“Big Hilton Hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC
“Big Hilton Hotel”
Reviewed 31 August 2014

This hotel has a lot of history. When it was originally built it was the largest hotel in the world at 3,000 rooms. I think that this hotel has a lot of charm and it must be considered when writing a review. I don't normally stay at big "box" hotels, but I was on a business trip and this was the hotel of choice. I thought that the hotel did a great job working in the parameters that it was given. The entry to the hotel is amazing - the detail of the crown molding and the intricate gold touches are certainly something. I think the hotel did a great job renovating the hotel and bringing it up to modern standards while keeping the old (which it technically has to because of the history and the uproar it would cause by history buffs if they were to do away with it). The public areas of the hotel are great - the Snax location in the lobby has a wonderful selection and really easy to grab and go. All the public areas in the lobby are renovated and the lobby lounge is beautiful and empty for the majority of our trip - if you have to hold any type of businses or leisure meeting - go to the lounge and you will not be disturbed! I had free wifi and it worked perfectly (might have been because I was there for business, but I didn't hear much complaints about the wifi in the lobby and I spent some time hanging out there with other guests).

I actually foregoed my lake view room in lieu of HHonors points because I wanted to check in right away and meet up with a friend. However, I was glad that I did and the standard business class room was fine. The room itself was huge. I had a 13th floor room overlooking the train tracks. I could hear the train a little bit, but it was definitely background noise and didn't bother me. It wasn't loud enough to wake me up. I didn't spend enough time in the room to be really bothered by it. I had a fridge in my room (that I didn't use) and a spacious bed and bath room. I had two closets! My room was considered a business class room and it was completely renovated. I recommend the renovated room - esp if it's just $20 or so more than the standard room. It's worth it.

I ordered room service for breakfast one morning and it was terrific. The food arrived in 20 minutes even though I was expecting 40 min to an hour and the food was so fresh. I loved how the latte arrived in a to-go cup, which I took to the airport with me.

The location of the hotel is great if you're there to do the touristy stuff. It's not on Michigan Ave with all the shopping, but it's only a $10 cab ride away. I liked how quiet the neighborhood was. My friends who are into running loved the access to the park and the beachfront trails.

The only negative I had was the long lines for check-in and check-out. I checked-in during the triathlon though and maybe that had something to do with it. If you need to talk to the desk upon check out (there is a breeze through option in which case you don't need to go to the desk) give yourself ample time because it felt like they did not staff the desk as well as they should have.

Green Features: The hotel helps the community and gives back to organizations that teach kids how to grow local foods. That's better than "our hotel just stocks food from the local area." I was impressed - esp because the hotel is so huge and has the ability to do good.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Michael H, Manager at Hilton Chicago, responded to this review, 10 September 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your great comments regarding your recent stay. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation of our amazing hotel, great location, recent renovations and with the quality of service you received from our staff. I’m also pleased to hear you enjoyed your room service breakfast and your renovated business class room accommodations with the spacious bed and bathroom. We have a long and hard earned reputation for guest satisfaction and it is always good to hear that our hotel is meeting and exceeding the expectations of our guests.

Please accept my sincere apology for your wait time during check-in and check-out. As a convention hotel we have a greater risk of heavy business levels and we try diligently to ensure our processes go as smooth and quickly to ensure not to leave our guests with any negative impression.
Thank you for noticing some of our Green practices. We are very proud and dedicated to our continual efforts to the Green environment.
We thank you for choosing the Hilton Chicago for your accommodations and we look forward to many more years of serving you in the true spirit of hospitality for which Hilton Hotels are known.

Michael Hooper
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,141)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 31 August 2014

When I knew that our US subsidiary had booked a room for me at the HILTON on Michigan Avenue for the duration of the AACC Show, I really had great expectations. They were even higher when I accepted to pay $30 more to get a "business class" room with a view on Lake Michigan and internet connection.

As I arrived I found out that tapestry, carpets, wall paints and everything on my floor was old and not up to the standard of a modern hotel (see pics). The furniture in my room was kitschy and totally impractical. One window was permanently fogged because of poor double glazing quality. No mini-fridge to keep my bottle of water fresh despite the fact that we were in July. In the somehow old fashioned bathroom, the tap of the bathtub was beginning to loosen. I had to struggle to get the WI FI to work even if I had paid an extra for it (Internet is free in other hotels of the chain). Apart from all, the view on Lake Michigan was great.

