“Very Pleased!!”

Ranked #86 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Lexington, KY
“Very Pleased!!”
Reviewed 8 April 2009

We were in Chicago for a few days as a Spring Break getaway - after reading all of the positive reviews here we were excited to see the hotel. Everything was as described - clean, friendly staff, excellent service. I am notoriously picky about hotels (my poor husband dreads taking me out of town!!) but this hotel met my high expectations. When we return to Chicago, we will be staying here again! Thanks!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Jen_3269

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Korean first
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 7 April 2009

Whenever I'm in Chicago, I try to stay at this location. The staff is very friendly. The breakfast is always fresh and hot. The location is convenient to the best shopping and restaurants. Traveling alone as a female, I always feel safe walking in the area at night. The rooms are typical for Embassy Suites - 2 rooms, nice bedding and bathrooms with plenty of light. My favorite thing about staying here is the restaurant that is attached to the hotel - Osterio via Stratta. Awesome food, great service at the bar - Micki is a great bartender/server and always remembers me! The hotel has packages for the American Girl store also. Even when I can get into more upscale boutique hotels, this is a trusted can't go wrong option.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
ohio
Reviewed 28 March 2009

We stayed here with my sister and niece during the Gospel Music Channel's "Gospel Dream" auditions. I was actually trying out. We had a blast. The hotel was so beautiful. It was like walking through a garden, yet you were inside. From the fountains to the lit up trees to the walk ways and bridges you have built inside this hotel...its so beautiful! Our room was very nice! We were happy with the little living and dining room area and our beds were comfy! We loved our view of downtown Chicago! The breakfast was AMAZING for a hotel! Cooked up omelets or whatever you wanted! Overall, great place! Staff was friendly and everything about this place was just wonderful!

• Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 23 February 2009

If you are, like me, a huge OPRAH fan, this is the hotel for you!!! We had excellent service from the hotel even before checking in!!! I reviewed the hotel on this site and saw so many wonderful comments, so my girlfriend and I booked a room here. I contacted the Concierge in advance of arrival about possibly getting tickets to Oprah since I was unable to get them in advance of the trip. The Concierge actually returned my call saying there is no guarantee, but that they would surely try to get us tickets once we arrived. That blew me away - I've left messages for Concierges before in other hotels/cities and never received a call back!!!

My girlfriend and I arrived at the hotel by taxi and were greeted by Mike, the Bellman. We had lots of bags and were very tired so he was a site for sore eyes! And what a friendly guy! We checked in easily (if you prepay the room, you get a WONDERFUL price so look into that for a steal of a deal!) and received exactly as we requested - upper floor away from the elevator. The hotel has 11 floors and we were put on the 10th floor!

The hotel is ATRIUM styled with fountain in the lobby so sound does carry up. It has an open-air feeling to it. Lots of greenery makes it really beautiful! The elevators are fast and there are 4!!!! (I've been in hotels of the same size that had only 2 very slow elevators so this was a real bonus to me!)

The Embassy Rooms are so large and roomy compared to other hotels! The flat-screened TV in the living room totally impressed me. But there is also a large TV in the bedroom as well. The beds are VERY comfy! The room was immaculate and having a refrigerator and microwave in the room is nice and convenient.

I went to the Concierge desk and talked to Richard, who is so very professional and kind. I asked about Oprah tickets and he explained what their process is. He left a note for the morning Concierge to call the show and request tickets on our behalf. There are no promises but they do make a great effort which is should be acknowledged.

The FREE breakfast is amazing! Hot, made to order omelets, pancakes, hash browns, cold cereals, bagels/toast/muffins, fresh fruit, juice, coffee - it's all there. And the cold items are cold as they should be as well as the hot items are hot! The staff clears the tables quickly - leave a little tip on the table for them cause they are very helpful and efficient.

When we returned to the hotel in the afternoon, Philip, another Concierge, had left a message saying they requested the tickets from Oprah and would let us know if they heard from them. Philip had gotten the note from Richard and actually FOLLOWED THROUGH! Another WOW!

