“No complaints!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto
“No complaints!”
Reviewed 4 May 2009

Good location, clean, friendly and helpful staff.
When my boyfriend and I first arrived at the hotel, the size of the hotel lobby and the crowds seemed a bit overwhelming. However, we quickly figured out where we needed to go, checked in using the automatic machines (you can check in with staff also) and were in our room within minutes. We booked on priceline and managed to get $65 a night for our room! We got no special views from our standard room, and the room lacked wi-fi, but we thought it was a fantastic deal given the location and reputation of the Hyatt.

p.s. if you stay at this hotel, you can park at the Millenium Park garage for $14 per 12 hour period (MUCH cheaper than what the Hyatt charges)

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank desouc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,368)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Washington
Reviewed 4 May 2009

I stayed at this hotel because it was the host hotel for my meeting. This hotel is very large with the usual chic Hyatt look. I arrived mid-morning and was pleased to have a room ready for me before regular check-in time. There are many floors of the hotel, so it can take a while to get to your floor because of other people's stops on the elevator. The inside of the room was pretty spacious and sleekly decorated. The desk space was very nice, and the tv was larger than usual.

This hotel is very conducive to fitness. There are lots of walkable places blocks away from the hotel, but the gym is awesome with built-in tv screens on the cardio equipment. Perhaps the best thing, though, is the Lakeshore Path that's just a few blocks away from the hotel. There are 18 miles of beautiful scenery, and you can get a very detailed map from the concierge with directions to get to the path.

As others have said, you have to pay for internet access here, which is a huge hassle, but there are stations where you can print your boarding pass, which is helpful. The line to speak to someone at the concierge desk can get long, but they are pretty knowledgeable about stuff. I used a kiosk in the lobby to checkout, but the kiosk computers were rather slow, so I don't think it was necessarily faster than checking out with the lobby staff.

Aside from the internet issue, I was very pleased with the quality of this hotel and would stay here again for another conference.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank interviewtraveler
Houston
Reviewed 1 May 2009

We stayed on the 'Regency Level" of this hotel and I would NEVER stay at this location again. It was dirty and dangerous. After checking into the hotel, we proceed to our room on the 34 floor via their elevators. While trying to get on the #4 elevator the doors started to close on my young child. The doors DID NOT retract and the right door went over my child's croc shoe leaving him stuck!! My husband had to push on the doors to prevent them from closing on my son! I can't even imagine what would have happened to my child if my husband had not been there as well b/c the other hotel guest present just kept on walking by. I immediately notified the front desk. They sent a manager and a security person to our room to take a statement. They offered an apology. They did not close the elevator or take other precautions from what I observed. Later that day, they did close another elevator in the same tower because the doors were stuck. Elevator issues are obviously an ongoing issue for this hotel.
Now to describe the room, DUSTY and DIRTY. There was so much dust in the room that it was starting to fall over the top of objects that had never been dusted. The bathroom had splatters of stuff on the walls and the mechanisms on the tub were falling off. The decor of the room was very odd. Over each bed were 2 large metal crane like lights that reminded me of something that would be in a doctor's examining room. The chairs were well worn. In the lobby, the chairs and sofas were torn.
I would not stay here again. It is not child friendly. The lobby is loud; televsions, music, open dining, etc. Just too much.
There are a lot of great hotels in Chicago. However, this is NOT one of them!!!

Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank mytwobuckaroos
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 1 May 2009

Hyatt Regency Chicago (151 East Wacker Drive)

The Hyatt Regency is a 4 star hotel ideally located for tourists on the Chicago River between the Loop and the Magnificent Mile (north Michigan Avenue). It is within a few blocks of the elevated trains serving ORD and MDW, and is one block from several CTA bus stops. (The CTA transit passes and route map are great for tourists, and even include airport trains).

The rooms are nicely decorated and the bedding is top quality. The bathroom is efficient. Even numbers above 16 in the west tower should give you a nice view of the river.

What makes this hotel outstanding is the staff -- the best trained I have encountered anywhere, even better than at most 5 star hotels. First impressions are important, and the staff makes sure that one feels welcome from the moment one arrives.

Granted the check-in may be scripted, but it is so pleasant that four weeks and two international trips later, I still remember the names of our receptionists (I booked several rooms as a gift for my wife and her girlfriends for a five day shopping and sightseeing trip, and our check-in was flawless).

There are only two caveats when staying at this hotel:

First, the climate control may be a problem. Most of our rooms were comfortable, but mine (on a separate floor) was quite chilly. When turned up, my thermostat made noise but no heat. Bring an indoor sweater or jacket in cool seasons.

