“Standard Marriott room in a great location”

Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile
Ranked #109 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Boston, Massachusetts
“Standard Marriott room in a great location”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The location here is fabulous. So convenient. The staff was always very professional. Asother shave complained about the lines, we were alerted that our checkout date was expected to have a large turnover and lines may be longer than usual. I thought that showed forethought and preplanning. Standard rooms. Mine did not appear dated/faded so maybe it is room dependent. Love that the concierge lounge is central. Sure beats the rush to get a good room on the concierge floor. Staff was great. Did not use the Lobby bar but it was always full/hopping. Have stayed many times and always have a great experience. They even have umbrellas near check in to use in the rain.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (657)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My friend had a business trip so I took advantage of a free room and decided to see Chicago for the first time. From our Marriott we were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go. Walking distance attractions: Uno Pizzeria for great authentic deep dish, Millenium Park/Grant Park - amazing park art sculptures, The Art Institute Of Chicago - spent hours here - make sure to see the miniatures in the lower level, Michigan Mile - tons of shopping, The River Boat Architectural Tour - super fun, The Double Decker, hop on/hop off bus - took us to Navy Pier, Wrigley Field- do the tour!, The free Zoo, The Purple Pig - swine, wine and cheese, John Hancock building - a cocktail on the 96th floor please; don't be afraid the view is spectacular.
Now, for the Marriott - great lobby - loved the lemon infused ice water right at the door - drank tons of that. Our room was nothing special but it had two beds, a t.v., and a bathroom - everything we needed. The business facilities were comfortable and spacious and well layed out. The Starbucks in the lobby was great in the mornings. But the absolute best part of this hotel were the staff. From beginning to end every staff member we encountered were friendly, smiling, and offering assistance. The concierge staff were terrific and helped us buy tickets for several attractions we were visiting. The staff at this hotel made what would be just a blah hotel into a fabulous hotel experience. kudos to them.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank SFJess13
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

This was my second time staying at this location. We had a few issues in our room which were addressed and resolved without fail. The bartenders are heavy handed and the bars stays open later than any hotel bar I've ever encountered. You're not just paying for the location but the service.

My only con was the small bathroom that I had to share with three other females. I will be returning on my next visit.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Elena B
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I was in Chicago for my friend's bachelorette party. We had a room block at the Marriott. Based on the reviews here I wasn't really excited to stay here, but this was what the organizers selected so I obliged.

For the most part, this hotel is decent. The staff is friendly and the main areas were very clean. Plus it's in a great location along Magnificent Mile and is within walking distance of most of the Chicago landmarks (Navy Pier, The Cloud, Art Institute, etc). So from that aspect you cannot go wrong. But the rooms themselves are pretty outdated. I had a king bed and sleeper sofa, and both looked pretty worn. I also didn't have a refrigerator, yet other people in my party did. Refrigerators should be standard in any hotel, especially a Marriott located in downtown Chicago. The ceiling also needs a bit more insulation. Everytime the person in the room above me walked around I could clearly hear them. Same with the doors (you could hear people as they passed).

Outdated or not, this place is extremely popular. The lobby bar was packed every day were were there, and there always seemed to be some event or another taking place.

Overall, I have to say that it's average. I don't think I'd stay here again if I had the choice because I know there are nicer properties in the vicinity. Then again, if the price is right I would give it another chance!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Nicolas Z, Front Office Manager at Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to forward your comments regarding your recent experience at the Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile. We are pleased you learn you had a positive experience with our hosts and an enjoyable stay overall. We would like to learn more about your recent stay to ensure any the items you discussed can be properly corrected. You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. We look forward to winning your confidence back and the opportunity to welcome you again by "Hosting You Brilliantly.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I am sorry to say that I just had a very negative experience with the billing department for this hotel. My friend paid our parking charge in cash upon our departure but did not tell me until after we left the hotel. in the meantime my credit card was charged the $92 for parking. The billing department told me without the cash receipt they are not able to help me. While my friend thought she was doing me a favor by surprising me by paying our parking charge in cash has now cost us each $92. It is too bad the Marriott's accounting department was not more willing to work with me on this. I am not sure sure I will stay at this hotel again after that. Seems like they would have a record of parking being paid by credit card and by cash. However, the person on the line was not really willing to provide extra service.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank melwolff1368
Thank you for taking the time to forward your comments regarding your recent experience at the Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile. We sincerely apologize for the billing errors you have experienced while staying at our hotel. We would like to take this opportunity to discuss this issue further. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit. We request you contact the hotel by dialing (312) 836-0100 and request to speak with a Manager on Duty regarding your experience. This will allow us to further research this issue and correct all reported billing errors. You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. We look forward to winning your confidence back and the opportunity to welcome you again by "Hosting You Brilliantly.
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed at the Downtown Marriott for a quick get a way weekend. It is a typical, large urban hotel in a very convenient location. We also noted that the hotel was very, very clean.

However, we were disappointed at the amount of time we spent waiting...for people and things. We arrived on Fri afternoon and did not expect our room to be available. We stored our luggage and headed out for the afternoon. We returned to find 8 people on line at the elite check-in with one person staffing the desk. The regular check in had 8 people on line as well but with 4 staff.
Once we checked in and got our key it took more than 45 minutes and 3 calls to retrieve our luggage. This resulted in us being a bit late for a long awaited dinner with friends. Later in the evening we returned to the hotel and took a seat in the lobby bar. After 15 minutes with no service we left and headed across the street to a different hotel for a night cap

On Sat morning we made the choice to start our day at the hotel restaurant. I think that most travelers consider hotel breakfast to be a convenience rather than an event. We arrived at the restaurant at 9:30 to find a 45 minute wait!!!!! It was a rainy Sat morning but if I anticipated that the hotel should have too. Once we were seated we waited a long time for our "buffet' omelet. It arrived long after we had finished our coffee, toast and potatoes. The eggs were simply wasted.

While our stay certainly was not terrible...I do feel that it was disappointing. The location cant be beat but if you decide to stay at the Marriott be sure to pack your patience!

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter but all rooms in the front of the hotel will be subject to the sounds of e...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to forward your comments regarding your recent experience at the Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile. We deeply apologize for the numerous lines you experienced while staying at our hotel. This is certainly not a common practice and will be corrected. We understand our guests expect a brilliant experience while staying at Marriott, our apologies for not meeting those expectations. You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. We look forward to winning your confidence back and the opportunity to welcome you again by "Hosting You Brilliantly.
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

It's a Marriott.....Nothing more nothing less....rooms are adequate and clean and common areas are nice. Others have xomplained that the rooms are worn but mine was ok. Try for a high floor ro get a view. It's set up and functions well for conferences. The staff is friendly which always helps.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business