“Stay at Wyndham 6/23-6/24”

Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront
Ranked #64 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (740)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Fishers, Indiana
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

We go to Chicago fairly regularly and have never, for some reason, stayed here! I tend to book Wyndham properties because I am very familiar with them and they are generally very nice. This hotel is just west of Michigan Ave on Wacker dr on the river. It is centrally located to everything! I recommend eating breakfast at Wildberry Pancakes... It was amazing! If you are more of a cafe type, there is a good one just east of the property.

The Wyndham River front is fantastic! There is a parking garage onsite to the left of the hotel entrance. It costs $60 per day with in/out priviledges. $60 is decent for downtown Chicago parking. Especially for private garage parking. Check in was a breeze. The front desk area was small but they used the space appropriately. The front desk personell was helpful and answered any questions we had. They were very knowledgeable of the area.

We stayed in room 3109. It was close to the elevator. I always travel with a fan so we didnt here it at all. I was expecting a typical "hotel" room. You know, walk in and see a restroom door to your left and your bed with a tv on a dresser... Standard stuff right?! Well, we were very pleased because the rooms actually delt as if it were our own little studio apartment! Yes it had all of the standard stuff in there but, the layout was great! It is all one large room but it was layed out in a way that it felt like there were three distinct areas!

We had the Deluxe king room with a city view. The view was pretty darn nice! Wben you walk into the room the window is the entire length of your unit so its impossible to not appreciate the skyline or the river. The restroom was beautiful! The shower was all tile and had a rainfall head. There was also tile flooring in there. The room was very clean and all sheets and pillow cases were new.

We did not take advantage of any onsite amenities. There is a nice restaurant, a gym and they offer spa services! I wanted to get a nice couples massage but time nor money allowed it! All in all, we were very happy to stay here. We will definitely be staying here again. You get a high quality property for a good price! We shall return!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
BobHolland-GM, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
The Connors--
Thank you so much for letting us know how much you enjoyed your stay. We thank you for choosing our hotel and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time you are traveling in Chicago.

Best-
Juli Colon,
Director of Rooms
Portland
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This hotel is in a great location, within walking distance of many businesses, restaurants, sites, and public transportation. The room was clean and had a refrigerator and coffee maker. I wish they had provided caffeinated tea bags every day (they always provided both caffeinated and decaf coffee k-cups), but under-serving tea drinkers is common in the hotel industry.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
BobHolland-GM, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Linda R-
Thank you so much for letting us know how your recent stay was, we appreciate your comments. We are pleased that you enjoyed yourself and are sorry that you didn't receive regular tea. Please don't hesitate to ask next time you stay with us-- we would be happy to provide some! We thank you for staying with us and look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Warm Regards-
Bob Holland
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I think 3.5 stars is probably a better assessment. We recently stayed here on a bachelorette party with a large group - they weren't able to have our rooms all together or connected, but they did get us on floors above each other... that seems a bit hard to believe in such a large hotel, but so it was. The rooms are huggge and well appointed. There were NO mirrors in the room besides in the bathroom - which made it difficult to get ready but they were nice enough to bring up an extra mirror. The service overall was good except for a really terrible experience with the bellman outside of the hotel who was (failing at) directing cabs for guests. I did not see him outside and began to try to get my own cab, he then (and I mean literally) flipped out and started screaming at me - at no time did he offer to try to get me a cab and told me to move and go to the next street. It was bizarre to say the least, at first I thought he had to be kidding - but no he found it acceptable to scream at hotel guests and quite literally kick them to the curb. I was so upset about the incident I went inside and told several employees, one (who worked at the concierge desk) just rolled his eyes at me (also incredibly inappropriate) but the manager seemed to care and said he would address the issue with the employee - I have no idea if that happened but I would say that my experience with that one man would likely prevent me from ever staying in this hotel again. One might assume it was just my interaction with this man, but we met up with other friends in our party later and before I even told my story she said he had also yelled at her and another women who was standing there.... that man should be fired. Overall, it was a nice hotel with a great location - but the lobby is really small and the elevators are painfully old and slow. The hotel bar/restaurant is great and we enjoyed a nice lunch there on the patio.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear MMMer-
Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience with us. I assure you that your comments will be shared and addressed with our team in order to improve guest experience. We thank you so much for choosing to stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Warm Regards-