“No free internet!”

Hilton Chicago
Ranked #103 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 30 December 2011

Amazing and well preserved hotel. Rooms and public areas are well kept and of high quality. Location is a bit away from the busier areas of downtown, but still walkable to Grant Park and close to an L station. I really liked this hotel, but the major downside was that there was no free internet, not even in the lobby. This is the only reason I wouldn’t stay here again – everything else was great!

Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Hilton Chicago

Reviewed 29 December 2011

We stayed the night of December 22, 2011. We were there for a party in the hotel that was slated to finish at 2am. The party was magnificent and the hotel is perfect for any grand party. After all Queen Elizabeth had a dinner for 7000 people here during her tour of America in 1951, who could resist- it is a magnificent room and the stairs and the halls around the ballroom are perfect for any dramatic event. BUT the hotel knowing that we would probably get to bed very late put us on the 15th floor- BEWARE the four floors below us were under serious construction and at 7:30!!! AM the jack hammering, sawing and banging began. WOW if this were a New York apartment building the workmen wouldn't be allowed in the door before 9:30. What are they thinking? The hotel manager, after my calling at 7:30, 8:30 and 9:30 did take off all the room charges and the room service charges which I feel was fair. But be warned: do ask all about the construction and where it is and WHY it starts at 7:30AM!! before you book a room here. Now that being said. We had tea in the Irish pub and it was probably the only time in the US that I have had a proper cup of tea rather than a pot- they actually put the teabag into the cup before the boiling water! The breakfast was also wonderful. Not a prepackaged piece of butter or jam in sight- both in their own individual small container and delicious jam it was. A lovely breakfast. Our room service dinner was very good too. So top marks for the catering. We also had a charming view of the lake. Fantastic location next to the lake. So on every other level this was a wonderful hotel. Just beware and I hope the construction ends before your stay.

Room Tip: Check on where the construction is in the hotel and avoid it- they start very early and unless you a...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Doris A, Manager at Hilton Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments as it relates to your stay. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation of the Hilton Chicago and its location. We are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed our Irish pub Kitty O’sheas and your overall dining experiences during your visit. We have a long and hard earned reputation for guest satisfaction and it is always good to hear that our hotel is meeting and exceeding the expectations of our guests.
Please except our sincerest apologies for the noise you experienced from our renovation project we are undergoing. We work very hard to try and minimize noise and inconveniences to our guests and ask that you please pardon us during this time.

We look forward to many more years of serving you in the true spirit of hospitality for which Hilton Hotels is known.

Reviewed 23 December 2011

This grand hotel is full of history and is a visual treat. It is also massive with 1000s of rooms. I was glad to see some renovation was in the works and hope more is coming. The rooms I believe were last updated in the 1980s and it shows but not to say they weren't acceptable. I wouldn't stay here if having an ultra modern room was the goal. No, you stay here for the location and the lake views and the historic feel. The grand ballroom is a must see. The front desk was friendly and even upgraded us to the executive lounge when we checked in. Anything Hilton can do to make it feel less of a massive hotel would be encouraged. I think everyone should check this hotel out at least once.

Room Tip: Go for the lake view room
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AKurt
Doris A, Manager at Hilton Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your great comments! It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation of the Hilton Chicago and with the quality of service you received from our staff. We have a long and hard earned reputation for guest satisfaction and it is always good to hear that our hotel is meeting and exceeding the expectations of our guests. We are currently in our 2nd phase of a renovation project that will bring our guests new and exciting changes to guest room accommodations. We truly hope you will visit us in the future to experience these new changes.

Reviewed 22 December 2011

Stayed here for a three night stay with Mrs. Gardiner and Kiddo. Upgraded to a very, very nice suite.

We’d stayed here (all 3 of us) in 2005 for a large conference, and they needed a renovation then… Well, renovation now partially completed. (More on that later) Our room was terrific, well appointed and clean. Beds were comfy, and flat screen tvs were nice.

That said, there were touch screen computers on the desks, and access to anything of value was behind a firewall. At check-in, I was given instructions for wifi (which worked great), but the desk computers are clearly designed to be little profit centres. Please, don’t throw fancy tech at me and then give me a choice between my tech for free or your tech for cost… you’re going to lose. I used the USBs for charging ports, but nothing more. Couldn’t even get weather on them… which I CAN get at a Courtyard…

Also, I was disappointed that in a 2-room suite there was NOT an in-room safe. You got two mini-bars and a dorm fridge in there, but no in-room safe. Big omission for a property of this caliber.

Then (and I write this first half of Dec 2011) they had only ONE restaurant open, and that was Kitty’s Pub… Either they have spent enormous amounts of money to hire Disney to engineer and recreate an authentic, dark, grungy, dirty, well worn Irish pub, or they have a dark, grungy, dirty, well worn pub that badly needs to be renovated. We ate there one evening, and certainly never went back… Kiddo had dinosaur chicken fingers and mashed potatoes… they didn’t even get those right. There were four adults and one Kiddo for dinner, and NONE of us finished our dinner. Jeepers. So, until they have other food options, be aware of this. (Nice looking restaurant reno across from Front Desk, but that’s only open for Breakfast, so you’re at their mercy for lunch/dinner) In short, a dire lack of in-house dining.

Nearby, I can verify that Eleven Deli (Wabash at 11th) was quite good, as was Tamarind (Asian, on Wabash, 200 feet from Hilton’s porte cochere ). Both are a short walk from the Hilton. (Of course, short walk is a relative term in Chicago in the winter…)

Concierge Lounge was reasonably nice. Evenings had two hot dishes and a full selection of soft drinks and coffees. Wine and Beer selections were available, although they never tell you precisely what wine they served. Also, $8.50 for a glass of unidentified Pinot Grigio was a bit steep when a very nice Kiwi Sauv Blanc was available in the lobby for $9. GM, please help me out here… make me feel like you and Hilton want me back.

