“Gorgeous! ....but no in room free wi-fi!”

Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile
Ranked #109 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Louisville, Kentucky
“Gorgeous! ....but no in room free wi-fi!”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Once you get past parking...this is a gorgeous hotel! The lobby and bar area are modernly furnished and the staff was very friendly, helpful and professional! The rooms were luxurious (we were in 2721) and the western view of the city was AMAZING!

I was not happy at first to park across the street in the next block, but that turned out to not be so bad. They have a whole system to handle it and if you follow it you really only have to "check in" your car and then "check out" when you actually leave no matter how many days you stay.

The other downside was no free wi-fi in the room, but the staff informed me that was normal because they want a community atmosphere in the lobby bar...and boy do they get it! You can get free wi-fi in that area and on the second floor promenade area, so it's not impossible, just an inconvenience if you actually had to do any work. Turns out my party of 12 just enjoyed the bar area at the end of every day when we returned from our activities. We would stay there for hours just talking and recapping, so I think I get it now!

Great hotel...and its a bit above my price range, but YOLO!

Room Tip: Sometimes the staff - front desk and valet - will provide free in room wi-fi cards, be nice and you...
Green Features: Standard don't wash your towels if you don't have to kind of thing.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (647)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Round Rock, Texas
Reviewed 25 August 2014

As a Platinum Elite Marriott guest I frequent hundreds of Marriott properties. My experience here was among the best. The elite check-in counter is a nice touch and had me up to my room in no time. I was on the 46th floor commanding a great city view. But the view was not as clear as I would have liked as the window film was rippled from years of sun damage. This was just a minor annoyance. The bathroom was very clean as was the room. It would have been nice if housekeeping replaced the complimentary water bottle every day. Again, just a minor annoyance as I always had access to the Concierge lounge for this amenity. The lounge is a bit small for the numbers of people who drop in for breakfast but I always found seating. You are just bumping elbows to get your food. I really did like the Starbucks on demand coffee grinders though. Made a steeping hot cup of fresh ground Verona without the need to go downstairs into the Starbucks and order one. But remember, you will only gain access to the Concierge lounge if you are an award member. The staff is wonderful, very friendly, knows the city well and always helpful. If there is one downside to this hotel it is the location of the bar. Situated in the lobby, center of the hotel it does get very loud. This is due to the raised ceiling and very open space. Otherwise this place would have received a 5 star rating from me.

Room Tip: Upper floors or you will view the neighboring hotels. Request a room away form any elevator, they ar...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank RJMJR32
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I was staying in this hotel on the 46th floor (top) during the Water and Airs show and it had a perfect view of the planes! And the view from the top you had a nice view of the city. They do have paid breakfast that includes custom dishes and a buffet and the staff was very kind and fast.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank KirbCom
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I usually stay a this Marriott for business through my company. I choose not to provide my name because I am not looking for any especial attention. As a reward program member I would like to provide an honest review and so here it is:

I have not been disappointed with the staff. I do believe the hotel itself needs improvements to stay competitive with everyone else, especially when it comes to pricing and amenities (updated gym, pool/hot tub, etc) but overall they have a great staff members with good attitude.

If I had to compare this Marriott to a few other ones I regularly stay at (such as san Ramon Marriott), I would have to say they need to work a bit more on their relationship with their returning guests.

The location of this Marriott is great, especially if you are on a business trip. The restaurant food is good and the staff are nice, although there are many other restaurants around the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Law M
Springfield, Virginia
Reviewed 24 August 2014

One of my favorite Marriotts. Great location on Michigan Avenue, near shops, restaurants, and transit. Staff very friendly. Rooms nicely appointed. Gym is okay. Pool is nice but they took out the whirlpool/hot tub, sad! A concierge did make a bad recommendation about a place for casual drinks and then for a low key casual dinner. Instead of recommending a very informal, casual place for a drink, when I arrived there, it was a high priced, not informal champagne bar called Pops. Obviously did not go in. Then went to the informal suggestion for some fish fir dinner and again the place was a formal, upscale restaurant called Devon. Seriously, while both if these places look very nice, the suggestions were no where close to what was requested.

Room Tip: High floor
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tom R
Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We've never been disappointed by the Marriott line but even in this quality group, this hotel on Michigan Ave's magnificent mile is above average. From the Marriott associates special check-in desk where Tyrone greeted us by name, checked in under 3 minutes and gave us a gift bag with drinks, cookies and other treats to the cleaning lady (Francisca) on the 14th floor that went out of her way to make sure that everything in the room was perfect, it was an especially easy and happy last two days dropping our daughter off in college at LUC. Worth the extra valet parking expense (which Chicago is notorious for) just to have time to enjoy the north shore and the Michigan Ave. shopping by foot.

Room Tip: Upper floors give a great view and quieter as it is above the street noise.
Green Features: Hotel very conscious of environment and allows guests to be responsible and practical as well.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Bronx, New York
Reviewed 21 August 2014

After my four shows in Addison and Medinah, I went to Chicago to see the sites!
Had a great dinner at Piccolo Sogno Due and then went to Buddy Guy's Legends for a drink and some Blues!
The next day we went on the Chicago Architecture River Cruise and the Hop-On Bus Tour!
Very nice... Chicago is my kind of town!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family