“Extremely disappointed” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Extremely disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

I didn't have an overly negative experience but I didn't have a positive one either. The staff was fine. The main areas of the room were fine. The location was great. But there were a lot of issues in the room.

I requested a room with some light, facing the street, city, I don't care. But I was told there was nothing available. We were in a room facing the other tower in the hotel which made it dark 24/7. It was higher up which was nice but it was also a maze to get to our room. It felt like a coffin and I never knew what time of day it was.

When we first got there, there were 2 towels still hanging on the back of the bathroom door. Also, there were no amenities aside from shampoo, conditioner, hand soap and lotion. Why give us hand soap if there's nowhere to put it? It sat awkwardly on the side of the sink in a spot it couldn't possibly fit in and kept on sliding down and off onto the counter.

I also didn't see a hair dryer anywhere and didn't want to call during the busy morning time to request one so I air dryed it. I found it on the last day in the tiny bathroom to the right of the bed that was NOT the main bathroom hanging on the back of the door. My fault for not calling and asking and possibly being guided to check the back of the door??? But why would you put it in the extra bathroom to begin with? Or why wasn't it put BACK in the main bathroom?

As someone else mentioned, there was nothing extra. No fridge. No paper or pen. No helpful guide as to where the gym was. The TV had only a handful of channels on a tiny TV. The only channel we wanted to watch, NatGeo, had NO SOUND.

And, while I was expecting the paid wifi (will accomodate up to 3 devices for 24 hours from when you purchased), I was NOT expecting to pay for the fitness center?!?! Why!!

The double bed size was definitely on the small side. I've shared double beds before but these beds were very difficult to share. They were also on the soft side. One of the sheets had a huge tear in them.

We came to visit the Field Museum so I stayed here. The next time we visit for the Field Museum, we will stay in a better hotel in a different area and either take a cab or bus or train or drive, I don't care what. Whatever savings I could have had at this hotel was eaten up by the wifi & fitness center!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does NOT face the other towers unless you don't want to see sunlight.
Green Features: I liked their paper bag that was given to us to put our recycling in it.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Emily J
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay. Please accept my sincere apology for the disappointments you experience with you room accommodations. Please allow me to inform you, we recently completed a renovations project on some of our guestrooms with more rooms planned for the very near future. These renovations brought new amenities such as in-room safes and refrigerators so we truly hope you will visit us again and come enjoy a newly remodeled room.
Please be assured, we work hard to maintain one of the most competitive pricing for a large downtown area hotel on our products and services such as internet and our athletic club. Also, complementary Wi-Fi can be located in our restaurants and lobby.
Thank you for noticing our Green features, we are very proud and dedicated to our continual efforts to the Green environment.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,128)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for a company event. This is a very large hotel. We had a room on the executive level, which had a nice lake view. The hotel is in such a great location, across from Grant Park, and within walking distance to many sights. There is a nice bar in the lobby. Although it was not a memorable stay, I would recommend it for the location.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Kaypwin
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation of our hotel and great location. I was pleased to hear you enjoyed our 720 Lounge and your executive level room accommodations with the nice lake view. It’s always good to hear we are meeting the expectations our guests come to expect and deserve.
Thank you for recommending the Hilton Chicago. We look forward to many more years of serving you in the true spirit of hospitality for which Hilton Hotels are known.

Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

The travel books had been a bit disdainful of this hotel, but I found it to be just about perfect. To my eye, this is what you get when a hotelier does a really fitting job of renovating while maintaining the special spaces.

My room was well appointed with modern everything. Nothing felt unattended. I paid extra for a view of the Lake, and while indulgent and perhaps unnecessary, I did like waking up with the sun glinting along the horizon over Lake Michigan. I also paid extra to have a late check-out. Again indulgent and almost unnecessary, but I did really like being able to to skip the bell-line for luggage storage. I also paid the upgrade for the fitness center and this was an extraordinarily good call. All I would do again!

