“Superb service, but the building is a bit old.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilton Chicago

Hilton Chicago
Ranked #98 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Miami Beach, Florida
“Superb service, but the building is a bit old.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2010

When I booked the Hilton through hotwire, I was skeptical because of it's so-so-reviews(plus I do not consider most Hiltons to be 4 star worthy). I called the hotel the day of my reservation to let them know I would need an earlier check in, and I wanted a larger than standard room with double beds for my friend, and did not mind paying for it when I arrived. The agent was very understanding on the phone and he assured me he would make the arrangements for me.

When I arrived at the front desk, true to the agent's word, there was a room ready for me at 1pm and the concierge told me he had definitely assigned me to a larger room and to call back if I needed something else. The room exceeded my expectations. There were 2 double beds like I had requested, but the best part was that it had two complete marble bathrooms i.e. with a sink, bath tub, and shower, toiletries, and extra towels. The agent also sent housekeeping up to set up a fresh pot of coffee, I guess because I had mentioned that I had a long flight in and a busy day ahead of me. I had not expected that and I was pleasantly surprised.

The decor definitely seemed a little outdated to me, but it did not bother me as much as it would have had it not been for the great service I experienced. On my way to check out, housekeeping saw me from a different hallway and actually wished me a safe journey!! That pretty much summed up how I felt about this Hilton location. They have wonderful employees and that makes it a 4 star hotel to me!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank yellows55

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,134)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2010

I was here for a square dance convention being held at the hotel. The hotel staff were courteous, no problems with checking in, and checking out. The ballrooms that the dances were held at were gorgeous, specially the Inernational Ballroom. The food for the convention banquet was very good. I had a chicken breast for my entree and wasn't expecting much from chicken, but I was surprised at how flavorful and juicy it was.

I stayed in a corner King bedroom. It was clean and neat, not too big, but adequately sized. It had a great view of Grant park, right across the hotel.

The hotel is walking distance to a lot of downtown attractions, as well easy access to public transportation. I walked to Grant Park, Millennium Park, Willis Tower, Magnificent Mile, Chicago Cultural Center, Museum Campus...all 5 to 20 minute walk from the hotel.

Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank pinakbetboy
Atlanta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2010

We were able to stay at this Hilton through bidding on Priceline. This is a great hotel if you are able to get a discount. I can't see myself paying full price for this hotel. The hotel is further south of Michigan Ave however, you can take the bus and it will take you right to the action further down Michigan. We had the king bed room that faced the Sears Tower on the Executive Level. The reviews are right about how small these rooms are. The hotel is extremely dated but clean. It was great for just a weekend. I did go to the pool area. It is filled with kids which made me not stay long. Lastly the concierge gave us passes to some great clubs. They gave us a pass that let us in Y Lounge and Sound Bar. We also got free admission and a drink to Enclave. You have to ask in order to receive. I can't say I would return to this hotel. I would rather be further north by all the action.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kryswithak
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2010

pros:
- convenience to Grant Park, lake front, museums, restaurants
- friendly and helpful front desk ... much more like a concierge
- beautiful, grand, historic building
- Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries

cons:
- climate control poor for sleeping ... perhaps due to motion sensor and vent location
- bedding tangles up ... perhaps due to multiple sheets used in place of duvet covers
- out-dated room ... broken switches, no in-room safe, no bathroom vent/fan
- housekeeping quality inconsistent

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank GoodHealthM
Arlington, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2010

This hotel focuses on convention/leisure activities rather than business -- any hotel that still charges for internet access clearly doesn't cater to business travelers! So, keep that in mind in selecting this hotel. The beautiful lobby, excellent convention halls, top-notch gym/pool facility and overall old-world charm certainly play to convention/leisure travel. The beds (my room had two doubles) were absolutely comfortable with great pillows. A/C worked perfectly. Room was very quiet. Plenty of elevators so little waiting. Very friendly staff and great cleaning service. Decent selection of TV channels and plenty of paid TV options. // So, what's the problem? Well, my room suffered from shoddy maintenance issues: The bathtub dripped (and I don't mean just a little); the sink faucet was coming loose; the cable to the TV kept the curtains from closing properly; the TV remote was missing upon arrival; the clock was set too fast (and can't be reset by you -- I had to call an engineer). The gym's Precor/Icarian equipment is some of the best, but you'll find minor maintenance issues such as broken pins. I heard other stories of similar minor maintenance issues going unfixed in other rooms. This seems to bear out my experience with other Hilton properties. This is a shame because this Hotel has so much going for it, including a convenient location with very good access to Chicago's subway system (the El), many near-by tourist destinations and good convention and local food choices.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank ARLVAGUY
seattle
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2010