Breakfast was Continental, with NO hots, no chafing dishes. Big bagel selection, variety of pastries and cereals… Fully acceptable, and the staff was friendly and helpful.

I did use the Parcel Shipping Center, and the gentleman there happily taped together two boxes for me, and wouldn’t charge me. Nice. Very nice.

So, this was our second visit to this Hilton property. Looks much nicer now, but the lack of restaurants is a serious drawback at this time… If eating in will be important to you, check what is open/finished there.

Would I return? Probably so. I’ve stayed at the Hyatt Regency, the Hyatt McCormick, the Sheraton, the Marriott, the Allerton, and so on. It depends on what I am doing and where I need to be. Yes, I’d go back, but if location was not an issue, I’d probably choose further North in the city.

It was a good stay, not great... Maybe if F&B had been better, I could've gone with four stars.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments as it relates to your recent stay. We are pleased to hear you found your 2 bedroom suite accommodations “terrific” and to hear of your appreciation with the quality of service you received from our staff and of the Concierge lounge. Please except our sincere apologies for your dining experiences during your visit. It appears we fell short in meeting your expectations during your visit, especially as it relates to our Irish pub. Your comments certainly do not exhibit the service we strive to provide our guests on a daily basis. Please be assured your comments will be shared and discussed with the restaurant management team.

Staying connected is important, after reviewing your comments about our internet rates I am pleased to inform you that in addition to the hourly plans we offer 24-hour plans starting at $14.99 and 5-day package plans at $39.99. Also by enrolling in our Hilton Hhonors program all of our Gold and Diamond VIP members receive complimentary internet access during each of their stays. Enrollment is free and can be done online or by calling our customer service line at 1-800-HHONORS.
I understand that internet service is critical to getting work done, we have dedicated our hardwire and wireless systems to run off a 100-Meg Metro E Circuit. Powered by AT&T when purchasing any internet services you will also receive onsite technical assistance along with 24-hour technical support via our help line.
I am excited to inform you that as of January 1st 2012 we will be offering complimentary wireless internet access in the lobby and restaurants of our hotel.
Our newly renovated restaurant 720 South Bar & Grill is currently open only for breakfast however, will be open for lunch and dinner beginning January 12th. Again, we ask that you accept our apologies as we complete the finishing touches required in order to open for all meal periods.
The Hilton Chicago is also currently undergoing its 2nd phase of the renovations project which includes renovating some of our guest room accommodations. We are delighted to inform you that with these new guestroom renovations we will now include in-room safes and refrigerators as requested by guests such as yourself.

We are thrilled to hear you would return to the Hilton Chicago and we truly look forward to serving you in the true spirit of hospitality for which Hilton hotels are known.

Reviewed 19 December 2011

We stayed here in December to attend the Joffrey Ballet at the Auditorium Theater (just 2 blocks away) and visit the Art Institute (about 6 blocks away). This is a great location for the South Loop, and also reasonably close to the Loop north of the river. It's a very large, older hotel, but the rooms are in good shape and well furnished. Our room with two double beds also had two full bathrooms. Room service food was excellent, and the breakfast buffet was way beyond the normal -- well prepared eggs, french toast, etc, delicious pastries and an omelet bar. The room rate was reasonable for Chicago. We had an interior room, and it would be worth asking for a room with a view of the lake. Parking was expensive but convenient.

Reviewed 16 December 2011

Overall very nice hotel. We had gone to the Bears game that weekend and could not have asked for a better location. The Bears players were actually staying here too for the night before the game. The hotel is nice. Rooms a little dated but the common areas are updated and very nice. The only downsides were the parking. The self lot was full so the only option for parking was valet at $55.00 for the night. IF we wanted to park at the hotel, it was the only option. Also the fitness center. You can walk the track or use the pool complimentary but were charged to use the fitness equipment. But overall, it was a great location for what we needed for the weekend and we would stay here again.

Room Tip: ask for upgraded room if available.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and our location and that we can expect future visits from you. We have a long and hard earned reputation for guest satisfaction and it is always good to know that our hotel is meeting and exceeding the expectations of our guests. Please except our sincere apologies for the added charges. We hope it was not too big of an inconvenience. Chicago does have high parking prices and we do our very best to continue to bring our guests one of the most compatible rates for the downtown area.

Reviewed 14 December 2011

I recently spent 2 nights here on a visit to the University of Chicago. Beyond a good S. Michigan location there is little to recommend. The hotel was almost sold out to convention visitors and I checked in later in the day. The first room offered was tiny with a partial view of an interior roof. The staff cheerfully and promptly found me another but it really wasn't much better. The bathroom was tiny, ill-lit and redolent of cigarette smoke from another room....or was the the odor counteractant? One tiny window with an interior view added to the gloom. The walls, furniture and furnishings were tattered and chipped. And it's sad: I have stayed at this hotel for decades; first as an excited young child seeing his first big city, later when searching for a college and still later over holidays with my own young family. It has beautiful bones but faces perhaps insurmountable challenges with too many small rooms and out of date mechanicals.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments as it relates to your recent stay. We agree the Hilton Chicago does have beautiful bones and with this being said, I am delighted to inform you we are currently undergoing renovations of our guest rooms so that we can bring our guests new and modern changes. We hope you will come visit us in the future and experience these new and exciting changes.