“Just fine if you're on a budget”

Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront
Ranked #66 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Atlanta, GA
“Just fine if you're on a budget”
Reviewed 10 July 2009

My husband and I lived in Chicago for four years, so when we went back recently to visit friends for a weekend, we weren't concerned with getting a top-of-the-line hotel to experience the city from. We wanted a good location, a comfortable room, and that was about it. We found a great deal at Hotel 71 through Easyclicktravel.com and found that the TripAdvisor reviews we'd read about the hotel were fairly accurate.

We checked in late on a Friday night due to a delayed flight. The man working the reception desk seemed a little spacey and first gave us a key to an occupied room--we went up there with our luggage and opened the door to find it chained and the TV on inside! We went back to the front desk to request a second room--this time we got a smoking room after we had requested nonsmoking. Finally, the 3rd room they gave us fit the bill. The chaos upon check-in is the one true complaint I have about Hotel 71.

The room was clean and comfortable and a great deal for the price we paid. The tub in the bathroom did drain a bit slowly, but not enough to bother us. The staff were all kind and attentive and the location truly can't be beat. I think my husband summed it up best by saying that the Hotel 71 is a hotel that probably used to be really great, but has languished a bit over the years and could use a little TLC. For the price we paid, though (about $115 a night), we felt we got a great deal of value for our money.

If you are planning your first trip to Chicago, though, I would recommend not going with the Hotel 71 just to save money--splurge on a nicer hotel in the same River North area and enjoy your experience in the city!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Juli C, Director of Rooms at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this review, 10 September 2016
Dear dany2006 ,

Thank you so much for choosing Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront! We have definately addressed all the issues you mentiones with our staff. Again, thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we truly look forward to having you return to stay with soon!

Director of Rooms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (769)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Duisburg
Reviewed 9 July 2009

This hotel has a perfect location which means you can walk to most of Chicago's major attractions like Mag Mile, Navy Pier, Millennium Park, Loop, State Street. There are also subway stations close by to reach attractions more far away. From O'Hare airport we took the blue line subway to the downtown station Clark/Lake for $2.25 ea. and then had a 5 minute-walk to the hotel.
The hotel itself is an older building which you can tell from the interior. There are old doors and old cabinets inside the rooms.The hotel offers little service, no ice, no restaurants, no vending machines.

Still, the staff is very friendly, safes are available in the reception office and the rooms are clean, have TV, stereo, a clean bathroom. Another plus: Free Wi-Fi in the room.

Rooms appaer a bit dark as they have dark rugs and furniture.

We recommend the Corner Bakery next door for meals.

We would stay again for location but not really because the hotel is so great.

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jeco2006
Dear Jeco2006,

Thank you so much for choosing Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront! We have definately addressed all the issues you mentiones. Again, thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we truly look forward to having you return to stay with soon!

Indiana
Reviewed 8 July 2009

I have traveled to Chicago on many occasions. I decided to stay at a different area closer to Michigan Av. I chose Hotel 71. The staff was very nice. The out side and the hotel lobby was okay. But once I got to our room, i was kind of disappointed. the hotel room was not as nice as the picture that they showed. The room itself was clean but it was the little details that where not right. For instance, the tub and shower needed some work the shower handles and knobs where loose and out of place. The tub looked like it had been painted and the paint was wearing off. The old staines where coming through. Also when i wen to turn down the bed, there was no fitted mattress sheets on the bed they just took a regular sheet and covered the mattress with it. After the first night we got up early that morning and went out for the day . We did not return until about four o'clock that evening and our room had not yet been cleaned . Even though the staff was very nice, I was not impressed by this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Dear mrscfuller ,

Thank you so much for choosing Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront!! We have definately addressed all the issues you mentiones. Again, thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we truly look forward to having you return to stay with soon!

Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 7 July 2009

I booked my room on hotels.com for a very reasonable price. I got the 303 room. Lake view. It was absolutely amazing!! The room was spacious, very clean, trendy, had comfy bed and posibly one of the greatest view ive seen at night. I thought it might be noisy because it was next to the elevator but surprisingly it wasnt noisy at all. We definetely had some rest and slept like babies :). Our room also had a mini CD player which thought it was a plus. The location was great! We had the Wrigley Building, Mag Mile and Hancock observatory at a walking distance. Navy Pier it was also close, you can make it closer if you take the water taxi!!. The staff were friendly and always tried to help us. I just had an incident with my credit card. They charged me twice the parking cost even when my boyfriend payed them with cash at the moment of getting the car so i when i checked out the front desk guy gave me my receipt and of course i noticed it. Thanx Gosh i realized and they cancelled the double charge but this guy were so willing to help and give us the best service because of course it was a misundestanding.

In a few words, you wont regret if you get this hotel. I can almost guarantee you that! and please note i didnt get paid to post this comment :) This hotel has almost everything except pool. I would be great though.

Great hotel, great service, great location, great staff, great decor, great view, great cleanliness. My grade is 9/10.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank innavonfustenberg
Dear hotpinkcoco

Thank you so much for choosing Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront!!! We definately have a great river view and we are centraly located to all our wonderful city can offer. Thank you again for taking the time to provide such a GRAND review and we look forward to having you stay with us soon!

WIsconsin
Reviewed 1 July 2009

My girlfriends and I stayed at this hotel the night of June 27th for my birthday/girl's weekend. There was 6 of us total. I booked off of easyclicktravel.com and got a really good deal. We took the Amtrak and Union Station was not far from the hotel. The rooms were VERY spacious and clean. I also requested a connecting/adjoining room and we got that with no problems. We were also given an early check-in and upgraded to river view rooms when I only booked a city view room. The views from all of our windows was AWESOME! It was also nice that they opened. The location of this hotel was very nice also. It's about a 1 1/2blks from MI Ave. We also went to the The Roof which is a lounge bar at the Wit Hotel. It was walking distance. Some other bars that we went to, we had to take a cab but it was no more than $8 or so. As some other people mention it is also right around the corner from The Corner Bakery which has very good breakfast, but get there early cause it gets crowded (we went around 10a)

My only complaint were the elevators. I had read about that in some of the reviews listed but I also read that the problem had been fixed...I couldn't tell. It wouldn't prevent me from staying here but it's just something to know.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
Dear luv2travel1006

Thank you so much for choosing Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, we definately have a great river view. Thank you again for taking the time to provide such a GRAND review and we look forward to having you stay with us soon!

Portsmouth
Reviewed 30 May 2009

Harry Aylward, Portsmouth, UK

Was apprehensive about staying here after reading reviews.All the negative review points have been actioned by the staff.No complaints on that at all.The location was perfect,right on the river ,10 mins walk to the lake and 5 mins from the magnificent mile for shops.Plenty of good eating places within 10 mins walk.Upgraded to a river view room and was well worth it.The room was large enough for a whole family of 6.Booked one month in advance on the internet and obtained a good discount.Would stay again if in Chicago.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
Dear oldben070,

Thank you so much for choosing Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, we definately are centraly located. Thank you again for taking the time to provide such a GRAND review and we look forward to having you stay with us soon!

Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Reviewed 6 May 2009

Great location, very clean, and helpful staff. What more can I say?

• Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple