“Giant hotel, Newly Renovated but with Annoying Quirks”

Hyatt Regency Chicago
Ranked #89 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Penfield, New York
“Giant hotel, Newly Renovated but with Annoying Quirks”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

My impression of the Hyatt is one of confusion. The main things I seek in hotel accommodations are quiet and warmth. When I requested a quiet room upon check-in, one was granted and it delivered. Amazing quiet for the entire 5 days I was there. The room was lovely, and had a thermostat that I controlled so I was warm. Aside from the room, I encountered several things that were just annoying.

I was dropped off at the west tower because they are doing construction on the main entrance. One walks into the tower, and there is a tiny temporary check-in desk set up. Because the area is designed for conferences and guest flow, they have the line for check-in set up on the other side of stairs. So people coming in the doors walk to the check-in desk only to be directed across the room to stand in a line while guests constantly maneuver through the line to get to their destinations. Later in the day I walked across to the east tower and saw the real check-in area - a huge space, with no guests. It felt really poorly organized to have people checking in in an area not designed for it when they could direct folks over to the real guest check-in area.

The main lobby has undergone a massive renovation that leaves it feeling cold with no identity. The feeling one gets when in the lobby/restaurant/bar area is there is no warmth. As a guest, I was inundated with attempts by the hotel to be technologically cutting edge-computers, huge big screens, a sterile, white decor. It's loud-voices, the clanging of dishes, etc. echoes around this massive space. Off-putting.

On one morning, the hotel had a conference group set up in the crossover bridge from east to west towers doing their check-in. The bridge is designed for guest movement from tower to tower, and has a row of small tables next to the window. When they added tables for check in to this conference, the lines and noise from conference attendees completely enveloped the bridge making it difficult to maneuver and enjoy sitting at a table. It felt like a really dumb choice given the ridiculous expanse of space in this hotel.

I was at the hotel for a conference and found it astounding that there was no signage for my conference given the number of floors, escalators, tunnels, towers, etc. involved in making one's way around. I checked the tv as most hotels have an events channel, nothing. I saw many signs for many groups, but none for mine.

Don't plan to buy stamps here - four stamps (retailing at your local post office for $1.96) cost $2.99 in the gift shop. REALLY?? You don't make enough of a profit off the $3 granola bars and sodas??

The Market restaurant serves excellent food and has great servers. Sadly, they have an entire row of seats right up against the service station with only wooden slats as a barrier. I spent my lunch listening to clanging and crashing plates and silverware and the endless chatter of servers. The BIG BAR makes mediocre drinks at very big prices ($14 for a margarita). The saving grace of my trip was the coffee shop that serves Starbucks drinks, oatmeal, etc.

I left feeling like I'd been processed through this monstrosity of a hotel. Yes, the staff were helpful and friendly when approached but in a robotic way. The best experiences I had were with the young woman in charge of cleaning my room and the delightful room service delivery woman. I'm so glad I had my room to retreat to because the rest of the place is just overwhelming.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank robspetal
Patricia K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you for your recent review. I'm glad you found the hotel to deliver on your expectations of quiet and warmth, but sorry to learn of frustrations with conference check-in and noise. Let us know the next time you plan on traveling to Chicago- we'd love to welcome you back!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,380)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Kitchener
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

I attended a conference in Chicago recently at the Hyatt Regency in Chicago. The hotel overall is very nice, it is in a good location, the rooms are clean, the staff friendly. My room rate included internet which was fast and had no issues.

This hotel is huge, I believe it has over 1,600 rooms in two towers. Given the size, I found the elevators to be very efficient in moving people around, the rooms were clean, although you could hear people in the room next door.

The reason for the rating is the reservation system and the check out, it was a complete let down for what would otherwise be a very good stay. Numerous times I had to call in and go through the painful process of talking to a computer, only to finally get to someone who could either not find my group's rate or was not able to apply it for the period that I was informed it was available. In the end I got my event co-ordinator to sort it out and I received an apology call from the hotel... All good, I had a reservation with the rate on it... After staying in the hotel, I go to check out and the rate on the bill is not the same as the reservation... The check out person I was dealing with was very polite and said well that's the rate we've now got but I see your reservation has a lower rate, he then asked if it was ok with me if we just left the higher rate and that I go through my event services staff to get it sorted out... I indicated that I preferred that they honoured the rate on the reservation and he made a call and all was fixed. A few other people in my group experienced the same problem. I was really disappointed by this and it really tainted my impression of what I would otherwise rate as a very good hotel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Randy T, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you for your review and for bringing this accounting matter to our attention. We will make sure we address with our staff so this doesn't happen in the future. I hope we are able to welcome you back soon.
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my wife for her birthday for a few nights recently. Had a beautiful view of the river, the bed was very comfortable, and the staff was beyond accommodating. My wife and I will definitely be back. Thank you especially to Zumba who made our breakfast experience enjoyable and all the bartenders outside American Kraft. You all are very good at what you do. Cheers.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, United States
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Great vibe, fancy setting, nice bar, near downtown. Staff was courteous and did everything possible so that all of the people in our party were taken care of. This place is so close to downtown!!! I loved every second I was there.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Let me preface... I like good service and I expect it at a multi-star hotel. The valet, conceirge, bellhop staff were attentive- helpful and genuinely pleasant. The front desk, waitstaff, and floor staff seemed vaguely dissinterested, a little "too cool". The main vibe at the Hyatt is like a bar at an airport, and it looks like an airport lobby as well. Poorly marked paths to reception, a chaotic entrance, and way too much "club music" at the curb. Lots of bars inside. Maybe the perfect place for young single people looking for a good time. If you aren't 20 and sex-starved, you can enjoy other pleasures, such as the relatively quiet rooms, comfy beds, great views, and easy walking distance to attractions. The club floor has excellent food, including grilled veggies, but is a bit understaffed. During our visit it was filled with single young men that oggled my teenage daughter while talking about the girls from the night before. Apparently they were oblivious as to why they are still single. Back to the hotel...A little to modernly cold for my taste, and without outstanding service, but rooms are well appointed and location is great.

Room Tip: There are views from the hallway ends, you don't have to upgrade to a room with a view.
Green Features: Smoke free was good. The club floor was quieter than I expected. Top floors have amazing views.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank yogitravelmama
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I was surprised upon checking in to be asked my preference of tower even though I had booked on hotwire. We were put in the west tower, and from the room I had a great view of the Aqua tower, and a part of the river.
It seemed a bit average but little things set it apart: Very comfy beds and pillows. Cute furniture. Excellent black out curtains. Any staff I spoke to addressed me by "Ms," and pronounced my last name correctly.
I didn't have any problems with the elevators from the 11th floor. I would stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Patricia K, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. We’re glad you enjoyed your stay at the recently renovated Hyatt Regency Chicago. We are very proud of our property and associates and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Philadelphia
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Really, I have no complains. Everything was excellent. One of the best hotels that I've been. The only minor is that maybe the carpet wasn't so clean at all. Overall, a modern hotel with a fancy swipe locked security.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. We’re glad you enjoyed your stay at Hyatt Regency Chicago. We are very proud of our property. Please visit us again!