“pros and cons”

Hilton Chicago
Ranked #104 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 23 February 2014

As a conference location this is a beautiful old hotel and has lovely conference facilities. I traveled with my baby and spouse to this conference and had some issues with the experience - no crib was delievered to the room despite 4 requests (pre and during stay), the room had a table partially blocking the very small bathroom (also not baby friendly) and the room service menu was extremely limited and not very good. The food downstairs is good at the restaurants but if you are looking for the downtown Chicago experience or convenience this hotel is a bit of a trek to get to-and-from in the winter months. Staff was super fast at getting us extra towels, pillows, soap, although we had upgraded out room to get a refridgerator for baby food and this was not working until the last day we were there. The most wonderful person we encountered was Robert in customer service, he helped resolve all the troubles quickly and empathetically. Thank you Robert! Without him I would not have as positive experience at this location. If rated between 1-5 stars, I would give this location a 3.5 for the reasons above.

Room Tip: ask for a lake-view room and a higher floor. there are certain rooms that have been upgraded, althou...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Michael H, Manager at Hilton Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I was delighted to hear you found us to have lovely conference facilities. It was also a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation with the quality of service you received from Robert.
Please accept my sincerest apology for the disappointments you experienced especially, as it relates to a crib not being delivered despite your numerous requests. Please be assured, this is not typical standards of the Hilton Chicago. With this being said, I have addressed this with the department head to ensure such incidents are not repeated. We appreciate your feedback, as it is feedback such as yours that enables us to focus on opportunities for and necessary re-training and improvements.
We look forward to many more years of serving you in the true spirit of hospitality for which Hilton Hotels are known.

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (5,342)

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Overall I enjoyed my stay at the Hilton Chicago. The hotel has a great history, being once the largest hotel in the world, a US Army barracks during the war etc.

Where I was let down was the conditions of the actual rooms. After checking in as a Hilton HH Gold member I was upgraded to an Executive room on level 24 although this turned out to be old, small and viewless with a basic shower over bath & curtain type setup. Even with lower expectations of US hotels room vs Asia this was unimpressive, especially after a supposed upgrade.

So I spent as little time in my room as possible, mainly attending our company conference in the grand, historic and well run event facilities.

The gym was excellent, with the latest LifeFitness equipment, free weights an aths track, pool, spa and sauna.

For the price it's hard to argue with what was provided but with1544 rooms on-site I was surprised with how my loyalty was rewarded.

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and for being a loyal guest of the Hilton brands. It was a pleasure to hear you enjoyed your stay and found our gym excellent!
Please accept my sincere apology for your disappointment in us not meeting your expectations as it relates to your room accommodations. Please be assured, our goal is to always provide the best possible experience to all of our valued guests.
Please allow me to inform you we recently renovated some of our guestrooms and have more renovations planned for the future and hope you will visit us again and come enjoy one of our newly renovated rooms.
We truly hope you will allow us future opportunity of serving you in the true spirit of hospitality for which Hilton Hotels are known.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

I've been coming to the Hilton for the last 24 years -the Midwinter dental convention - my stay has always been pleasant. Especially like the dual bathrooms when I share a room with a colleague. I never fill out forms or do reviews but I felt compelled to say what a real gem I found in Darnella Harper. I was graciously extended hospitality on the executive floor. When I entered the lounge Darnella told me I looked very nice and asked my name it was such a sweet and lovely touch I just had to hug her. I had noticed her at breakfast and saw how attentive she was to everyone's needs. The security guard who let me in when I locked my keys in and the maintenance person who had to exchange my coffee maker couldn't have been nicer.

Room Tip: Request dual bathrooms when traveling with a companion.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation with the quality of service you received from our staff and especially, Darnella. We have a long and hard earned reputation for guest satisfaction and it is always good to hear that our hotel is meeting the expectations of our guests.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

1. Excellent service from the front desk, to security (safe deposit boxes), to waitstaff in restaurant.
2. Fantastic location next to park and near museums. Short cab ride to Magnificent mile, Sears tower (it will always be the Sears tower), Little Italy, etc.
3. Granted it is a classic Chicagoan hotel (unbelievable external architecture) but room was cramped (had to squeeze between bed and dresser) and bathroom a little outdated,
One other item: self parking was inconvenient, did not give one a comfortable sense of security, and would have been outrageously expensive at $52 if we did not have it in a package.
No safes in the room, but they have secure safe deposit boxes by the front desk.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation of our location and with the quality of service you received from our staff. We have a long and hard earned reputation for guest satisfaction and it is always good to hear that our hotel is meeting the expectations of our guests.

Please accept my sincere apology for your disappointment with your room accommodations and parking charges. Please be assured, we work hard to maintain one of the most competitive pricing for the downtown area. Also, please allow me to take his opportunity to inform you that we recently underwent a renovations project that included some of our guestrooms accommodation with future renovations planned for the near future. These new exciting changes are bringing new amenities such as an in-room safe and a refrigerator so we hope you will visit us again and come enjoy these new changes happening to the Hilton Chicago!

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Staid there for a company conference over 3 days and was very impressed with the overall hotel design. The grand ball room was beautiful, the detail and design wonderful. It was however a little dated in the general areas.

The food was OK, bearing in mind that we mostly had breakfast and lunches organised for around 1700 people. Perhaps this was down to different habits and preferences to the ones in UK.

The room I stayed it had two double beds and two bathrooms which was odd for only one person staying there :) But it was clean and it had a little tea and coffee making machine which came in very handy first thing in the morning waking up and just before going to bed with a nice cup of camomile tea.

The staff was very helpful considering the size of the event and from a participant perspective, they managed well.

I am not sure however if I would stay there during a non business trip. Perhaps just "not my cup of tea" :)

Room Tip: Make sure your room is not next to the housekeeping one as they do make a bit of noise in the mornin...

Dear Valued Guest,

It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation of our grand ballroom and with the quality of service you received from our staff. We have a long and hard earned reputation for guest satisfaction and it is always good to hear that our hotel is meeting the expectations of our guests.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

this hotel has fabulous employees, they were helpful smiling and they made me feel at home. all employees I met were happy and willing to help anyone at the conference and the hotel was full for this conference, so they were all working hard.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation with the quality of service you received from our staff. We have a long and hard earned reputation for guest satisfaction and it is always good to hear that our hotel is meeting the expectations of our guests.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

I've been three times into this Hilton and my stay was always above the expectation. It's situated in a very strategic area: by walk you can reach Grant park and the Sears tower. Last time I was there the concierge found and bought for us Bulls vs Cavaliers tickets, we had just to tell him our budget and we were really close to the players! Quality of the sleep is very good, rooms are big and comfortable. Continental breakfast can satisfy every taste. I'll be back for sure.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Valued Guest,

I was delighted to hear you had very good sleep and found our accommodations big and comfortable!