I am including parts of my letter to the Hilton which they refused to acknowledge or respond to:
Dear Hilton,
I am writing to express my stay at the Chicago Hilton during a business meeting from June 3 through June 7, 2010. I typically do not write letters to express my stay or concerns. This particular letter I am writing since I did not feel that the value of our stay met with the high expectations that should have been associated with the Hilton Hotels. .....
During our stay, we did request a non-smoking room. It was clear that the room was not as such..... It was acceptable, but not overly comfortable. What I did find dismay was that the accommodations and the service was sub-par. .....
The television was clearly outdated as a 500 pound CRT, leaving very little counter space for any belonging to be left out for convenience. I was somewhat surprised that updates had not happened as advertised with a flat screen television. Not only that, the television was broken. We had to call for service after putting up with a non-functioning remote for the first two nights when the remote finally just stopped working. The remote could not control the volume or the channels, despite the electrician coming on two separate nights and repairing the television, only to leave and have the television stop functioning again. It was just too disruptive to continue requesting his services.......
I would have expected that the maid service would offered better service unspoken. The usual complementary coffee and tea bar in the room was nice to have. But unfortunately, the maid never replaced any cups after we used up the 4 that were provided on the first day. We thought this may have been a slight oversight, but when it was not adjusted the third and fourth night, we just did not bother. Similarly, when we ran short of Kleenex tissue on the second day; we thought it would be replaced the next day. I had to guess again.
I am sorry to bring this to your attention, but I am sad to say that we did not find value in our stay or worth in the price. We are previous members of the Hilton Gold club, although we realized that we had let if lapse over the last 3-4 years. We have stayed many times at Embassy Suites and Doubletree, finding great value for the money and more than adequate accommodations. I am sad to say not with our most recent stay.
For your records, we stayed in Rm 1918 during the above mentioned dates.

Maybe the Hilton will respond or others will find the same and the managment will respond appropriately.

I do not think I will stay her again. There are just too many other hotels in the area that offer better service and accommodations ie the Intercontennetal down the ave.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank dedas1
Webster, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2010

Very impressed with the ambience of this hotel. The entrance off Michigan Ave was stunning. The chandeliers, grand ball room, winding staircase- all magnificent to see. Check in was quick and easy. We stayed on the executive floor - never had to wait more than 30 seconds for an elevator. All staff were quite pleasant and cordial. Especially the afternoon attendent in the executive lounge (didn't catch her name, but she is there every evening except Mondays and Tuesdays)!
Room size was adequate. We had enough space to leave the roll-a-way bed open the entire time. Can't stress enough how comfortable the beds were! Elegant drapes and bedspreads. We had 2 bathrooms - one had a window which opened about 4 inches - nice for ventilation. We could see Buckingham Fountain from our room. Nice flat screen TV. Very quiet stay - we never heard a sound from other rooms or from the hallway.
Since we were on the executive floor (we paid extra for this) we had use of the executive lounge. This was very convenient ! Had continental breakfast every morning - Bagels, mini muffins, cereal, fresh fruit, small pastries, juice and coffee. They also offered afternoon hourdourves - two items each day - proscuitto wrapped around aparagus spears, mini pizzas, crab rangoon, mushroom tarts, as well as bottled water and cans of pop. You could also buy beer there. The view out the windows of the lounge was of Lake Michigan - very nice. There were also cookies at nighttime.
The only complaint I had was that guests from other floors took advantage of the executive lounge. Like I said, I paid extra to stay on the executive floor and didn't appreciate having to wait in line behind a freeloader to toast my bagel, not be able to sit in the lounge because all the tables were taken, or not be able to use the 1 computer in the lounge because someone who did not pay for the convenience was there.

Traveled with 3 teenagers - hotel was within walking distance of Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum, Grant Park, Millenium Park,, Taste of Chicago. We walked down to the river and the magnificent mile - families with younger children may want to consider a taxi or subway. We actually did end up taking a taxi to the Field Museum because it was raining. The bellhop estimated it would cost $7.35 for our family of 5 to get there by taxi - That turned out to be the exact fare - cheaper than the subway, and we stayed dry.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again. Loved the hotel, the city and the people of Chicago!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family