“Poor Service...”

Ranked #109 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Poor Service...”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Went this past weekend, and asked the concierge if there were any museums/fun places my fiancé and I could go to stay out of the snow, saying I wanted to thaw out a bit from being in the snow all morning. He laughed at me and asked us "Where we were from" because the snow was not bad. I am from Indiana, I KNOW what snow is like, we were just hoping to get out of the snow for a little while and thaw out in a museum. He said, well all that is here is two art museums. Not much help there .... Found out there is an aquarium.. WISH I WOULD HAVE KNOWN. Being in the hotel management business myself this treatment was just unacceptable. **especially from a concierge.

The room was also really small, bed looked like someone jumped on it before we even got to the room. I was dissapointed with the lobby being so fantastic, then the room being small.

We also asked at the front where we could go to get snacks and chips, mind you this was around 2am, but I was hungry... Told there was a 7/11 just up the street.. walked for abt 15 mins... No 7/11? Ended up having to take a cab too and from the 7/11 because we couldn't find it.

Overall, the weekend was fun, but next time I go to Chicago I will be staying at a different Marriott. I know Marriott brand service, being apart of it for 5+ yrs... and this was not it.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 999Jenn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (657)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
North Muskegon, Michigan
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Room needed a thorough cleaning, quite dusty. Windows were hard to see out of, they also needed a good cleaning. View from room was decent.
Was not happy we HAD to use valet parking. They give you no other choice.
Proximity to Magnificent Mile was nice. Just down the block and across the river. Scary at night with all the homeless people around begging.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Manhattan, Kansas
Reviewed 15 January 2014

The worst thing about this hotel, as others have mentioned, is the noise: you're right on the Magnificent Mile, the bustling shopping and tourist street known as Michigan Ave., and sometimes it seems as though the city sends ambulances out for the sole purpose of parking outside your window with their sirens on. My only other complaint is that the room would have been much more convenient with a little refrigerator in it; there are actually several places nearby to get some groceries and drinks, and I would have liked to be able to store a couple things there to make meals easier. But beside these things, the rest of the hotel is very nice. There's a big cardio room, a sparse weight room, and a lovely lap pool (though the water is pretty shallow if you're long-legged and trying to swim some strong laps). The lobby has a very nice bar and meeting area with enough little nooks and crannies that you can actually have some time with just your best conference buds. The location is extremely convenient, just a couple of blocks off the red line (so you can take the metro to and from the airport for $3 each way) and surrounded by restaurants and shops to fit every taste and budget. The staff were so friendly and eager to help that I heard several other people at the conference comment on it. So bring your ear plugs and settle in for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: You really can't get to a place in this hotel where you avoid the noise. When you first get to...
Green Features: I was surprised that I couldn't recycle things here...even a water bottle I bought at the Starbuck's in-house had to go in the trash.
1 Thank JSSKansas
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I stayed at the Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile from January 8th through January 13th for the MLA Annual Convention. I felt that the lobby and the public areas of the hotel were quite beautiful and fun to be in. I also felt the staff -- particularly Leo at the Front Desk and all of the room service folks -- were top notch; they were always friendly, professional, and a pleasure to work with. At my request to be as high up in the tower as I could get, I was given a room on the 37th floor. Though showing some signs of needing a refresh, I felt that the room was spacious and comfortable and well-appointed -- and the view of the surrounding city and Lake Michigan was FANTASTIC. I would have liked a mini refrigerator and a microwave in the room, but that is a quibble. Far more problematic was the ambient sound. Even though I was all the way up on the 37th floor, the piercing sirens of emergency vehicles speeding on the streets below were incredibly intrusive. There were moments when I felt like the city of Chicago must be experiencing some kind of Armageddon like event given that it seemed as if those sirens were going off every couple of minutes and at all hours of the day and night. That alone made sleeping quite difficult because of being awakened by the sirens. I realize the Marriott itself can probably do little about this issue, but I am uncomfortable recommending this property because of this issue.

Room Tip: Don't take a room that faces Lake Michigan in the tower -- the sirens of the emergency vehicles...
Stockholm
Reviewed 11 January 2014

You find the lobby chaotic or with a good nerve, depends what you prefer. Maybe typical for a conferance hotel on "Magnificent" mile. I just didn't think the rooms were up to the name and being a downtown location. Our room were shabby, stained & with scratched furniture, bath rooms were small. . The bed was comfortable Just nothing to write home about.... that is if I wanted to write home from my room using today's technology.... which would have been a challenge. You have two options for internet... the 14.95 was for basic email, etc... the 18.95 was to be even better than that... so, I opted for the latter.... and I can only imagine how bad the connections would be for those paying the lesser amount, because mine, was not that good. That is super frustrating, especially when a hotel likes to cater to the business traveler as well.

Over all, it was ok, The staff was super nice and polite too.
Breakfast a typical American treat with non fat yoghurt, oversized food items, except butter that comes in Barbi size portions of some reason, mediocer bread choices. It,s a pitty to see all leftover on guests plates

McKinney, Texas
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We stayed for a 3 night weekend to sightsee and this was the perfect spot. We walked to the Navy Pier, Willis Tower, Millennium Park, Wendella boat tours, and restaurants and shops galore! The hotel was clean, comfortable, and perfect. We would definitely return for our next visit to Chicago.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ramseyboy1
College Station, Texas
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I stay here every December for scheduled meetings. The Christmas atmosphere is fantastic around this area of the city. I feel quite comfortable staying and enjoy the location, great service, friendly staff and the hotel as a whole. Perhaps a little too much familiarity breeds expectations. They did change out the toiletries this year. I kind of missed the orange aromatherapy products, but like the shampoos the rooms probably need a bit of updating. Other things, like paying the $14.95 per day for internet and unlimited phone and then discovering very large long distance phone bills when checking out are inexcusable. Either it is included, or it isn't. The guest shouldn't have to double check these things.

Downtown Chicago is expensive. Be prepared! The breakfast buffet in the Harvest Restaurant is also quite a lot of $ but it is excellent and the chefs prepare omelets and waffles to order with lots of goodies as toppings.

Room Tip: Go high, and stay away from elevators. I avoid adjoining rooms and weekends tend to attract some noi...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business