“Service With A Smile.”

Ranked #129 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Louisville, Kentucky
“Service With A Smile.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

I truly like this hotel. They were always friendly and everyone had a smile on there face. There are two people at this hotel that stands out to me. Raymond & Terrance. Both gentleman are excellent. The build relationships with the guest, They make you feel warm and welcome. Terrance knows the company very well. He told me he use to be a Front Desk agent. He needs to be on the front line. Guest would appericate him when they are checking into the hotel. The rooms were clean and nice. The lobby was always clean and clear. If you get access to lounge. Its a wonderful experience.

Christina has a wonderful personality and smile. She is also another key person at the hotel.
I would defentily recommend this hotel to all my co-workers and friends. You guys rock!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Alpine, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

As a platinum Marriott Guest I didn't lack for any of the expected perks like free internet, access to the Concierge lounge, full breakfast, etc. But I did notice the room seemed a bit downgraded to what one might expect in a Courtyard or Fairfield Inn.

Yet the bed was certainly comfortable and the staff super friendly. Say "hey" to Big Karris, the bellman and van driver. He was always friendly and talkative in a helpful and friendly way.

Stayed December 2013
Montgomery, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I recently stayed at the hotel for 5 nights as I had surgery at Rush. We cannot say enough about the valets and shuttle staff. They were exceptional and caring. There were others but Louie and Dave and Ahmad were wonderful to us. Took us to everywhere we needed to go and really seemed to care about how we were doing. Most of the front desk staff were friendly and helpful especially those on the evening staff. The room was very comfortable and well appointed. Another plus is the exceptional room service food quality. We were very pleased with this.

The only negative comments would be the time it takes to get your room cleaned -we had to ask almost every day and HK staff very unfriendly and some of the day shift personnel on the front desk who were efficient but very unfriendly. They would look down at their computers as if doing something versus talking to you.

However the good outweighed the bad due to the exceptional people you have hired for valets We would stay there again if we need to use Rush again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Freehold, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

This hotel may have the friendliest, professional and caring staff that I have encountered in years at a hotel. I fly in for work and need to stay in the western loop for three nights due to business.The first time I stayed here at the end of October, I arrived after 10:30 pm after a late, east coast flight. From the time, I left the cab to the time I got to the front desk I was greeted politely by four staff members. I thought I looked like a local celebrity but a mirror in the lobby disproved that fact (LOL). I recognized very quickly that every guest was treated this way.

I returned this week on the same late night flight and this time the staff remembered my name, as I got out of the cab and went to the front desk to check in (WOW..REALLY?) Throughout my stay the staff in the public dining rooms, the front desk, the bellmen, the shuttle drivers, even the house keeping staff ensured my stay was exactly what I needed. The hotel is beautiful and well maintained. The public areas are impeccably clean as are the rooms. This is a wonderful facility to stay at for both business, pleasure and if you are using the local area hospital services. Although the hotel does not offer many amenities, the knowledgeable front desk staff was great in directions and travel recommendations around the city. I am due back here next month and look forward to staying at this hotel again.

In these times of less is more, it is a job not a career, and the fact that some hotels feel the customer “owes’ them something for being a guest, this Marriott refuses to accept that mentality.The staff has surpassed my previous thoughts on hotel service and set the new standard in my mind of what hotel service once was and is now offering world-class service at this Chicago location. My compliments to the staff and the management for a job, very well done.

Room Tip: Be pleasant to the front desk people at check in. If you have "gold" rating with Marriott...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Cumberland, Rhode Island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

This was probably one of the worst Marriott's I've stayed in. No continental breakfast. No pool. No airport shuttle. No free Wi-Fi!!! Really? Wi-Fi is everywhere! Beds were comfortable though. Shower pressure too much. Poor bar/restaurant.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Melissa R
CHIDM, Manager at Chicago Marriott at Medical District/UIC, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Melissa,

Thank you very much for recently staying with us and taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor; your feedback and the feedback of others helps us to ensure the highest levels of service and quality. I am very happy to hear that you found your bed to be comfortable. We are in the middle of changing out all of our mattresses throughout the Hotel and have received nothing but rave reviews from those getting good nights of sleep.

I am sorry, though, to learn of your disappointment with several aspects your stay. As a full-service Marriott Hotel, we do offer complimentary Wi-Fi and breakfast to our Gold & Platinum Marriott Reward Members, as well as those who book our various packages that include such amenities. I am unsure what type of rate you selected when making your reservation, but there are several discounted rates that we offer which do not include such amenities.

I do not know of any Hotels in Downtown Chicago that offers a Airport Shuttle, but we do have a complimentary shuttle that runs anywhere within a 1 mile radius; something that no other Downtown Chicago Hotel I know of does. Go Airport Express it the main shuttle vendor at both Midway and O'Hare Airports which has flat rates to our Hotel based on the number of passengers in your group, and we are always more than happy to help arrange pick-up.

It is true that we do not have an onsite pool, but we do have an arrangement with our neighbor, The University of Illinois at Chicago, where for $15 our guests can gain full access to their new and state-of-the-art fitness and pool facilities.

Our bar and restaurant, Rooks, is frequently ranked amongst Marriott Reward Members as one of their favorites amongst the Marriott Family, but I will certainly share the comment with our Team so that we are always providing the finest food and beverages.

You are welcome to contact me directly if you have any other questions or comments, and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

In the Spirit to Serve,

Adam Nemirow
Hotel Manager
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here to attend a conference but it wasn't a location I would have picked otherwise. Our room was comfortable, but didn't get cleaned until after 2pm, which was inconvenient. My main complaint is that wi-Fi was an additional charge. This is 2013, free wi-Fi is every where, and for the price of the room it just seems petty that it's not included.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Sandyharris
Bloomington, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

Hotel was nice. We booked on a week notice for a 2 night night stay in June and was hard to find any good prices for hotels in downtown Chicago so we tried this hotel after reading the reviews. It was still expensive but cheaper than most downtown hotels and the parking was cheaper than downtown. They have a shuttle that leaves every half hour (until about 10 or 10:30pm) and will drop you off up to a mile away. We had them drop of us a couple times at the blue line subway. We also walked to/from the blue line subway several times. It was about a 10 to 15 minute walk. We took that line to downtown Chicago all 3 days we were there and it worked really slick. The blue line had about 4 more stops to get to the main part of downtown. The pink line was even a closer walk but we didn't try that one as we were told to try the blue line. Rooms were nice and comfortable. We didn't pay the overpriced parking to do valet at the hotel for $35 but parked at the hospital across the street...$13.50 for 24 hours. We looked at hotels downtown and they were usually around $50/day for parking, so this was a good part of the reason for our pick at this hotel. We felt safe walking around this area too. We had dinner in Greektown, a mile or two away from the hotel before checking in. Little Italy is also suppose to be close. Chicago has a lot to see and wish we would of had more time and not such a long drive that took up a lot of our 3 day visit!

Pros: Close to two subway stops and near the interstate so it was easy to find. Close enough to downtown to get around easy without driving downtown.

Cons: Cheaper breakfast options. Free or cheaper wireless internet in the rooms.

Room Tip: This isn't a high rise hotel, but of the few floors, the higher floor you get is better as the a...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple