“Nickel and dime, nickel and dime”
Review of Hilton Chicago

Hilton Chicago
Ranked #104 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 November 2012

This was a convention hotel for me, and I am a HHonors member. I did get the business upgrade and thanks to this site, I asked for a room in the renovated area. I got the 11th floor. Total price including city and state tax, around 300/night. For this, I got... a room. Fit and finish were very good, the bed was nice and firm, the cover was clean and all the other things you expect were there. There was an odd internet set up with a flatscreen (extra charge, of course). As noted in the other reviews, simply everything else had a charge, from parking to internet to the fitness center/pool. I am sure administration would say they are saving money for the patrons that do not use these features. My view was an anonymous wall of the hotel across the street; I guess they haven't figured out how to monetize this.

ATT wireless, like you get with your smartphone thru ATT, works fine.

Not sure why, but I don't feel this violated in downtown New York City. If you you stay downtown in a major city, you will pay. And pay. This Hilton takes it to the maximum. Stay here because of the location, and plan ahead so you don't get sticker shock. Next time, I will stay a block or two away. Still very expensive, but a better value. The interior architecture was grand, particularly the renovated area on the first floor.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the renovated section.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (5,346)

Reviewed 4 November 2012 via mobile

This hotel is a short cab ride from the Magnificient Mile, the Cloud, Planatarium and many more attractions.
There is an excellent gym, pool and jacuzzi which opens at 5am till late in the evening. There is a good restraunt in the lobby, couple of gift shops, shoe shine and an Irish bar.
It is well serviced with a Starbucks which provides a range of food from kids cereal to quiche and pizza. I stayed here with my 5 year old and although there was a convention on the hotel never felt too busy and service was not affected in any way. In fact everyone went out of their way to engage with my daughter.
I feel i must mention the concierge who went out of her way to help me out.
The lobby in the hotel is exceptional with a sweeping staircase on either side and a grand piano on one level.
Although the guests were mainly business people we didn't feel out of place and would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 4 November 2012 via mobile

Alecia was fantastic at the front desk. The room was clean. The bed was comfortable. Would I do the hotel over again? Can't say I would, considering the cost, the noise.... Overall, it was just another downtown hotel. Cheers.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank tntequiv
Reviewed 3 November 2012

The hotel is really beautiful! From the time we checked in, the staff was so courteous and helpful. We stayed in the the renovated section of the hotel. The room was spacious, comfortable and well decorated. We had a room with two double beds which had two bathrooms which is great if you have kids. The hotel is gigantic and it was interesting to read some facts about the hotel while traveling up and down on the elevator. The hotel is on the higher end of the price range, but it is well worth the expense. If you're going for the shopping, it's a bit of a walk to the magnificent mile shopping area. We don't mind walking but it was quite cold so we opted for a week long transporation pass which was reasonable and worked out great for us.. The subway station is two blocks from the hotel on State St. and you can get off right near the shopping area or anywhere else you might want to visit. We didn't eat at the resort but there was fresh fruit and snacks available in the hotel lobby as well as a restaurant.. All in all, a great stay!!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 November 2012

We stayed at the Hilton Chicago while visiting our daughter for Parents' Weekend based on location only. It was located a block from her residential college housing. The hotel looked nice based on browsing the website. When we arrived, we didn't realize how HUGE it was. There were lots and lots of people milling around and it was very busy-we had to search for the front desk to check in. We felt very much on our own-no personal service whatsoever. No one even asked if we needed help with our bags. We decided to add another room since our other daughter decided to join us. We were given a another executive king room, and upon entering our room, were very disappointed. It was very strange-the room was huge, with a living/sitting area on one end and the bed on the other. The strange thing was that the bed came out of the wall with only 1 mattress and was very close to the ground. The bathroom was tiny-1 sink and a shower only. Definitely not room for 2 people to be in at the same time. We did have a nice view of the Lake though. This hotel just wasn't the place for us. Way too big and impersonal. There was a decent breakfast buffet that was included in our room rate. I don't think we'll be staying here again.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a regular bed-not one that pulls out of the wall. Ask for a room with a view of t...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jennifer L
Reviewed 2 November 2012

This is a first class hotel. The location is ideal for all sights, including the Art Institute, Field Museum, the Aquarium and Soldier Field. Everything is walkable. The view of Lake Michigan is outstanding. Guest rooms are spacious and immaculate, loved the convenience of a 2nd bathroom my son had all to himself. Guest services are top notch, every staff member was courteous and engaging. Our Chicago hotel of choice, we'll return every time we are in the Windy City. Extra perk, seeing Secret Service everywhere the night Michelle Obama was meeting with the Chief of Israeli Defense. We felt safe and secure!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 November 2012

Ok first thing to remember , this is a big city and this is a big hotel ( 3000 rooms) . They cater to business conventions ( why i am here) so don't expect this to be a quite romantic getaway even at the weekend . I stayed for 5 days over haloween and downstairs was like a zoo which means check in takes 30mins , getting a coffee at Starbucks takes 30 mins etc.
I was on the executive floor but my room was not "updated " as some of my colleagues , which mainly means the bathroom was clean but well worn ( all the taps and pipes had flaky gold paint on them). Staff were nice , but busy as heck which lead to small things like not having the coffee / tea replaced in the room or stirrers - little things but just annoying.
Its a great place for location of McCormick place , you cant get closer and not bad for visiting the city though if i come back with my wife I would probably stay downtown in a smaller boutique hotel less crazy

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room , not facing the CTA trains
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business