I travel around the world and I think I have a pretty good idea of what I can expect when I pay $ 260 excl. taxes. I was fairly disappointed inasmuch as I made real good experience in other HILTON hotels in the US (see my reviews). This hotel is in a wonderful location but it needs re-thinking, re-design, re-engineering, re-novation, re-furbishing.

Room Tip: Take breakfast at the nearby Yolk
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation of our wonderful location.

Please accept my sincere apology for your disappointments with your room accommodations. Please be assured, your experience is not the normal high level of service we provide or are known for. Please allow me to inform you, we recently completed a renovations project on some of our guestrooms with more rooms planned for the very near future. These renovations brought new amenities such as in-room safes and refrigerators so we truly hope you will visit us again and come enjoy a newly remodeled room.

We look forward to many more years of serving you in the true spirit of hospitality for which Hilton Hotels are known.

Michigan
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Upon entering hotel through the front I felt like I entered the hotel in the movie" The Shining". Rest of lobby is a mix of old and new, not that bad and clean. We were on the 16th floor, a mix of 1920s and 70s.. Room doors are marked up and stained. Hallway carpet though did look new . Our room was small with two beds that were maybe at best double size, a huge closet, old tattered and gaudy furnishings. However there is a new tv and a touch screen computer monitor. The main problem with the room was everything is covered in dust. In a lighter note bathroom and bedding was clean. I guess being a Blue Hilton member is third class in this hotel and they have the proper room for you, in a upper floor at the end of the hall with a view of a brick wall out of your window. Also booking ahead does not help, 7 months in advance and we still got the worst room in the place.

Room Tip: Avoid special offers, you will be put in a terrible room.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Valued Guest,
Please accept my sincere apology for your disappointments with your room accommodations and its view. Please be assured, your experience is not the normal high level of service we provide or are known for and that our goal is to always provide the best possible service our guests come to expect and deserve regardless of their HHonors status.

Delaware, Ohio
Reviewed 29 August 2014

We were here visiting our daughter who just moved to Chicago. When we arrived we were warmer greeted by the valet. The great service continued as everyone we came in contact with was welcoming and friendly! The hotel itself was great! We were on the 24th floor and had a beautiful view! The room was updated and very clean and comfortable. It was very quiet too. As far as convenience, we could literally walk to most places....loved the location! We will definitely return.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation of our hotel, convenient location and with the quality of service you received from our outstanding staff. I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your room accommodations with the beautiful view and that we can look forward to serving you again. It’s always good to hear we are meeting the expectations our guests come to expect and deserve.

Reading, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 August 2014

2 night stay at this hotel for business was good! Hotel is old - but it has lots of history! Lobby looks good, but the rooms could be upgraded a bit. still very comfy - bed was really good! however, I asked for a nice view and i got the inside of one of the towers. Did not spend a lot of time in the room so never called back but was a bit dissapointed.
If you want to walk and visit around - i thought it's the best place to start. right across the street you can see Buckingham Fountain and the lake, and if you walk further down - all the interesting stuff comes up. They arranged airport suffle for us which was great! did not eat in the hotel but i saw they had an Irish restaurant/pub and a snack bar with Strabucks!

Room Tip: ask for a VIEW - but not loking out inside the towers!
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation of our historical hotel and convenient location. I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and your comfortable bed. It’s always good to hear we are meeting the expectations our guests come to expect and deserve.
Please accept my sincere apology we a room with a view was not available as I’m sure our staff would have ensured to fill your request for a lake view. Our goal is to always provide the best possible service our guests come to expect and deserve.

Reviewed 29 August 2014

My room had a great view and the staff was fantastic. I even loved the breakfast buffet. The location worked great for the show we were attending and out my my three stays in Chicago, I liked this place best.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation of our hotel, great location and with the quality of service you received from our staff. I was pleased to hear you enjoyed our breakfast buffet and that you loved our place! It’s always good to hear we are meeting the expectations our guests come to expect and deserve.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Way too big, way to busy, nothing special about it. You have to pay for gym and internet. Lobby looks great, everything else is old. Get the upgraded rooms on higher floors. Located near south loop, not in downtown. Cab ride needed to most shopping and downtown attractions

1 Thank Jose B
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation of our lobby.
Please accept my sincere apology for any disappointments you experienced with our decor and added charges. Our goal is to always provide the best possible service our guests come to expect and deserve.
Please be assured, we work hard to maintain one of the most competitive pricing for a large downtown area hotel on our products and services such as internet and our fitness center. Also, additional renovations will be taking place in the near future so we hope you will visit us again and come share our excitement to the new changes happening to the Hilton Chicago.