“Reasonable prices downtown”

Travelodge Hotel Downtown Chicago
Ranked #138 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Given the insane cost of downtown hotels, this location is great for a short term stay at a reasonable cost. The closest major attraction is Museum Campus, which includes the planetarium and field museum. The Art Institute is also pretty close. Theres a Thai restaurant connected to the lobby that we didn't try, but its a convenient dining option. The rooms are comfortable and clean and the staff is friendly. Nothing outstanding here, but its a nice place to lay your head and not think about going bankrupt.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Travelodge Hotel Downtown Chicago

Reviewed 16 August 2014

I booked this room through Southwest Airlines to get points, then read the reviews it got so initially I had an idea of what to expect. Despite all the poor reviews on rude staff, in the brief encounters I had at the desk, they were professional and pleasant. One morning I past the housekeeper in the hall and smiled with a "good morning" and only got a grunt sound back, but who cares?

The room was VERY small which was just right because it was only me. It was outdated but clean to its best ability. I will mention that the bed was short which I read in a previous review. I'm 5'8" and my feet hung over the edge past the ankles.

Pros: nice room for the price if you don't expect or need much. Walking distance to most attractions including the L train which will take you anywhere else. It was summer time when I was here and the small window AC unit was on the whole time and kept the room icy cold!!!

Cons: old run down structure with few amenities. WiFi is free but basically non existent in my room (9th floor). The elevators are very very slow. I suggest taking the stairs if you're not pulling luggage. The TV did not work.

Overall it was as I said "expected" after reading the reviews. There were a few pleasant surprises but mostly "you get what you paid for".

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from S. Wabash to stay clear of the train noise. I had a unit on the southeast...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 August 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Chicago ain't cheap and Travelodge offered a rate that met a tight budget. Chicago is a nice walkable city and, whilst it wasn't central to the main action, the Travelodge is fairly close to the areas you would want to go. The area itself seems quite safe.

The staff are welcoming and professional. My room was on the 8th floor. Even so, the noise of traffic and particularly the railway line filled the room. Ear plugs solved this dilemma for a good night's rest. The aircon in the room was old but worked. The room itself was relatively compact, modest and clean. The bed mattress seemed quite old, but comfortable.

Overall, though not a very sexy stay, the Travelodge provided for a comfortable and convenient stay on a budget.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Durazzo
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My expectations were not high for this hotel and I was still disappointed. I got a single bed room and paid extra for the one with a desk - as others have commented, it is quite small. The carpet is dirty - looks like it hasn't been vacuumed. The rooms do not have an iron and ironing board - you have to ask the front desk and they will bring it up. The windows and walls have NO sound insulation. You can hear every car, every siren and the train whose tracks are right outside the window. I got the extra special room directly across from the elevator, so I can hear when the elevator dings and when people are walking in the hall. If you need a good night's sleep or are traveling for business - I would definitely opt for another option. It's worth the money to skip the aggravation and poor nights rest.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jen W
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I am a budget traveler. I booked a southwest vacation and selected this hotel. The location was fantastic. The hotel not so much. I found a roach in the tub and the toilet keeps on flushing. I also notice that the elevator takes forever to show up. I stayed on the 5th floor so I climbed up and down the stairs because I didn't want to wait for the elevator. The hotel is conveniently located off the L line. The closest station was off the red line on Harrison station. Midway Airport was the 30 minute ride and you have the option of either getting off at the main library station or the Roosevelt station.

If you plan to spend more than 3 days chicago I would strongly recommend getting a 3 day metro cta pass.

I would not necessarily recommend this hotel to others but I would stay there myself just because of the proximity to the park and to the lake front.

Room Tip: Elevators are slow....... select a lower floor...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo