“Perfect location in Chicago”

The Congress Plaza Hotel and Convention Center
Ranked #153 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 23 September 2012

I was recently in Chicago for business and needed a quick reservation. The Congress Plaza on Michigan Ave was available within 1 week of my trip. The room was small, but extremely clean and comfortable. I enjoyed the location as I had to walk to my conference on Monroe Street, about a mile away. As a woman traveling alone, I never felt worried about walking around that area at night. I brought my own air card, but I heard the clerk tell another guest that they were being charged for each device (ipad, iphone etc) that they accessed the internet on in their room. That doesn't seem right. The bed was even more comfortable than my own at home and the selection of pillows also was perfect. No fridge in my room, but that didn't matter to me. Great for someone traveling alone. Close to the Art Institute - too bad I didn't have time to visit!

1  Thank Donna G

Reviewed 23 September 2012

Ameneties were poor- no shower caps,
Room was extremely run down. The toilets were tiny!! The door was broken and didn't close. Lucky I was with my husband and didn't need privacy.
Not down town Chicago
Restaurant was awful- the soup was rank like tin soup
No free wifi throughout the hotel even though we paid 170$ a night!
Unfriendly staff who would want to be elsewhere.
Towels weren't replaced on one day.
Too many homeless and beggars around the area
Smelt like smoke even tho our level was non smoking
King bed was clean and fine to sleep in.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cynthia C
Reviewed 22 September 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here over St. Patrick's Day weekend. Originally built for the Chicago World's Fair, it has a fair bit of history behind it. It's location on Michigan Ave. makes it an ideal base for activities in Grant Park like the St. Patrick's Day parade, Taste of Chicago, the Blues Fest, etc. You do however get what you pay for, the rooms are clean but dated and the staff seemed as if they would rather be elsewhere. It's cheap but more than adequate for travelers with just basic needs. Two other things; Be sure to book a room with a lake view, and you'll just have to take my word for this, the joint is haunted.

3  Thank itchinjim
Reviewed 22 September 2012

The lobby is very deceiving.This is possibly the worst hotel we've ever stayed in. We were in the north tower....the room was disgusting! The carpet was filthy, the baseboards were full of peeling paint and dented wood.The furniture was chipped and scratched.The lighting was nonexistent. We had to leave the bathroom and closet lights on to work at the desk.There should have been a lamp there.Beds were extremely uncomfortable and pillows "lumpy".... Luckily, we were there only for 1 night. The problem is...management doesn't seem to care as there are no responses to any reviews on Trip Advisor.

Room Tip: Stay in a different hotel!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sunshinegirl05
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Hot water turned on fully only provided tepid water for shower. Mattresses and pillows are cheapest foam of less-than-discount quality and ended up fighting sore neck for 3 days. No heat available during an early cold snap, so they offered a space heater (first one didn't work; needed to bring a second). Ordered room service the first night (salad and soup....soup was nothing more than luke-warm from a can; utensils wrapped in paper napkins ala cafeteria) and got sick for following 2 days. Food poisoning....? I'm just saying... Only one ice machine servicing all floors was broken, and getting some ice from the restaurant was a ping-pong match between restaurant and front desk, taking 3 transfers and two trips from staff (first one brought ice, but staff had a look of disgust on her face when I opened the door; then received another knock from another employee who was delivering an empty ice bucket!) On last day, the tank on back of toilet cracked and flooded water all over bathroom floor (see photo). Hey, they gave me $25 for my consideration. Put this one on the bottom of your D list.

Room Tip: Don't ask for a room with the internal "garden" view...you'll be placed in a secon...
1  Thank C T
Reviewed 20 September 2012

As stated in many earlier reviews, do not expect good service, building is old, bathroom tiny, no water pressure, staff is as lethargic as I have ever seen. Almost zombie like. Had a "family suite" for $229 per night, it had 2 doubles in one room and connecting door to a king room, one tiny bathroom with view into dark ally. Doubt I would stay there again as it was just poorly run hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Raytherealtor
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Seriously, I cannot say enough about how bad the service is here. Rooms are fine, historical, blah, blah, blah...fitness center is dirty and no tv...can totally overlook the "aged" ambiance. But the service? HORRIBLE.
Check-in - goes okay, no friendly banter, no "enjoy your stay!", nada. Zip.

Hmmm...need a bottle of water...okay, go to vending machine 2 floors up (because while the in room guide says one on each floor, apparently they don't really mean that)...no water in vending machine. Trek downstairs to gift shop and spend $4 on a bottle of water. Ugh. Whatever, I'll expense it.

Internet - hook up my laptop to the ethernet cable (yes, that's right...no wi-fi in rooms). Can't connect. Check my settings, shows I am connected. Call front desk. "Yeah, I'll call the electrician - that's a common problem". Wait, what? An electrician for an internet connection? I jack around with my laptop for another 30 minutes or so, change a bunch of settings and finally get hooked up. Call front desk back - "oh okay". No apologies, nothing.

Sleep...bed's okay, nothing to write home about. Then it happens - 1 AM, my phone starts ringing. Not my blackberry, but my room phone. It's the front desk telling me that my truck is outside. WHAT??!!! A) I don't have a truck and B) What the hell are you talking about? After my incoherency on my part (it is 1 am mind you), the front desk person GIGGLES and says, oh I must have the wrong room number. Sorry! So, 1 am to 4:15 am...I am staring at the ceiling.

By 5 am I am on the crappy treadmill and I am thinking "I must have imagined that exchange" because it was so bizarre. I trudge up to my room, and my stupid key card won't work...

Front Desk - 6 am...sir, my key card won't work. "Do you have ID?" Um, yes IN MY ROOM. After he grills me on my identity he finally relents. I mention the late night (early morning) phone call and he is perplexed but kind of shrugs it off. Not the other front desk attendant! "Oh, that was me!" Well...you know I have been up since 1. "Well, it could have been worse ." Uh, what? No Apology - just giggles again and rolls her eyes.

Yeah, definitely won't be back.

Room Tip: Need a tip to choose a good room? Go somewhere else.