“Good Classical Chicago Hotel”

The Congress Plaza Hotel and Convention Center
Ranked #153 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed in the Congress Plaza Hotel for one night during my trip to Chicago for the Yankees-Cubs series. It was a good stay, the hotel was a little older and confusing but overall I'm happy I stayed here. The hotel was definitely an older hotel here in Chicago, it definitely feels as if it was designed before World War II but it maintains a nice charm in that manner. The hotel is located in what can be considered the South Loop near immediately adjacent to where Congress Parkway ends at Michigan Avenue and Buckingham Fountain. The rooms are arranged in a corridor style in two towers which is a little confusing, even numbered rooms are in one tower, odd numbered rooms are in another tower. The room presentation was good, they are well made rooms with high cielings, a small private bathroom, tall windows looking outside and . The front desk staff appeared a little overwhelmed during my check in and check out but nonetheless got me in and out at the exact rate I paid for the hotel which was $220 after taxes. That may sound a little expensive but its actually reasonable by downtown Chicago standards. There is a large hotel lobby downstairs with a restaurant and bar attached to this hotel as well. I believe it was used for a convention center type purpose at some point in it's existance given its ground floor layout. Overall, I'd recommend people stay at this hotel if in Chicago at least once. It's not my top hotel in the city but it is one I'd send people too if they were asking for my recommendation on it.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the East Side of the Hotel as that will overlook Grant Park, Michigan Avenue, L...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (2,871)

Reviewed 21 May 2014

I have to say that considering the price it was much better than expected. We arranged for early check in and late checkout. When we arrived around noon our room was ready. It was on the 14th (top) floor overlooking the fountain and the lake. Perfect! The hotel is old and they do a good job with keeping it up. It is not perfect. I would say the carpet is in need of replacing and some banged up baseboards but all in all it is well kept. The only negative part of the trip was after we checked out we had an extremely rude and pushy doorman. I guess that is what he is called. He was the person that was calling up the cab. Not that we needed someone since they are parked right at the entrance. He actually told us to hurry up. I was traveling with both of my parents who are in their 70's and I have an injured leg. When I told him to cool it he proceeded to tell me that he has to be that way because he runs 3000 people through the front door area each day. We were the only ones in the area at this time. I would say this is the last thing any business would want for the final thought of their guests experience at a business. All in all if value is a part of your decision making process in selecting a hotel in Chicago, I would recommend Congress Plaza.

Room Tip: Top Floor facing the lake
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank shanes730
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Had to stay at Congress Plaza as there were two conventions in town and almost no rooms available anywhere. The place is very old and it shows, my room smelled a bit, thank the Lord I was only staying one night. enuff said, won't stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I stayed in the hotel for a weekend in April. Very good location to explore Michigan Ave. Field Museum and Aquarium are within walking distance (about 20-30 min). Convenience stores, coffee shops, and a few bars are around the corner as well. The Hotel is old but clean and well maintained. The drain wasn't draining well and the room was rather cold with no temperature adjustment options (only AC). But other then that good experience, especially for the price you pay!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Hotel is way too old so value doesn't justify what they are charging but over all staff was very friendly and helpful. It seems most of the needed places like seven 11, Doughnuts, subway and all. So not bad place but if you get the same value and newer hotel then thats the best! ooo naan View from the room was amazing.. we were in south tower!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

When we arrived they said that our reservation had not been confirmed for the 2 rooms just the 1. We had called and they said both rooms were available. We spoke to one manager who tried to figure out what happened but then left without calling us and left it to another manager to handle. She got an attitude quickly when we were trying to understand our sleeping arrangements, even saying we were wearing her out after we had had enough and said we were getting no where and were worn out.They ended up giving us a suite with an a joining room and the rest of the family to sleep on cots. Our room was 100 degrees and had to go down and get them to come up and open a window. Then we had to deal with street noise, if there had been another hotel open we would have left. But graduations had them all booked. There was a chalky substance on the ground where some remodel had taken place and not cleaned. With the price of the rooms you would expect more, will not be back. The best part was the view and the bell guys.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Babygirl0509
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Nice on the historical, location, and service sides. Poor on value & general upkeep in the rooms/hallways. Our room was nice with a great view and I loved the safe in our closet, but there was a small used bandage on the sheet when I turned down the bed on our first night. Front desk people were great & we loved being close to the museum campus. Just a bit overpriced for some of the worn down features of the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family