“Rebranded - but it's headed lower!”

Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront
Ranked #67 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 5 December 2013

This has been a really disappointing stay. I've stayed here for the last 4 years in a row, and opted to stay here for a large conference. Practically the whole of Chicago is booked, and I made sure to book very early in the year - at least 6 months ago.

At $227 plus taxes etc, it was not cheap anyway. I had paid a higher tier which should have equated to a lower floor & "fresher" room. I actually called the hotel myself before booking and the day before I was due arrive to ensure they understood my request.

I get to the hotel around 5 pm and check in. I'm given my keycard and directed to the elevator - no offer of a bellhop, and I just want to get to my room, only to find I'm given a room right next to the elevator (despite request for a quiet room). So I schlepp back down with my 2 cases to request a change to something more suitable.
The person at the desk was rather put out, eventually gave me a room on a much higher floor than I had paid for. I STILL had to take up my own luggage - no offer to help (BTW, I'm female and a visible minority)
I get to the room and try to get use their wifi - and can't connect easily! I call the wifi customer service and manage to get on 30 mins later - not happened to me in that before and not for years.
What else?
The chiller was not working - had to get it replaced
The room temp was not easily regulated
Lukewarm water in shower - yuk! No temp controls
Clogged drain in bathtub
Closet miniscule
There's more, but you get the idea.

There is a lot of renovation work going on around the hotel and all the rooms were supposedly renovated - cheaply! The bathtub was just repainted, with old, flaked & tired looking trim.

I did bring these concerns to the attention of the front desk - they were not interested in making things right, and they had 4 days to do it.

Luckily, there are a number of really good hotels in the area - Renaissance, Intercontinental, Hyatt, Hotel Monaco, so I have lots of choices for next year.

I will NOT be staying in this hotel again. There was no effort to solve the issue now, as it happened - an offer for "better treatment" next time is not good enough.
If you have to stay there, be very careful of your expectations - and what you pay for your room. I left feeling shabbily treated. They do not deserve my custom.

Room Tip: Doesn't matter if you ask - you may not get it! Don't waste your time.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
BobHolland-GM, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear tdmac-
I am terribly sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations and that you were anything less than thrilled with your stay. I want you to know that I have brought up your issues with my management team in an effort to correct and prevent these issues in the future. You most certainly should have been offered a bell hop and a quiet room on the first check-in attempt. Please accept my sincerest apologies and hope that next time you return to Chicago, you would give us another chance to impress you.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
BobHolland-GM, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Reviewed 3 December 2013

We arrived in Chicago right around check in so there was no issues with check in, we also got upgraded for no additional charge. Anthony also made sure my request was granted and put us way up on the 36 floor, thanks! It was our anniversary and couldn't have imagined it being any better, other than crap they all gave me for being a Packer fan, it was all In good fun :) we didn't receive housekeeping as we were barely in our room but the staff was nice enough to give me some extra coffee. The water pressure in the shower was a little slow but I'm assuming that is how rain shower heads work. Thanks for the great anniversary stay in the Windy City !!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Samantha148-
We are so glad you chose to spend your anniversary with us, we are so pleased to have had the opportunity to make is special. Thank you for your kind words and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

1  Thank Daniel B
BobHolland-GM, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

My husband surprised me with an overnight "staycation". He must have given the hotel a heads-up because the concierge, Anthony, did an amazing job planning our evening for us. My husband and I live in Chicago but Anthony was able to provide us a fun and exciting evening out that we never would have ventured to on our own.
The hotel room was beautiful and very quiet, despite construction going on at the hotel. We are so happy with our stay!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nina0284

Dear nina0284-
Thank you so much for your feedback. We are so thrilled that you and your husband enjoyed your 'stay-cation', what a wonderful surprise! I will most certainly pass along your compliments to Anthony. We hope that you'll chose to stay with us again in the future, we would love to welcome you back.