“Great location but Hotel Needs some work”

Travelodge Hotel Downtown Chicago
Ranked #134 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
New York
“Great location but Hotel Needs some work”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I am a budget traveler. I booked a southwest vacation and selected this hotel. The location was fantastic. The hotel not so much. I found a roach in the tub and the toilet keeps on flushing. I also notice that the elevator takes forever to show up. I stayed on the 5th floor so I climbed up and down the stairs because I didn't want to wait for the elevator. The hotel is conveniently located off the L line. The closest station was off the red line on Harrison station. Midway Airport was the 30 minute ride and you have the option of either getting off at the main library station or the Roosevelt station.

If you plan to spend more than 3 days chicago I would strongly recommend getting a 3 day metro cta pass.

I would not necessarily recommend this hotel to others but I would stay there myself just because of the proximity to the park and to the lake front.

Room Tip: Elevators are slow....... select a lower floor...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Turkish first
Chicago
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed here based on the recomendation from my Wyndham Rewards account. The hotel is remodeled from an older hotel which is great however, the remodel is not done very well. I requested extra pillows one evening and they had still not received them the next day. The highlight of the stay was the very kind Bell Man who took us on a ride in the original elevator which was very cool. It's great for the price when you consider the prices of the other hotels in Downtown Chicago and it's a great location!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

1 Thank Marlyn S
Austin
Reviewed 10 August 2014

The staff I met were all extremely friendly and helpful. I needed a room last minute and there was one available for not a terrible price for the location. The room was a bit dirty because it is all very old, and the curtains didn't quite cover the entire window, which was unnerving for me staying alone, but everything was fine and turned out to be a nice cozy room. Would go back again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

2 Thank Karen G
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Room was OK and clean. Most of the hotel was a little dated. The lift broke down for my entire stay, which wasn't a problem for me, and they had a guy doing the lifts manually. The worst thing about the room was the subway right outside which seemed to run every 10 minutes and was noisy. Other than that, not bad

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Richard S
Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed 9 August 2014

It's important to understand what you are getting here. This is an old hotel (built in 1930). It's not a fancy newly renovated hotel. If you are looking for that, then pony up more money and stay at one of the Chicago hotels that has rooms costing a lot more money. But if you're looking for a nice, clean room at a GREAT location - and a fantastic value for your money - then this is a good place to stay.

We come to Chicago a few times a year, and in particular we come to the Lollapalooza Music Festival each August. We get two rooms at a great price. The staff here has always been exceptionally good to us. The rooms are surprisingly large (we had two queen beds and a kitchenette in very spacious rooms). The staff went out of their way to be VERY helpful, and made our stay special (they always do).

There are some very reasonable restaurants nearby that have GREAT food. Grant Park is just a couple blocks East of the hotel.....a nice short walk away. We parked right across the street and the parking for hotel guests was very reasonable, and the people there were very nice too. We needed to make some special arrangements with the parking garage, and they were wonderful to work with.

Sometimes I do spend the extra money to stay at one of the fancier Chicago hotels. But honestly, I like this old place just as much as those high priced hotels. But don't come to this place expecting anything fancy. It's old. Not fancy at all.

The free wi-fi is nice too.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends