Chicago Marriott at Medical District/UIC
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsunited centertaylor streetthe shuttle driverfree shuttlethe concierge loungefront deskstayed at the marriottbulls gamea marriott rewards memberhotel shuttlevalet parkingthe hotel's restaurantrooms were very cleanthe hotel offersdirectly across the streetdesk staffper day
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 April 2013

This hotel is convenient if you need to stay near Rush University Medical Center or the University of Illinois-Chicago. As mentioned by others, the lobby is small and unfriendly. The rooms are standard Marriott rooms, and contained adequate plug ins and lighting for those that need to work and/or want to read.

It wasn't hard to connect my laptop to the wireless network (after paying the usual outrageous fee), but when I wanted to connect my ipad and iphone to the network, I was requested to sign in again and approve the extra charge. Fortunately, I was not charged double to having multiple devices connected to the network.

I discovered the hair dryer only worked on one speed-low. Had I not had extra time this morning that could have been a problem. There was no coffee pot in the room-something that's very handy in the morning, if you want a cup of coffee before getting dressed and going down for breakfast. I saw the sign in the lobby about serving Starbucks coffee so I assumed they had a Starbucks in the lobby where I could grab a coffee and roll this morning. I found out that the sign was for their restaurant that served Starbucks coffee.

Although my room was on the concierge floor, I was told that I did not have access to the concierge lounge since I wasn't a gold or platnium (sp). Usually the rooms are a little nicer on the concierge floor and usually they allow everyone on that floor to access the concierge lounge.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ColumbiaMDPercolate
Reviewed 22 March 2013

The location is everything for this place. The staff is very professional and even friendly. My first impression particularly after using Marriott for much of my other travel needs, was that this place was a bit older but recently updated. It didn't seem close to anything other than the Medical Center. If you are visiting the Rush Medical Center this Marriott is directly across the street. They charge about $30 to park, $5 for what I consider regular cable channels, and even for coffee. Many things that other locations provide complimentary to the guest. In my view, our discounted Rush Medical Center rate of $200 was padded with the other charges and taxes to increase our daily bill to nearly $300 a night for what seemed like a very basic room, much more than I've paid for Marriotts in other large cities. That said the location for the medical center couldn't be better. So if you're a Rush patient and planning to stay a night or two I'd recommend this as your room of choice. Be aware that the outside rooms, or those facing the street are a bit noisy. You'll hear street noise all night. If you're looking for a quieter place ask for a room away from the street.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Kurt M
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Last summer my wife and I decided to take our first trip to Chicago. We started by looking at hotels near Millennium Park but they were extremely expensive. After doing a lot of research we settled on the Chicago Marriott at Medical District. It is a basic Marriott property, nice but not overly elegant or trendy, with rooms that were clean and comfortable but not huge. The value of this hotel lies in the fact that it is nice and clean with a friendly staff and is inexpensive compared to other Chicago hotels. And just a short, one block, walk down the street and you are at the Polk train station which is on the Pink line and offers a short ride into downtown.

If you are on a sightseeing trip definitely check out the Field Museum, it is amazing - http://www.choosechicago.com/articles/view/THE-FIELD-MUSEUM/91/

Here's another quick guide of things to do in Chicago - http://www.ytravelblog.com/what-to-do-in-chicago/

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dennis K
Reviewed 1 March 2013

Valet was outstanding...in fact the best part! Hotel lobby staff very unfriendly and acted bored to death. Lobby very small. Rooms very clean...older but updated. Bought 3 beers from hotel bar...$21!

Not close to anything except UIC and Rush.

Just ok.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Patricia T
Reviewed 8 February 2013 via mobile

I just got to Chicago and left a bag with my IPad Kindle and camera in a taxi. The hotel staff went out of their way to look through security film to get the taxi's name and cab number. Victoria, Luis, Mansour really helped in getting my bag back from the taxi!!! It was so nice to feel the hotel really cares for their guests!!! Our stay at the hotel was great.

1  Thank Sandisoncm