“Perfect location, need more elevators”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown
Ranked #86 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Perfect location, need more elevators”
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here over July fourth weekend. I love the location, it's only 2 blocks from the redline and 1 block from Michigan ave.

Biggest complaint is the number of working elevators. The 3 working elevators are not enough. People were always waiting on the elevators. It got to be that the stairway was the best method of going between floors. But this was not an option when traveling with a stroller or checking out with luggage. The fourth elevator was filled with cleaning supplies so it did not look like it would be ready for operation any time soon.

We had 2 separate reservations which we asked to be close to each other. But I guess 2 floors apart was "close".

Bathroom and room in general could use some TLC. But overall a standard embassy suites quality.

Stayed July 2014
Ana C, Front Office Supervisor at Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are excited to announce that our fourth elevator is now up and running! We hope this will help reduce all wait times for our guest and help improve our guest experience.

In regards to your request, I sincerely apologized we weren't able to have the two rooms close together. I will definitely work with my front office team and help accommodate for all our guest needs.

Thank you for your business and we hope to host you and your family in the future.

Regards,
Ana Cisneros

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Let me start with that this was a family vacation trip and we were quite excited about visiting Chicago for the very first time. We had high hopes of being wow'ed by the facility / staff upon arrival. However, that didn't go exactly as hoped. Upon arrival, we were "assisted" by Anna and I wouldn't have known her name if it weren't for the name tag. She wasn't very friendly at all and didn't offer much of a welcoming feeling as my family was exhausted from a long day of traveling. She informed me that we'd have to wait about 3 hours "somewhere" as check in wasn't until 3pm. Unaware of this policy we arrived around 1pm but, through her expressions / dialogue we got the impression that Chicago wasn't welcoming place starting with the hotel staff. If it hadn't been for "Michael aka Magic Mike" (A bellhop) who overheard her words, intervened and gave us information as to what's nearby, how nice the facility was, etc; WE WOULD HAVE WALKED OUT.

Aside from the first front desk Representative upon our return for check-in, we had a different Front Desk Representative by the name of CRUZ was very welcoming and even assisted us with our bags. I big thanks to the Concierge (I can't remember his name) who played an instrumental part in providing directions to nearby attractions. I have stayed at Embassy Suites before but, I must say that this location has the most accommodative buffet I've experienced thus far! As for the room, well it was great but, part of it was just like the "Trip Advisor" commercial. LoL, I got stuck with a view of a Parking Garage / alley. Silly me.

Oh wait I nearly forgot about the parking!!!! RIP OFF $58 a day charge and the attendants all have snooty attitudes because they're less likely to get tipped. As much as I wanted to tip them but, I was too bitter about the charge. Be warned and don't rent or drive a car. Plan well and use public transportation as much as possible.

Room Tip: If you want a good view of the parking garage next door ask for the 10** section. :)
1 Thank Cburr1022
Ana C, Front Office Supervisor at Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Good afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I can't start to express the disappointment I had reading your review. I am very sorry I was not able to provide you with the quality service you deserve. This is not typical of me or my staff, and I apologize for not greeting you with a warm Chicago welcome.

I am glad however that Michael, our doorman, and Cruz, our front desk agent, were able to recover your stay. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider giving us another chance.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 9 July 2014

They have no customer service, place is horrible. I booked my hotel and they set me up to the wrong embassy suites. The two of them fail to communicate with each other. guy was rude and arrogant I had to do a BBB complaint to get things settled

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for providing a review for our property. I'm sorry that my front office team was not able to locate your reservation. However, since we aren't directly affiliated, or directly connected to the Embassy Suites Lakefront location, it is a bit of a challenge to communicate between the two properties. Please rest assured that your feedback will be used for training purpose as we continue to improve our guest satisfaction. I hope that you can accept our sincerest apologizes and will one day stay with us again.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Hotel is what you'd expect for an Embassy Suites. Room was fine other than a spider in my sink.
A lot of families in the hotel, which made it a bit noisy early AM when breakfast started. Also, pretty crowded for the breakfast hour, but staff handles really well. Not bad, but can likely do better for business in Chicago.
Great value however if traveling with the family.

Stayed July 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel! We are glad to see you and enjoyed our location and our amenities. We hope to see you on your future business trips to Chicago!

Safe travels!
Valparaiso, Indiana
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed July 5th so I realize it was crowded and the price was jacked up but with parking and tax this "micro suite" cost $300 , not worth the $, one complaint was the vending machines where not refilled and the ice maker was broken on our level, you can venture down to the lobby but this was inconvienent, also my biggest complaint was that some guests where inconsiderate - throwing old food , pizza boxes right in the hall, shame on them but housekeeping needs to pick up after these slobs as some areas in the hotel smelled like a dumpster. If you can book this hotel on a weeknight for a good price go for it but having stayed before in the $150 range - pre tax, and finding it worth the price I can't recommend it currently as this last visit was just too expensive and disappointing.

Room Tip: Book on a weekday , not enough staff for a good weekend experience.
1 Thank emperic24
Ana C, Front Office Supervisor at Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thanks for taking the time to review our property! Your review indicates that you had a number of areas in which we failed to meet your expectations for which I sincerely apologize. I have forwarded your comments to our security department who certain to take the corrective steps needed to improve their areas. We hope to gain a chance to redeem our self and offer you a memorable stay!

Grosse Pointe Woods, Mi., United States
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Hotel was mostly a good value and conveniently located to shopping, attractions, restaurants and public transportation. Free breakfast is nice but get there early or be prepared to stand in long lines. Parking is available but expensive. At night street noise can be very loud but probably not much the hotel can do about it, the noise goes with the location.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Good afternoon Roger,

Thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to review our property. We are glad you enjoyed Chicago and our property! Please know that we value your business and we hope to see you in the near future.

Safe travels!
St. Louis, United States
Reviewed 6 July 2014

This hotel has a great location, just a couple of blocks from Michigan Avenue. The staff was very friendly and helpful with all of our questions. The breakfast was great! The chef at the omelet station cooked orders at an amazing pace with a smile on his face each morning. Great experience!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Good afternoon Cindy,

Thank you for the kind words! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at our property. Michael, our omelette chef is one of our most valued employees! We are glad to see that he help start of your day with a smile. We hope to be your host again in the near future.