“Great location over looking the river.”

Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront
Ranked #65 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
“Great location over looking the river.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

I've stayed in the Palmer House, Drake, Hyatt and Hard Rock in Chicago and this hotel is right up there with all of these. I was lucky enough to stay over the St Patricks day celebrations and they turn the river green right underneath the hotel so you have pole position out of the window (assuming you have a river view I guess). I didn't eat in the hotel or use the bar so can't comment on those aspects but the room was a good size with a lovely big comfy bed and a great shower. The concierge booked a couple of restaurants for us and were very helpful. Location wise its 2 minutes walk to the bottom of the Michigan Mile and well located for most touristy parts of Chicago. I will definitely be staying again. Highly recommended on location and comfort.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
BobHolland-GM, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear William L-
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us feedback regarding your stay with us. We're so glad you came to stay during all the St. Patrick's day excitement and got to take advantage of our location's prime view. We hope to see you again very soon next time you are traveling in Chicago.

Warm Regards--
Bob Holland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (730)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Mission Viejo, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

I recent stay at this hotel at over the weekend for the housewares tradeshow from Friday-Monday. Here is a list of reason why I or my company would never again stay there AGAIN!
• Front desk gal gave me the wrong direction/information on bus transportation pick up. Was told during check in the bus pickup was around hotel and makes a left at the street corner when it was actually in front of the hotel. I walk around trying to look for the bus pickup for couple block and ended up having to get a cab but the misinformation.
• On Saturday March 15, 2014, the hotel room next to me was partying all day long. I didn’t mind at first because I was off to work during the day and the holiday celebration. I came back to my room around 7pm and they were still partying with their loud music and running around the floor screaming. I left for dinner and came back to the hotel room around 11:30 pm. The loud noise was still going on. I let it go until 12:30am and called the front desk to report the noise disturbance. The guy who picked up advised me he would call security and advise the party to lower down the noise. Nothing happen after 20 min and the room next door started to bang or throw things against the wall. I called back down again and he advised to send security up again. Around 2am in the morning, I couldn’t take it anymore and called down to the front desk. A girl picked up and advised me she would send security up and if they didn’t calm down then they would be kicked out of the hotel. 30 min later nothing had changed and they were still partying, loud music, slamming the door going in and out of their room, and partying so loud. I had to call back down again to complain AGAIN FOR THE 4TH time! After that 10 min later I finally heard someone come up and kick them out of their room. I wasn’t able to fully go to sleep until 3 am and had to work the next morning at 7am! I don’t understand why it took 4times/2 hours calls for something to happen.
• On Sunday March 16, 2014, after coming back from the trade show, I went up to the front desk to check if the room next door to me was empty. The guy I talk to at the front desk advised me the room was unoccupied next door and he was the one I spoke to last night. He said he had kicked them out after I called. I told him that was not true because I had to call 4times in order for the noise to stop and I talked to a girl the third time. Then he explained they must have sneaked up to the room after they were kicked out. Which doesn’t make any sense and he lied!!! How does someone get back into their room after they were kicked out of the hotel? I just didn’t want to argue because I was so exhausted and went to the room to get some sleep.
• On Monday March 15, 2014, the printer toner was empty and the front desk guy was unable to refill the ink to printer. I was unable to print out my boarding passes. Also there was only one guy working the front desk and the line took 20 min to check out of hotel because of the long line.
Extremely bad experience and will stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank NinaAdams86
Dear NinaAdams86-
I am terribly sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay. It is completely understandable that you would be frustrated with an unacceptable noise level at that hour. We do have a policy of removing or quieting guests that are disturbing others and I am sorry if you feel that your request was ignored. I assure you that your comments have been shared with staff to ensure an experience such as yours is not repeated. We do hope that you would reconsider staying with us again so that we can show you a better experience.

Warm Regards--
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Had a great experience at this hotel. The staff were EXCEEDINGLY friendly and helpful, I had a fantastic view from my hotel room, the beds were almost TOO comfortable, the rooms were clean, the bathroom was spacious, and everything looked fancy despite the very reasonable price. Had everything we needed. They even listened to the goofy special request I made!

The location is great, on the edge of downtown Chicago and just up from millennium park. I did have to walk quite a bit to get to other sights, but this wasn't an issue to me. Taxis are very easy to get from outside the hotel should you prefer that. A bakery and 7-11 are nearby for quick food, and two restaurants are directly next door (though I didn't try them).

The only complaints I have is that the wifi was unreliable and tended to drop me and my friend. The showers are also quite low pressure, as another reviewer pointed out.

But yes, for the most part, staying here was a great experience and I'd recommend it to anyone visiting Chicago!

My room was a double queen room.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ergh321
BobHolland-GM, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Andrew G--
Thank you so much for your review. We're very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you plan to return! I apologize for the WiFi, but assure you we are in the process of upgrading it for more reliable service. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you find yourself in Chicago.

Warm Regards-
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

Positives: Our room was lovely. Corner room with river and city views. Nice location. Bathroom very modern and nice to look at. Negatives: We were a family of 3, and the spacious bathroom included a lovely dressing area, which unfortunately was inside the bathroom proper rather than separated, so there was no privacy, which limited its usefulness. Walls are very thin and main doors cannot be closed without noise. Noisy neighbors a problem at night. Concierge not helpful for tourist information. Restaurant food was excellent, but very expensive and service very slow. Took us a day to discover the Corner Cafe a few doors down. Beds were only marginally comfortable. Not my first choice for Chicago. My impression was that this is primarily a business traveler's hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

1 Thank Nora B
Dear Nora B-
Thank you so much for your review. I want to assure you that all of your comments and concerns will be taken into consideration. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your room, for the most part and apologize if the set up wasn't fit for your family. We're happy to accommodate you as best we can, feel free to inquire about rooms and their lay outs next time you are making a reservation with us. We do hope that you will stay with us again when returning to Chicago.

Warm Regards-