“Great location!”

Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile
Ranked #109 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 19 September 2012

Decent  business hotel for a good rate. Wonderful location in the midst of the Magnificent Mile restaurant and shopping district. I think it's even on a walking distance to the lake. My room was nice enough, typical Marriott, comfy bed, a desk with all the necessary plugs, flat screen HDTV, a little sofa by the window, nothing too extravagant, but comfortable enough. I asked for the room on the highest possible floor and I got the 44th floor and the view was just absolutely gorgeous, overlooking the lake. In fact, I had some friends waiting for me in the car downstairs, but instead of rushing back down, I took a moment to snap a couple of shots of the lake when I first came in - beautiful!

The bathroom was disappointing. It seemed to be a in a desperate need of remodeling. There was nothing specifically wrong with it, but it seemed to have seen it's better days. In fact the whole hotel could use some refresh. They seem to have done some touch-ups in the rooms, but overall, it's time for renovation if they want to keep it at the level it should be (my comparison is the same level of Marriott in San Francisco and metropolitan cities like that. It does not even come close to Marriott in other countries, such as Singapore).

When I first walked into the lobby, the noise was overpowering. There is a bar/restaurant in the very middle of the lobby and crowds of people in and around the area. I ended up asking the clerk at the registration desk many times to repeat what he was saying as we could not raise our voices enough above the noise. I walked through the lobby a few more times during my short stay and the noise level stayed the same, even quite later at night. I don't know if this was a one time fluke with a specific group of guests, but it seemed to me that it was really the way the lobby was designed. The rooms however were quiet enough.

The staff was very nice. I had an issue with a smoke detector - it was making unusual noises as I went to bed and it was bad enough that I had to call the front desk. They sent an engineer up to my room and although he came in pretty quickly, by the time he figured out what it was and how to fix it, it was already close to 1am and I had an early morning meeting, so I didn't get as much sleep as I was hoping to get. When I mentioned this to the clerk during the check-out in the morning, she offered to pay for my breakfast and I declined due to not having time for it. When I proceeded to the Starbucks inside the lobby, she actually followed me there, found me in the line and offered to pay for whatever I was buying. I said, don't worry about it, but if you really want to do something for me, put some points on my account. I really didn't think much of it and pretty much forgot the whole incident, but sure enough, a few days later, I saw 2,000 points posted on my account from the hotel. I thought that was really nice. In fact, both the midnight engineer and the check-out clerk were so nice and apologetic that I was completely fine by the time I left the hotel (sometimes you just need someone to emphatise with you instead of brushing you off). The points bonus was just showing how serious they are about the service. The check-in person BTW was very nice and friendly as well. I would definitely go back to this hotel.

Reviewed 18 September 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed my trip at this hotel. the location is great. The Front Desk's customer service was excellent.The only negative is the size of the room,but, it is downtown Chicago.I would most definitely return to this hotel.

Reviewed 17 September 2012

Stayed here four nights at the end of August and beginning of Sept. for a wedding. I can't speak about price as we received a fabulous group rate for the wedding block (which was not held at this hotel.)

The rooms were very clean,roomy and the bed and bedding superb. The bathroom was a bit small but adequate.

The lobby bar was always filled with activity and noise which was fun. Big crowd of college football fans in town for a game overwhelmed the space, but they were all having a great time.

The hotel has a great fitness center but it was busy since the hotel seemed full. It also has an indoor pool which we did not use, but checked out. Reception was pleasant and helpful - needed our wedding clothes pressed and the service was speedy and not too pricey.

The best thing about this hotel was the location. We walked everywhere....to Milennium Park, The Chicago Art Institute, the dock where the Chicago Architecture Boat trip took off, and the other direction to all the stores. Right next door to the hotel is a four story shopping center with Nordstrom's and many other high end and moderate stores. One of the most fun stores I've ever been in was Charming Charlie's - an accessories store that has every accessory under the sun in every color for very low prices. I just found out that there is one in my home city of Rochester....who knew!!?

On reading some of the reviews I wonder if the building is still undergoing renovation. I thought our room was fresh and comfortable. We were on the 33rd floor overlooking the rear of the building and the lights at night were pretty.

Room Tip: The higher up the better the view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I've stayed at this hotel a few times, and travel on a weekly basis. Let me begin by stating that during the same session on Trip Advisor, I will also write a fantastic review on another Chicago property. There are just so many better options in the Loop! Do your research before booking here.

The Marriott customer service was great...at the valet, housekeeping and bell desk. The front desk, however, did nothing to assist in a very embarrassing situation. They oversold the hotel, which I understand happens. You would think that they would not kick out a frequent guest with status on the Marriott Rewards program, but they did and I got over it. What was frustrating is that they sent me all the way to the Gold Coast; when you are there for business, a mile down the road is a big deal when you specifically made reservations within a block of meetings. Not to mention I paid $395 for the hotel for a single night (high traffic season).

A couple of other issues were just in the details. The Marriott also charged me $35 for parking during the fiasco and would not reimburse. Their "offer" was $10 in taxi fare. That would barely get me to the new hotel, much yet pay for tip. When I arrived at the new hotel, the Marriott had made a double/full reservation in lieu of a king. Again, it is the little things. Luckily the new hotel took very good care of me and turned a bad situation into a good impression...at the Ritz.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Amanda H
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I have stayed at many different hotels downtown Chicago. I have to say the service at this hotel is the best. Staff is extremely helpful and friendly whatever you may need. The rooms were spacious and the beds were comfortable. The location is excellent and walking distance to all the shops and restaurants. The hotel lobby bar is always a busy energetic place. All common areas are well kept and clean. There is a starbucks on the main floor. I will be staying here again when I return to Chicago!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank greattimeskj
Reviewed 10 September 2012

The lobby and service at this hotel was great. Unfortunately, the room did not impress me. It touts that it's newly renovated but our room still felt outdated and rundown. The lampshades had rips in them, the bathroom was extremely small and the paint was patched and peeling on the back of the door. The bed was very hard and uncomfortable.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Erin P
Reviewed 9 September 2012

This may be one of my favorite Marriott properties. I stay here everytime I am in Chicago. The location is perfect for everything. It just has a great vibe when you walk through the door.

I had a king room and a high floor with a fantastic view. I loved the huge shower with the wall jets....awsome!!!

You will not be unhappy with your stay here.

1  Thank ilive2dive