“Friendly, Clean, Great Location and Great Restaurant”

Chicago Marriott at Medical District/UIC
Ranked #130 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Palm City, Florida
“Friendly, Clean, Great Location and Great Restaurant”
Reviewed 23 May 2013

This hotel does no disappoint! From the Front Desk, to Housekeeping, the Shuttle Driver to the Restaurant and Room, they exceed expectations. Not only was the room spotless, housekeeping met me in the hallway upon arrival to ask if they could do anything else! The Bartender is AWESOME - Jim creates his own mixes from scratch and crafts each cocktail individually, no fake stuff here, all done with a great sense of humor and a bit of showmanship! The location is perfect, next to Little Italy and the restaurant/bar seating is indoor/outdoor almost park like with cushy couches and chairs. When in this city I am use to overpriced everything. This hotel is the opposite, from the cocktails to the food, it's quite reasonable. The shuttle driver is super friendly and at your service, upon arrival at Racine Station, I called and the van showed up in less than 5 minutes! On one occasion took us to 7-11, waited for us while we bought water, coffee, etc . When we called from Francesca's on Taylor, he was there in less than 5 minutes. All in all, this hotel is a Chicago Gem. We were in town for the NRA (Restaurant) show and the city was completely booked. $10.50 cab ride to McCormick and QUICK! This hotel will be my place when in Chicago! PS: I was on Marriott Points during their busiest time of year and was still treated like gold!

Room Tip: Stayed in 418 overlooking trees, very quiet! This is the medical district and next to a teaching ho...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Stoney Creek, Canada
Reviewed 1 May 2013

My husband and I went to Chicago for the last part of our honeymoon. We scored a great deal on priceline (name your own price) for the Marriott at UIC. We choose this area for the price and the location of the train-line into the loop. The pink line station (polk street) is only 4 blocks away and it goes right into the loop/downtown area making transportation quick, easy and affordable.

The staff was pleasant and respectful when we checked in. We got upgraded to a room with a king bed without even asking. The room itself was clean, with a working mini-fridge and a keurig brewer. My favorite part was the shower; it was so powerful! I love taking a hot shower with excellent water pressure. I can see how someone would feel it was "too much" but again, I loved it.

The business center they have in the lobby isn't the greatest. It's an old computer with an outdated version of internet explorer on it. I know they charge for the internet; we didn't bring our laptops so I have no idea what the charge would be. We weren't in our hotel room that much the entire weekend; we took advantage of the train/bus systems and got to see the entire city so we didn't need internet.

The bed was comfortable and every single employee we ran into had a smile on their face and a nice "hello" to follow. They also had a shuttle service that ran every hour to go anywhere within a mile radius of the hotel; we didn't use it but saw that many guests did. There's a Jewel/Osco about 4 blocks down that you can hit and grab some snacks so you don't have to pay the outrageous water/food costs at the hotel.

You can't complain with a nice comfortable bed/comforter; clean area and good staff. If you're looking to score a good deal and willing to take public transportation where you need to go this is a great deal; otherwise you'll have to pay the $100-$400 dollar a night prices to be in the downtown/loop/gold coast area.

Room Tip: I always recommend priceline; do the express deals and/or name your own price and plan ahead for you...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chanscupcake
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 8 April 2013

This hotel is convenient if you need to stay near Rush University Medical Center or the University of Illinois-Chicago. As mentioned by others, the lobby is small and unfriendly. The rooms are standard Marriott rooms, and contained adequate plug ins and lighting for those that need to work and/or want to read.

It wasn't hard to connect my laptop to the wireless network (after paying the usual outrageous fee), but when I wanted to connect my ipad and iphone to the network, I was requested to sign in again and approve the extra charge. Fortunately, I was not charged double to having multiple devices connected to the network.

I discovered the hair dryer only worked on one speed-low. Had I not had extra time this morning that could have been a problem. There was no coffee pot in the room-something that's very handy in the morning, if you want a cup of coffee before getting dressed and going down for breakfast. I saw the sign in the lobby about serving Starbucks coffee so I assumed they had a Starbucks in the lobby where I could grab a coffee and roll this morning. I found out that the sign was for their restaurant that served Starbucks coffee.

Although my room was on the concierge floor, I was told that I did not have access to the concierge lounge since I wasn't a gold or platnium (sp). Usually the rooms are a little nicer on the concierge floor and usually they allow everyone on that floor to access the concierge lounge.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ColumbiaMDPercolate
Pearl City, Illinois
Reviewed 22 March 2013

The location is everything for this place. The staff is very professional and even friendly. My first impression particularly after using Marriott for much of my other travel needs, was that this place was a bit older but recently updated. It didn't seem close to anything other than the Medical Center. If you are visiting the Rush Medical Center this Marriott is directly across the street. They charge about $30 to park, $5 for what I consider regular cable channels, and even for coffee. Many things that other locations provide complimentary to the guest. In my view, our discounted Rush Medical Center rate of $200 was padded with the other charges and taxes to increase our daily bill to nearly $300 a night for what seemed like a very basic room, much more than I've paid for Marriotts in other large cities. That said the location for the medical center couldn't be better. So if you're a Rush patient and planning to stay a night or two I'd recommend this as your room of choice. Be aware that the outside rooms, or those facing the street are a bit noisy. You'll hear street noise all night. If you're looking for a quieter place ask for a room away from the street.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Kurt M
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Last summer my wife and I decided to take our first trip to Chicago. We started by looking at hotels near Millennium Park but they were extremely expensive. After doing a lot of research we settled on the Chicago Marriott at Medical District. It is a basic Marriott property, nice but not overly elegant or trendy, with rooms that were clean and comfortable but not huge. The value of this hotel lies in the fact that it is nice and clean with a friendly staff and is inexpensive compared to other Chicago hotels. And just a short, one block, walk down the street and you are at the Polk train station which is on the Pink line and offers a short ride into downtown.

If you are on a sightseeing trip definitely check out the Field Museum, it is amazing - http://www.choosechicago.com/articles/view/THE-FIELD-MUSEUM/91/

Here's another quick guide of things to do in Chicago - http://www.ytravelblog.com/what-to-do-in-chicago/

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dennis K
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 1 March 2013

Valet was outstanding...in fact the best part! Hotel lobby staff very unfriendly and acted bored to death. Lobby very small. Rooms very clean...older but updated. Bought 3 beers from hotel bar...$21!

Not close to anything except UIC and Rush.

Just ok.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stephanie5656
Reviewed 8 February 2013 via mobile

I just got to Chicago and left a bag with my IPad Kindle and camera in a taxi. The hotel staff went out of their way to look through security film to get the taxi's name and cab number. Victoria, Luis, Mansour really helped in getting my bag back from the taxi!!! It was so nice to feel the hotel really cares for their guests!!! Our stay at the hotel was great.

1 Thank Sandisoncm