“5 Stars! Highly recommend.”
Review of Hilton Chicago

Hilton Chicago
Ranked #100 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
North Canton, Ohio, United States
“5 Stars! Highly recommend.”
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Firstly I want to say in my experience, hilton hotels are far superior to starwood properties. I would always recommend hiltons over starwood.

That said, this hotel did not disappoint. It is so grand when you walk in - beautiful and opulent! We are hilton honors diamond elite members, and the service was superb. Our room was very nice, with a great corner view of the Navy Pier. However, I should note that the room was very small.

The executive lounge had very good breakfast, and nice views. The service in the lounge however was not up to par. There was one woman there and she was pretty rude.

Overall the hotel was beautiful, in a great location for us on business and had overall great service. If you are staying as a tourist however, note you may need to take cabs often. This hotel is not really within walking distance to a lot of places. Other than that, I would highly recommend!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,185)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Absolutely beautiful hotel you're blown away by it as soon as you walk in the door! Even before you get to the door you are helped with all your luggage and asked how you're doing and things like that. There was no one in the honors line so check in was very easy! The desk staff asked us if we wanted to upgrade to the newly renovated floor, we did and I highly reccomend it. We were on the 14th floor and it was the nicest floor that I saw in the hotel! Getting ready in the morning is also very easy because there are two bathrooms in all the hotel rooms! So you never have to fight for the bathroom.
The restaurants are also very good the first night I was there I went to Kitty Osheas and had fish and chips they were very good! I went to the other restaurant the next morning had a nutella waflle it was delicous! It was probably the best thing I ate in Chicago, but if you can't eat a lot in the mornings I suggest you share it with a friend it's veryy filling!!
The hotel is also located in a very nice spot in Chicago its right infront of a huge park that's beautiful and I was down there during loolapalooza so if you ever got bored you could walk over to the park and watch someone perform. I read a couple other reviews about it not being close to the magic mile or navy pier that's not true. It's a decent sized walk but if you're not lazy it's not a big deal at all. It's also a good way to burn off all the deep dish pizza! If you don't like walking though there are always a lot of taxis infront of the hotel so it's very easy to get one.

I hope this review helped message me if you have questions! :) I'll be glad to help, but you deffinitely wont regret this trip!

Room Tip: Try to get on the 14th floor, its very quiet and the rooms are nice! I was in room 1474 and it was o...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
North Bergen, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 August 2012

The room with a king size bed was small, the bathroom was also small, not what I expect from a Hilton of that price.
The gym was excellent, but at an additional charge.  The restaurants in the hotel were pricy, offered limited selection and we experienced poor service. There are 2 excellent Japanese-Thai type restaurants about 1 block away, behind the hotel.
The electric plug in the bathroom was hiding behind the towel rack; had to removed the towels to plug any electric devices

Room Tip: The rooms with double bed seems larger; ask for a room with a view of the park
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
DMcArdle, Manager at Hilton Chicago, responded to this review, 7 August 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation of the athletic club.

Please accept our sincerest apology for the disappointments you experienced with the guestroom, added charges and your dining experience. Please be assured, we work hard to maintain one of the most competitive pricings for the downtown area.

Our goal is to always provide the finest in guest services and we take it very seriously when we fail to do so. Please contact my assistant Doris @ 312.431.6962 or doris.amidei@hilton.com so that she may obtain details of your dining experience and I will personally speak to the department head to ensure such disappointments are not repeated.

Again, I would like to take this opportunity to extend my sincere apologies for the disappointments caused to you.

We look forward to many more years of serving you in the true spirit of hospitality for which Hilton Hotels are known.

Damien G. McArdle
Hotel Manager
Midwest
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Lots of positives about this hotel...BUT tourists beware, the location of the Hilton is not ideal for such attractions as Navy Pier, Magnificent Mile, etc. I disagree with other reviews which praise its location. For tourists, expect to spend a lot of time and money on taxis--both for attractions and restaurants. Chicago traffic is unbelievable-a taxi ride from the John Hancock to the Hilton was 30 minutes and $20-even at 7:30 at night! I recommend tourists seek another property about a mile or so north. This especially so if you are like my family and shy away from public transport while on vacation. Now for the hotel itself...

