“Great hotel, awesome people... I'm impressed!”

Hyatt Regency Chicago
Ranked #88 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 February 2013

This is a great hotel... but the staff is even better! I originally booked three nights in February for a birthday weekend in Chicago. However, due to the storm I arrived a day later than originally planned. Prior to this, I had interacted with the Hyatt on Facebook, asking for suggestions on dinner and nightlife ad they were very quick to respond with any questions that I had.

The SERVICE: We finally arrived at the hotel a day later, and while they were having renovations done, it was not an inconvenience at all. From the moment we walked through the doors, both Kevin and Michael at the front desk were warm and inviting and got us checked-in quickly. I was not expecting it, but we got a corner room on the 29th floor. When we walked into my room, there were some goodies and a hand written card from Sarah, the social ambassador welcoming us to the hotel after the delay and wishing me a happy birthday. It was truly a nice touch and instantly warmed me up after braving the cold outside. Throughout the weekend, every time we would run into hotel staff in the lobby, hallways or elevators, each and everyone one of them were super friendly and made you feel right at home. Even at check out, the kiosk was running a little slow and the front desk was quick to notice and made sure I didn't need any help.

THE ROOM: The room itself was decently sized and was recently renovated with a modern design. Both the room and the bathroom were very clean when I arrived. And the bed... oh the bed... so very comfortable. Had it just been a little colder outside, I probably would have been perfectly happy laying in the bed the whole weekend!

I'll definitely be back to Chicago and will stay at this hotel again if I'm given the choice! They certainly have great rooms, awesome people and certainly know their social media. As someone who is in the business industry, I'm always impressed by businesses that know how to use social media well to connect with their customers and the Hyatt Regency Chicago is one of them... "like" them on Facebook and check out their suggestions, they're useful and you might even get some goodies as well.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Patricia K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2013

Thank you for your recent review of Hyatt Regency Chicago on TripAdvisor! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay at our downtown Chicago and found our staff to be warm and inviting. Thank you for celebrating your birthday with us, we hope to see you again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (7,072)

Reviewed 28 February 2013

Scored a great deal bidding on Priceline. This is one of the biggest hotels I've ever stayed in with over 2,000 guest rooms. They are going through some renovations so some areas were closed off but you were able to maneuver around that. Check in was quick even though very busy, staff very friendly and they honored my requests. There are many resturants and shopping in walking distance. Getting to and finding the hotel was easy for my first time to Chicago. I flew into Midway Airport then taking the CTA Orange line train to downtown where the stop is a few blocks away from the hotel. For those flying into O'Hara I think there a Blue Line train also that takes you into Downtown Chicago just find the CTA website for more info.

Room Tip: For more security and privacy, plus less neighbor noise, I ask for a high floor without a connecting...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Patricia K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2013

Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Chicago on TripAdvisor! We are glad you enjoyed your first trip to Chicago and chose to stay at our downtown Chicago hotel! We hope to host you again soon in the Windy City!

Reviewed 27 February 2013

Let me start by saying the staff was excellent. They were kind and understanding when I asked for a different room after I listened to a blaring TV and crying baby for about 2 hours. But here's the problem. While I would have heard the blaring TV and crying baby in most hotels, all the rooms are paper thin, so no matter where you are, you hear everything not only in the room next to you, but perhaps even as far as two or three doors down. It makes it hard to get a good night's sleep. The great staff doesn't make up for it. It's even more unacceptable because they are just finishing a major renovation - a little sound proofing would have gone a really long way. It is a pretty hotel in a great location, super view, and the room was nice. So it had pluses that were undermined by the noise factor...

Room Tip: Get a corner room so that you have only one room next to you...
Reviewed 26 February 2013

Undergoing construction so temporary lobbies and extremely busy when i stayed, however rooms are well decorated location and room price good. Beware extras eg cost of bottled sports water in room $10.00+ really high.

2  Thank Marcangellos
Reviewed 26 February 2013

We just returned from a glorious stay at the Hyatt Regency Chicago for the second year in a row! I didn't think it was possible to top last year's stay but Hyatt Regency managed to impress our party of 6 all over again. The hotel is clean, well organized (even while undergoing renovations), the rooms are well appointed, clean, and comfortable with stunning city/river views. The staff is courteous, helpful, and knowledgable. We can't wait to head back to the Windy City - the Hyatt Regency will be the only place we rest our heads after busy days exploring the city.

Room Tip: There are no bad views at the Hyatt Regency
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 February 2013

We stay here each year as our convention bus picks up here every 10 minutes so it's mostly for convenience that we stay here. Not to say that this is a poor place to stay, it is a very nice hotel usually, but they are undergoing construction right now in the east wing and the west wing room that we stayed in needed a little refurbishing. Other than that, the room is clean, the rooms are quiet, service is very good. The bed probably could be updated and the room configuration was a little odd with the bed in the middle of the room.
If we didn't need the shuttle for the convention center, we would try other hotels more often which we have in the past as there are other nice hotels in this area also.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Chicago on TripAdvisor! We are happy that you chose to stay with us during your convention and found the shuttles to be convenient. Our lobby renovations will be complete in early April, we hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed 26 February 2013

I stayed here for a conference. The Hyatt was one of the hotels offering a special conference rate. I have stayed here in the past and had some minor issues with loud people in the corridors so I was a bit hesitant about staying here again. Unfortunately I should have stayed elsewhere and followed my intuition.
On the positive side, the rooms have been nicely renovated and the location is good. The room was clean when I checked in and more updated. The bathroom amenities have been changed and are much better. It used to be a white ginger scent (the soap, shampoo, conditioner and lotion) which for a guy was way too perfumy. They switched to a new product with very little scent. It was a welcome relief.
Since the hotel won't finish renovation until April of this year, there is only one check-in area for both hotel towers. It is very crowded, even though they are trying to keep up with the demand and flow of guests. The check-in area is in the West Tower. If you get a room in the East Tower, where the lobby is being renovated, it is a circuitous route to get there. Be prepared to wait a while for an elevator to take you up one floor to the skybridge, or take the stairs (which was good exercise).
On my first and my final nights of 5, I was awakened in the middle of the night by loud parties going in the room next to me. The first night was on one side. They ended up checking out the next day. Ear plugs took care of the noise. On my final night it was the room on the other side, at 4am. NOTHING could drown out the loud music an yelling from that one. In retrospect, I should have called the front desk to complain but I took it into my own hands to confront the inconsiderate guests (to put it nicely) myself, which was not the smartest idea.
Overall, this Hyatt is a good hotel. Just beware that since it is a conference hotel, it can be loud. They have posted signs in the hallways asking guests to observe the quiet time but obviously it was being ignored.
I am anxious to see the new lobby when it's renovated but I'd have concerns about staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the river