After returning from shopping, Richard was back at the Concierge desk so we stopped to find out if he had heard from Oprah staff yet and he said no. We took the elevator up and by time we got in our room Richard had called and said that the Oprah staff called as soon as we walked away from the desk! We were put on Standby for the next day’s early morning taping. We were elated! In one hour we were told that we were upgraded to CONFIRMED! Richard even re-confirmed the time we were supposed to be there - then called us back with specific instructions for when to arrive, when we needed to leave the hotel by, and other necessary guidelines we needed to follow.

This was totally a dream come true for me - to be able to see a taping of the Oprah Show! We gave Richard a BIG tip for his help! And also tipped Philip for his help too!

During the remaining part of our stay, Richard was also very helpful in guiding us for meals. And Philip gave us info about Late Nite Catechism, which was playing at the Royal George Theater. What a hilarious show this is! Catch it if you can - only $30 at the door.

Front desk staff was also very cordial. This hotel rates as FIVE STAR service! It is so very convenient to Magnificent Mile. There is a great grocery store across the street and, of course, a Starbucks on the corner. We did not dine in the restaurant or take advantage of the evening reception but both looked very popular with other guests.

Overall this hotel rated 5 stars out of 5 on my survey card!!! Primo indeed!

I also find it awesome that the management team acknowledges the reviews on this website with their thanks. How spectacular!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
EmbassyHotelManager, Hotel Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown, responded to this review, 3 March 2009
Greetings from the Windy City!

Many, many, many thanks for your kind words. I have shown your comments to Phillip, Michael & Richard; you have made their day! They all remembered you too!

We are all so happy to hear you were so pleased with your visit. You'll have to come back soon & tell us all about your Oprah show! How fun it must have been!

Thank you again for your kindness & your business. We look forward to making your next visit even better.
louisville ky
Reviewed 16 February 2009

From the time we stepped on to the curb in front of the Embassy Suites on State street we were treated like Royalty. The doorman opened our taxi doors and carried our bags inside to the desk. He was very funny and carryed a politeness that is not normally seen in a city the size of Chicago. The staff was very polite and helpful. Our room was immaculate!!! The free happy hour every night was exceleent as weel as the daily free breakfast. The Concierge was very informative and helpful. He made recommendations to dinner the first night and gave us passes to a very good night spot. The second night he helped us with reservations to a very nice restaurant. All in all this was a great time and experince at an awesome hotel.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — We only had 2 nights
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Greetings from the Windy City! Thank you for your compliments of the doorman & concierge staff. It is wonderful to hear that our staff was above the standards you have seen elsewhere. We look forward to greeting you again in the future.
Columbus, OH
Reviewed 15 February 2009

This hotel is the best option for a family visit to downtown Chicago. I have stayed in Chicago for business and pleasure, and this is my favorite place to stay for both.

The staff here are great, from the front desk to the housekeepers, they are all wonderful. The rooms are clean, standard Embassy rooms. The breakfast is great, and I've never had to wait an extraordinary amount of time.

The best of this hotel is it's location. You are a block from the Red Line CTA train and three to four blocks from Michigan Avenue. There is a Rainforest Cafe a block away which is one of the stops for the Double Decker trolley. For a nominal fee, this will take you on a tour of the entire downtown, including the museum campus, Millenium Park, Sears Tower, Navy Pier, etc.

Stay here and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Greetings from the Windy City! Thank you for your kind words about the hotel staff. The team takes great pride in making our guests feel at home and I'm so happy to hear they succeeded again. We look forward to having you & your family back again soon.
richmond, va
Reviewed 15 February 2009

The hotel was fine - a nice, typical Embassy Suites. The italian restaurant was killer good, and I ate there all three nights. I've put this on my 'must stay' list for Chicago, particularly when I am traveling alone, and don't want to walk alone at night for dinner. The restaurant is no compromise, I promise you.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Greeting from the Windy City! Thank you for your kind words about the hotel & the restaurant. We are big fans of Osteria via Stato as well. My favorite is the prosciutto with melon. Thank you again & we look forward to your return.