“Convenient & Chic”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Troy, Michigan
“Convenient & Chic”
Reviewed 14 August 2012

We were in town for Lollapalooza (which was absolute ridiculousness) so very little time was going to be spent at the hotel anyway. However, this hotel was not only close to Grant Park, but it was amazing. Don't get me wrong, it was no 5 star hotel but it did more than meet the purposes of our trip. I booked the room through a 3rd party company so the price was fairly decent. The bar inside the hotel was upper echelon (I recommend you pay a visit, kind of pricey) and when you sit at the bar you look out through one giant window view of the city. Like I said, for the purposes of our trip I was satisfied.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
JenniferKedinger, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, 16 August 2012
We are pleased to see you enjoyed your stay during Lollapalooza and that our hotel location near Grant Park suited your trip downtown Chicago. Thank you kindly for taking the time to give your feedback on TripAdvisor. We hope that we can welcome you back for Lollapalooza 2013. Take care.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,345)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Arrived August 2nd for what I knew would be a busy weeekend in Chicago, Lollapalooza. So I prepared to be patient. Before leaving for the airport that morning I recieve an email from Hyatt for web check-in. I decided to give this a try, since it as what time I would be arriving I thought it might cut down on the crowds of check-in. I arrived at the hotel around 2:15pm, stating on web check-in I would be there around 2:00pm. When I entered the hotel I was told the check in was on the second floor, once I arrived there a gentleman saw that I had my computer print out with my bar code for check in and ushered me to a kiosk where all I had to do was scan the bar code and within 5 minutes I was checked in and the kiosk was printing my room keys. If you have the opportunity to do the web check-in do it! The line to conventional check in was long, I was in my room before some of them probably even moved in line.

This hotel is huge but it is easy to navigate and someone is alway there to guide you in the right direction. My room was in the main hotel on the 4th floor. Wow! What a room, it was much bigger then I had expected and was very clean. We had two queen beds, a nice seating area and a large flat screen tv. The bathroom was huge and very clearn, it had a very spacious walk in shower and a nice large mirror. There was a large closet and a desk. The room was clean and the cleaning staff did a wonderful job daily of coming into the room and cleaning and replacing towels, making beds.

The area of this hotel is ideal for seeing the sites of Chicago, it is walking distance to some beautiful areas. Because I was attending the festival for the weekend I didn't get to a lot of tourist things, but I have been to Chicago before and if you get a chance take a boat tour of the river and lake. Chicago is truely a beautiful city!

I did not eat at the hotel, there is a market around the corner called Bockwinkel's. It is a great little grocery store that you can grab water, food, ice, etc. They have a deli counter that make fresh sandwiches, a salad bar and premade items also. We went there to get a styrofoam cooler, ice, and water. The Hyatt doesn't provide a small cooler, unless requested for a daily fee, so this ended up working out better. The store has very reasonable prices and I ended up grabing lunch there. I did grab a coffee one morning in the lobby of the hotel, it has a little counter with bagel, coffee and some other items to grab on the go but I found the coffee to be a bit expensive.

This hotel is huge and busy, there was also a conference there that weekend but I had not issues with crowds. There are plenty of elevators and again web check-in is the way to go. I have and would stay here again when I return to Chicago.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for choosing to stay at Hyatt Regency Chicago and for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. It's great to hear that our location near Lollapalooza downtown Chicago and our guestrooms suited your stay so well. We look forward to welcoming you and your friends back to the hotel again soon. Take care.
Southlake, Texas, United States
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I go out of my way to stay at Hyatts and HRC did not disapoint. Staff was polite, professional and friendly. They were very accommodating to us for our early arrival and our room was cleaned to the T every night.

I loved the views of the river from the West Tower. Regency Club staff was friendly and often fun.

Only thing I would change is to have the AC running a bit more during the day in RC to keep humidity down during rainy days.

We will go back!

Room Tip: West tower has seperate entrance which is easier getting in/out. Also West tower is where the Regen...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Thank you so very much for your loyalty to Hyatt and for taking the time to share your experience with us downtown Chicago on TripAdvisor. We are so pleased to see that you found our hotel staff to be so polite, professional and friendly. Looking forward to welcoming you back to Hyatt Regency Chicago.
San Jose, California
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I arrived about 1AM and was greeted by Jason Jones at the front desk. Jason immediately helped locate my Gold Passport information in the system and happily added the details to my two night reservation. Jason went on to offer me two room options, explaining the benefits of both in complete detail. Very pleased with my suite on the 25th floor with fantastic views. Thank you Jason!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
It is so lovely to hear that Jason was able to be of such great assistance during your stay. I will share your comments with his supervisor for much internal praise. Thank you for choosing to stay at Hyatt Regency Chicago and for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor. We are happy to welcome you as Gold Passport member and look forward to your return. Take care.
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I was unpleasantly surprised by this hotel. I expected the usual elegance and friendly staff of the Hyatt's I am used to, but was greeted with a rude concierge with attitude. I was also disappointed with the dirty glasses outside my room and the dust, dirt and nasty kleenex visible behind the desk. It wasn't worth the money and may have to consider the Hyatt brand in the future. Also the parking was $52 extra!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Paul_Daly_151, Resident Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, 16 August 2012
Thank you for staying with us earlier this month. Please accept our sincere apologies for the downfalls you mentioned in your review. If you would be so kind to contact us directly, we would greatly appreciate the chance to resolve the issues and invite you back for another, different, and most enjoyable visit.
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency Chicago this past weekend for a family function. The room was spacious and clean, and our view on to the Chicago River was lovely. We ate dinner in one of the ballrooms one evening, and the food was OK but not exceptional. The location was ideal, as it is in the heart of downtown Chicago.

We had a problem with our safe (apparently it needed new batteries) and had to call three times until it was resolved. The people in the room next door were talking in loud voices one night, but we did not know that we should have called Security to get it resolve.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank tpr244
Thank you for staying at Hyatt Regency Chicago for your family function and for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. I'm glad to see you were able to enjoy a view of the Chicago River from the comfort of your own hotel room and that our downtown Chicago location suited your stay so well. My apologies about the issue you encountered with your safe, but I am glad we were able to resolve the issues. In regards to the neighboring noise, upon your return I would be happy to personally help you find a room that would better suit your needs. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.
kentucky
Reviewed 13 August 2012

stayed at Hyatt on east wacker recently and had a great stay. Great hotel bar and very central location. Great view overlooking the river and Navy Pier. People were very nice to deal with. I have stayed in this hotel about four times and each time was a pleasant experience.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
JenniferKedinger, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Thank you for your loyalty and for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. We are pleased to read that you found Hyatt Regency Chicago to be such a great hotel bar and so centrally located. It's lovely to see that you were able to enjoy a view of the Chicago River and Navy Pier from the comfort of your hotel room. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.