Second, the hotel’s surcharges are unnecessarily high. For example, including taxes, parking is $50 per night (double the city parking rate at the nearby Randolph Street Millennium Park underground garage, and some guests even park at the airports or in the suburbs and take the train into the city); there is a $25 per night fee if you put any personal items in the mini-fridge; and internet usage is $15 per day extra.

To me these rates seem hostile, and undo much of the good will the staff creates. However, any savvy traveler can avoid them. For example, Bockwinkel’s grocery is only half a block south of the hotel (on the street between the hotel’s two towers). There one can purchase an entire hot rotisserie chicken, a baguette, fresh fruit, and a bottle of basic wine for less than the Hyatt charges for two glasses of its ordinary house wine ($10 each).

Perhaps the best part of our stay was the price. Because the hotel has a huge inventory of rooms, we were able to obtain a rate of $60 per room per night (plus taxes and fees) through bidding on Priceline. That rate makes this Chicago’s best hotel deal ever.

Enjoy the Hyatt Regency Chicago, but watch out for those surcharges.

Happy and safe travel!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
7 Thank efsch
New York
Reviewed 22 April 2009

Our quick one-night stay at the Hyatt Regency in Chicago's loop was perhaps one of the best hotel experiences that I've had for leisure.

My boyfriend and I checked in late in the evening, around 10:30PM and learned that a special room had been reserved for us. (Recently, I received Platinum membership status in their Gold Passport rewards program). The manager came out to personally greet us and shook my hand. They had satisfied my request of getting a Regency Club room on a high floor, near an elevator. Better yet, the view was FANTASTIC. I believe it to be the best view this hotel would have of the river and Michigan Lake.

The room itself was spacious and clean. The layout was also unique in the sense that the bed was in the middle of the room and the "office" desk space was behind it. It felt modern, but homey. I also happen to very much appreciate the Bose iPod desk player / clock as I like to plug in my music wherever I travel. The king-sized bed was a bit too comfortable- it was difficult for us to leave it.

Since we had a Regency Club room, it came with a complimentary breakfast (among other beverages/snacks throughout the day). After relaxing a bit with fresh fruit and pastries, we asked the club concierge about where to buy men's shoes. The gentleman was very helpful and provided a thoughtful recommendation, which saved us a LOT of time. Later, the concierge at the front desk also was helpful in recommending a good barber shop for my boyfriend as well.

Lastly, they also had the most delicious Grilled Cheese sandwich in their late night room service menu. :-)

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank inahalfshell
badmaru
Reviewed 22 April 2009

I had read some mixed reviews about this hotel on TripAdvisor, so I was concerned about the hotel room itself, however, I wasn't too disappointed. I was more disappointed in the LACK of service the front desk had. There are automated check in kiosks, which is a nice touch. These kiosks should not, however, replace humans, especially if a guest has questions. For a 4-star hotel, I really expected better customer service. I have had better service from a Holiday Inn Express. I guess that's what happens when you book a hotel from priceline. (However, I've had great service with some of the other hotels I've booked through priceline.)

In any case, there are 2 towers to this hotel. The main check-in area is on the 2nd floor in the East tower. When you first enter the lobby area in the East tower, there's an area with nice couches and behind that is a nice water fountain theme. The 2nd floor has the bell desk, check-in, and concierge. If you have a room in the West Tower, there's a bridge to the right of the check in area.

On the first floor of the East tower, there's a gift shop and a coffee/express shop for coffee, breakfast food, and snacks. If you want to pay less for water or what not, there's a grocery store behind the hotel. You go out the doors next to the cyber cafe diagonal from J's Express and take a left. It's a quick walk.

There are multiple restaurants and bars within the hotel, so getting food is not difficult. I can't comment on the food since I didn't go to any of the restaurants. There are a lot of good restaurants in Chicago, so I say venture out. Ou Sy Sushi is a good place not too far.

The room itself was okay. The hotel does a pretty accurate description and other travelers have taken many pictures, so I didn't do that. There's a fridge in the room, but you can't remove any of the items. The hotel will charge you if you move the items off their sensors in the fridge.

Their bath products are made by Portico Spa. The soap is very drying. The shampoo and conditioner are okay.

The location of the hotel isn't bad. It's in between the Museum Campus and the major shops on the Magnificent Mile. If you want to head up to say Water Tower, you walk towards Michigan Ave and Wacker Drive and take the 151 bus north and it will take you to the shopping areas.

If you can stay at this hotel for a really cheap price, then I would say it's not too bad as long as you are okay with having very little help from the front desk. The rest of the staff I have encountered were great!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank badmaru
chicago
Reviewed 21 April 2009

Excellent hotel, great staff, clean rooms, very polite and efficient front desk and bell team i was very impressed....will be back again and will tell all my friends

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family