Positives-a beautiful older hotel that is huge and generally well-maintained. Staff was all friendly and helpful. We upgraded to a small suite-a decent bargain at around ~$200. The pool, exercise area, track and locker rooms were really nice. Also, tons of elevators and never a wait.

Negatives-the room was nicely furnished with one glaring exception. Beneath the sink is a cheap $20 cabinet with peeling paint. It looks so out of place in this otherwise nicely decorated room that it is laughable. Management - check out what I mean in rm 1563--really very silly for this hotel to have such a shabby piece of cabinetry. Also, we noticed the first day that not all the hallway lights outside our room were lit which resulted in a very dingy, almost creepy feel. This would not be so big a deal but the hallways seem to go on forever so they need to keep all the lights on all the time or the hotel reminds you of the one from "The Shining." However this partially lit hallway was only observed once during our stay-thankfully. Finally, I'm not overly impressed by the room's desk computer which is supposed to be an information center-I found navigating it difficult and the info limited in its utility.

Did not try the restaurants but the restaurant dinner menu looked very limited.

In summary, I would highly recommend this hotel for the business traveler but not for the tourist due to its location.

Room Tip: Use Hilton " e-upgrade" and book a suite if possible.
Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bjandljtravels
Bartlett, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 5 August 2012

My son and I have stayed here three consecutive years for the Chicago Blackhawks convention. The hhonors check in line was short for us, but the regular line was very long. Desk staff was cheerful and the valet and bell staff were on their game. Parking is more money than I've paid to stay in hotels before, but this is Michigan ave, so I was ready.

We stayed in one of the remodeled rooms on the ninth floor. Two baths were nice, but vanities were tiny. Ac worked better in these rooms than we've seen in the past in the older rooms. Internet access was included in our upgraded room fee which was nice as the service was average at best. The lobby restaurant was very good and my six year old was never charged for his buffet meal, which goes a long way in my book. Irish bar and grill was good too, but with limited seating.

The parking garage does not exit onto Michigan ave, but rather a less crowded side street which made accessing 290 very easy when we left. Great staff outshines the few negatives. The primary concern I had was that cell phone access was some of the worst I have seen. We will be back for next years conference.

The pool was also large and very comfortable. There is a rooftop deck also which gives a nice view of the sky scrapers and Harold's chicken shack.

Room Tip: The upgrade to a renovated floor, ie the ninth floor is worth the price.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Nashville
Reviewed 3 August 2012

I'm glad my expectation weren't high because I would have been disappointed. I had to wait about 30 minutes, mid-day, just to check-in. I got a room on the renovated floor and thank goodness as i would hate to see what the unrenovated rooms looked like. Typically, when you open the door, you pass the bathroom and closet. Not here. You open the door right onto the bed! I was very concerned I would be woken up all night so I asked for earplugs which they promptly provided. The beds were very comfortable with fluffy duvets. The bathroom vanity was so small, i had to put my toiletries bag on the floor. There was still a bathtub. Curious as to why they didn't rip out and put a shower in instead? Oh well. Large TV in the room.

They had an Irish Pub which I ate at 3 times and each time was very good. The service, however, was dismal at best. The coffee shop had such long lines I only had the patience to wait one morning. Go to Starbucks next door for coffee fix instead.

If you're going to Chicago to shop, you may want to pick a location closer to that action. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank TNConstanttraveler
Salt Lake City
Reviewed 2 August 2012

We were here the last week of July for a convention. It was a largely attended convention of about 6000. I was apprehensive that the hotel would not be able to accommodate such a large group, but I was pleasantly surprised. This is a HUGE hotel with several floors of convention space.

I stayed in one of the remodeled rooms. I thought it was fine. In fact, it was far superior to the New York Hilton. The hotel was clean and fairly easy to navigate. The service was fine. The food was fairly mediocre but I guess you cannot have everything.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business