The fitness center really looks in person like it looks on the website. I wish the hours had been a bit longer in the evening, but a morning swim watching the sun rise over the "Sears" Tower was super peaceful! The pool was really nice for proper lap swimming -- a bit short at 20 yards, but ample enough to get the job done.

I didn't eat in much. Close to eateries on Michigan Ave, there was not much point, "Starbucks" in the hotel is not good. Starbucks a block away is better but crowded, and closer to the Art Institute is even faster even with the walk. In the Hilton market cafe, they do serve a killer locally-made sorbet. I don't care how expensive it was, it was good!

The hotel is an easy walking distance to both the Field Museum and the Art Institute. That also puts Symphony Hall, the public art and architecture around the Loop, and Millenium Park very close and easy-peasy on foot. The area feels very safe (I hope it actually is) and clean, and only slightly habited by beggars. The subway and El are right there as well, but foot is such an obvious and good option, there is not point doing otherwise unless simply not an option.

Staff was all very helpful. Elevators are quick ... just be sure to pick the correct bank to reach your floor.

I have saved my favourite for last, and I wonder if everyone gets to see these spaces. The grand staircase is very beautiful -- and you will see it. I kept making up good reasons to use the stair case. It felt like such a throw-back to a bygone era. I can only believe that recent renovations have been extraordinarily thoughtful and careful. From carpet to paint, it feels like an absurdly vast sum must have been spent, but the final result is so beautiful! Beyond the grand stair case the common rooms -- the ballrooms and conference rooms and mezzanine -- all feel much more old-school European than I might have ever guessed. Flowing with gilt and glass, murals and mirrors, swags and carpets, it was hard to place myself in the US Midwest ... I might easily have been in Vienna. I can't imagine how much simpler it would have been for this hotel to have done a slap job of the decoration, painting over a lost glory and stripping out its history ... but NO! They seem to have kept it all, and to be honest, I found it magical and uplifting.

My applause goes out to the good folks at Hilton for not giving in to the mundane and reinvesting in a clear time capsule of a time gone by for us to enjoy today.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation of our historical hotel, location and with the quality of service you received from our staff. I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your upgraded room accommodations, great view, athletic club and especially, our grand staircase. It’s always good to hear we are meeting the expectations our guests come to expect and deserve.

Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

My husband had to make a quick business trip to Chicago and I decided to tag along! Glad I did! The Hilton Chicago was lovely! We stayed in a Lakefront room on the 17th floor. We had a beautiful view and from our two windows. Our room was a King and we had plenty of space. Our bed was comfortable and the room was very quiet! The staff greeted us and checked us in early. They called my cell at exactly 3:05 to let us know our room was ready. We didn't use the pool or workout area but I did venture there to take a look and everything looked great there. This hotel has quite the history and we enjoyed the little room on the lobby floor that had much memorabilia in it. Very interesting. The only drawback of this hotel would be that it is a bit far from the "magnificent mile" on Michigan Ave (but we walked it anyways and took a cab back) and the fact that our room did not have an in room safe (but that's not a big deal just a nice feature to have). The plus was taking a morning run along the lakeshore which was a stone's throw from the hotel entrance! All the staff that we encountered were friendly and courteous. Thanks Hilton - we will stay here again for sure!

Room Tip: Be sure to select a room with the lake view and on a high level! Our corner room was sunny but the...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
      Location
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation of our lovely hotel, location and with the quality of service you received from our friendly and courteous staff. I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your room accommodations with our comfortable bed and the Grand Tradition room that displays some of the hotels history. It’s always good to hear we are meeting the expectations our guests come to expect and deserve.
Please allow me to inform you, we recently completed a renovations project on some of our guestrooms with more rooms planned for the very near future. These renovations brought new amenities such as in-room safes and refrigerators so visit us again and come enjoy one of our newly remodeled rooms.

Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

I stayed her for a week while attending a conference. We had a remodeled room on the 11th floor. I was sharing the room with a co-worker and it was GREAT to have 2 bathrooms. Our room was a standard size room, BUT had 2 closets and 2 bathrooms. I love the classic design/architecture of the hotel, but with the modern rooms. Close to the Lakefront Trail so you can get in a run. I enjoyed the bar food at 720 Bar.

