn't be our first choice.

Pros:
+ Decent location
+ Reasonable price
+ Heated indoor pool (kids loved it!)
+ Clean rooms

Cons
- Smaller room size (tiny bathrooms)
- Inability to control the heat/cooling - it's central unit that you really can't change
- Charges for wireless

Other notes:
We had requested, upon booking, that our rooms be adjoining, but when we got there they could not accommodate our request. Unfortunately we ended up on 3 different floors, although all at the same end of the hotel, so the back-and-forth wasn't too bad. Our room had a decent view and the windows went all the way to the floor, so our kids thought that was super cool.

My brother and sister-in-law's room seemed to have issues regulating the temperature so they were constantly battling with being too hot or cold. They eventually asked for a different room and the hotel did accommodate their request fairly quickly. The room they moved into was ok, temperature-wise.

The valet parking is pretty expensive at the hotel itself ($34+ per day), but if you don't mind public parking lots there is one right behind the hotel (1 block directly west) where the daily rates were like $18 a day.

We didn't require much from the hotel in terms of service, so I can't really speak to that.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank charlooza
Ontario
Reviewed 11 October 2010

Hotel was clean bathrooms are very small and some with shower only. Air conditioning was not working well but only needed it one night. Staff were great helped get taxi and shuttle as needed and helped with directions. Restaurant was good nothing fancy. Hotel need some updating but beds were comfortable. Great for our short stay with Grant Park across the road,area was safe to walk in.

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank rondakar
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed 10 October 2010

Pros: quiet, friendly staff, convenient location
Cons: terrible room temperature, uncomfortable beds, not clean, grungy

This hotel is not nearly as nice as the photos on the website make it look. The room is dark and dingy; sheets have small holes in them, furniture is worn, sink was clogged. On the second day, I came back to my room to find a huge fan on the floor. The next-door room had flooded and our floor was wet. The front desk people were polite but didn't offer to do anything about it. I don't think they were planning to clean the carpet either, which made me feel that the entire hotel was extremely dirty. In addition, the heating/cooling system was awful and out-of-date. It was a "2-pipe system" so the hotel determined the temperature and the room only controlled whether the fan was on or off. The beds were hard and between that and the hot room I didn't sleep well at all. Oh, and I paid for Internet ($5.95 for 24 hours) but it didn't work well at all; I lost the wireless connection every 5 minutes.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank wsujen
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 9 October 2010

This was my birthday vacation, I take one every year. I arrived in Chicago at 10 am, Saturday morning, March 20, 2010. It was really cold and rainy with light snow, my check in time at the hotel was in the afternoon, but I came straight from Union station to the Essex. I had no problem getting my room as soon as I got there, I was so thankful for that, I was wet and cold and the hotel made it all better with my nice warm room waiting for me regardless of the time. The staff was very helpful and very polite, I had everything I needed, The food was excellent, I have nothing but fond memories of my birthday stay in Chicago. My room was neat and clean, The hotel was close to where I wanted to go for the weekend. The weather improved a bit, but it was March in Chicago, no doubt, The Essex was everything I had hoped for, I had no problems, check in was amazing as well as check out, very smooth on all counts, Yes I would visit again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
dublin
Reviewed 8 October 2010

the best thing about this hotel are the staff they were always polite and helpful. the hop on hop off tour bus stops right outside which was very handy for sightseeing. the only bad thing i would say about the hotel is ,the first night we arrived we ate in the restaurant in the hotel and i wouldnt recommend it , the food was just about average.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends