“I feel like i was family”

Chicago Marriott at Medical District/UIC
Ranked #130 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Louisville, Kentucky
“I feel like i was family”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

This hotel is really a great hotel. The rooms are lovely, the staff is everything. I stayed at the hotel for my moms surgery. They made sure I was ok. Very hospitable. Harris the shuttle driver. What an guy. He is ultra friendly. I love him. He reminds me of a valet teddy bear. Just full of love. He is accurate and speedy. Always with a smile.. Made me feel happy even when I was worried. The girls at the front desk are wonderful. They always welcome you back and smile. Terrance in the concierge lounge. WOW... He goes above and beyond to make you feel welcome. Long talks and dinner with him made me feel comfortable. I really takes the time to get personal with you. Its not live no other concierge I've ever seen.. He don't just stand there.. He interacts with you.. I've told him many of times I can tell he is cut from a different cloth. Not everything from Detroit is bad. I felt like I was in my own living room. He is so lovely. This hotel has a staff that cannot be replaced. I will recommend the hotel to all my friends. If your having to go to Rush hospital... You should stay there.

Ps. The Chef... The Baked Chicken And Pork Chops are amazing. You are a true cook.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
IL
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I arrived at this hotel on 1/5/14 after driving in a winter storm. I was so glad to arrive safely that I hugged the valet! The bellman, valet and front desk were all so welcoming. My room was a good size with king bed, mini-refrig (which is appreciated since I was there for a week), laptop safe, and nice bathroom accommodations.
I had room service two nights - the food was good and the servers pleasant. I ate in the restaurant one evening - very friendly staff and again the food was good.
One of the best things about this hotel is the shuttle service. I used the shuttle to and from my office. This was so handy when the weather was -45 degrees and snowy! The shuttle drivers were friendly. During the drives home, I enjoyed talking with Karris...so friendly and personable. I would highly recommend this hotel - the staff alone make your stay more enjoyable!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I had tickets to see Beyoncé at the United Center, and decided to book a room here instead of trying to drive back home to the burbs. So glad that I did. 1. The hotel is a little over 1 mile from the United Center 2. It snowed like crazy that night. No way did I want to be out driving in that weather. The hotel has a free shuttle that will take you anywhere within a 1 mile radius. It stops at 10:30 p.m.; but there were so many people at the hotel going to the concert, that they made special accommodations for all guests to get there and back (even though the concert didn't end until after 11 p.m.). My only negative comment is that I find the $39 valet parking fee kind of high (considering the hotel is not in downtown Chicago). Thankfully, I was able to get a hotel rate that included the valet parking for a reduced amt. As far as the hotel itself goes, staff was very friend and helpful, and the rooms were very nice and clean. My fiancé is in love with the Marriott's bedding, so I darned near had to drag him out the room so we could check out. Lol! When he found out the linen Marriott uses is available for purchase, he had the nerve to put it on his "Christmas list." Smh!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Macon, Georgia
Reviewed 11 December 2013 via mobile

For the second time in three months I booked a Marriott despite unfavorable Tripadvisor reviews and found the reviews to be wrong. This hotel had fantastic staff, a very good restaurant and room service, and the perfect location. Nice size rooms and bathroom. Good fitness area and a safe walking area. I walked all over the area day and night and felt safe. Taylor Street has great restaurants, it is Little Italy. I never had to use a cab as I walked to UIC and dinner. So, I saved a lot on cab fares and maybe that helped offset the expense. The room rates are high, above $325 for two nights and $265 for two nights. Also, in contrast to other reviewers, Gold and higher get free internet, free breakfast. Shuttle is free for one mile. Internet is weak on end rooms. Again, expensive but sometimes rates are lower. If you need to be in this area and can afford it, stay here and you will not be disappointed. If the expense bothers you, find another place, cab everywhere you need to go and see how you feel. I liked this place and will be returning.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Oakdale, MN
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We booked this hotel since it was close to the United Center. We came in town to watch a Chicago Blackhawks game to celebrate my husbands birthday. We were pleasantly surprised. The staff there is top notch, everyone was very helpful and always had a smile for you and very helpful. Gave us recommendations for places to go as well as restaurants in the area which they likes. It was great to find out that the shuttle driver (Karris) had gone to the same Community College that our son attended, we enjoyed listening to his stories about Minnesota while he took us to our destination. We had a enjoyable visit. Room was very nice and clean. Had a nice time in the bar talking with the bartender and wait staff our first night. Even the buffet breakfast was good. Lots of choices, more than some hotels we have stayed at. Only problem we had was getting the shuttle to come back we ended up taking a cab and found out that the power had gone out in the area and knocked out the phone lines - which explained the weird messages on our phone when trying to call.

Room Tip: Our room faced the street, which was fine, we really didn't hear any noise considering there is...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I truly like this hotel. They were always friendly and everyone had a smile on there face. There are two people at this hotel that stands out to me. Raymond & Terrance. Both gentleman are excellent. The build relationships with the guest, They make you feel warm and welcome. Terrance knows the company very well. He told me he use to be a Front Desk agent. He needs to be on the front line. Guest would appericate him when they are checking into the hotel. The rooms were clean and nice. The lobby was always clean and clear. If you get access to lounge. Its a wonderful experience.

Christina has a wonderful personality and smile. She is also another key person at the hotel.
I would defentily recommend this hotel to all my co-workers and friends. You guys rock!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Alpine, Utah
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

As a platinum Marriott Guest I didn't lack for any of the expected perks like free internet, access to the Concierge lounge, full breakfast, etc. But I did notice the room seemed a bit downgraded to what one might expect in a Courtyard or Fairfield Inn.

Yet the bed was certainly comfortable and the staff super friendly. Say "hey" to Big Karris, the bellman and van driver. He was always friendly and talkative in a helpful and friendly way.

Stayed December 2013