Room Tip: We room 1106. It was quite but the view is of the other tower.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
      Location
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation of the Hilton Chicago and convenient location. I was pleased to hear you enjoyed our 720 South Bar & Grill restaurant, 720 Lounge and your room accommodations with the two closets/bathrooms. It’s always good to hear we are meeting the expectations our guests come to expect and deserve.

Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

I stayed 3 nights here in July and for the price I paid, was not impressed. The room and hallways felt dark and tired. My room had 2 bathrooms, go figure. The amenities that I would expect from a Hilton were also lacking, such as no hotel room safe, no minibar/fridge , no mini pad of paper and pen. The hotel amenity book is replaced by a computer, that would NOT shut off until I finally unplugged it at 3 in the morning to avoid the constant glow.when I used the computer, a few of the keys didn't work so made it difficult. I also hate when hotels charge me $12.95 to use their wi-fi, what a profit maker that must be for them!! It makes me feel so "nickel and dimed" and not valued as a customer.
Also, the coffee pot is next to the tv on a very tall dresser which made plugging in the coffee pot difficult as I had to get the extension cord from behind the desk to plug in, not very friendly. Also, my towels and soaps were not replaced every night. If I put a used towel in the bathtub, I'd like it replaced. I guess this is when the 2 bathrooms came in handy!
It is in a nice location in the south loop and has Chicago history and did allow me an extra hour for late check out. Be aware the parking fee of $52 per nite if you drive. If I had a choice, I'd probably stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: The room I had faced the brick wall of other rooms across the way, no view. Ask for a lake view on h...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation of our Chicago history and nice location/
Please accept my sincere apology for the disappointments you experienced with your room accommodations, housekeeping, amenities, parking and internet. Our goal is to always provide the best possible service our guests come to expect and deserve.
Please allow me to inform you, we recently completed a renovations project on some of our guestrooms with more rooms planned for the very near future. These renovations brought new amenities such as in-room safes and refrigerators. We work hard to maintain one of the most competitive pricing for a large downtown area hotel on our products and services such as parking and internet. Also, complimentary Wi-Fi can be located in our lobby and restaurants.
I apologize your room did not contain a card displaying our Green practices of our bathroom towels/linens. These items are changed every 3 days unless a guest informs us different or if towels are found on the floor. I have spoken to the Director of Housekeeping to ensure any necessary re- training takes place to ensure these cards are placed in all guestrooms.

Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Hotel is located on South Michigan Ave., opposite Grant Park, and with a bit of walking towards North Michigan or Magnificent Mile.
At first I could not find a front desk ... a guest relations person tells me they are a grand hotel (and that's why it is hidden?). The hotel is huge and bustling, the lines at the front desk are long but Hilton Honors membership will get you a room faster.
I received a corner room with 3 windows on the 21st floor with partial views of Lake Michigan. The room was spacious and well furnished. There is a tea/coffee maker and that's it. No minibar or fridge. You can get ice from a machine in the hallway.
The hair dryer is hidden behind the bathroom door but once it is found it is a good one. There are no safe boxes and not a piece of stationary or not even a pen in the room. Wifi access is free in the lobby but charges are $12,95 per day in your room. Check out time is 11am and enforced, late check-out (2pm) will be charged ($50) and so will luggage storage ($2 per piece, even for a coat).

By European standards I would not call it "first class".

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank 1001-traumreisen
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay. Please accept my sincere apology for the any disappointments you experienced during your stay. Our goal is to always provide the best possible service our guests come to expect and deserve.
Please allow me to inform you, we recently completed a renovations project on some of our guestrooms with more rooms planned for the very near future. These renovations brought new amenities such as in-room safes and refrigerators. Also, we work hard to maintain one of the most competitive pricing for a large downtown area hotel on our products and services such as luggage storage and internet.