“Soulless, busy hotel, just about accceptable - in 1979”

Hyatt Regency Chicago
Ranked #83 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
United Kingdom
“Soulless, busy hotel, just about accceptable - in 1979”
Reviewed 21 May 2009

Here for a conference, work paying the bill. Yet another soulless, frayed large American city-centre hotel. Rooms comfortable enough but all the usual problems, namely long queues at front desk, charming but often clueless staff, and an annoying, sprawling layout which means that if you forget something in your room popping back to get it is a major chore. The gym, a miserable affair, is so far from the rooms it might as well be in another state, and one lunchtime it took half an hour to get a table for food (even though there were plenty of free ones available). That said, the location is pretty good, Stetson's Restaurant is actually pretty good and room rates are quite reasonable. But no one here is trying really hard.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,355)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 May 2009

Pros: service was amazing! Traveled with some colleagues and we checked in at different times, but they managed to get us in rooms fairly close together. Location was great, close to everything that we needed.
Cons: rooms were nothing special. They were clean and my room was spacious, but fairly standard.
If I hadn't booked through Priceline and gotten a fantastic rate, I think I would have been disappointed, but given the rate I paid, I was very happy.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 19 May 2009

Hotel's staff was friendly. Iron in the room was not working and upon multiple requests staff at the front desk did not replace it and eventually in the morning I call guest services who then took care of it. I was very disappointed with this quality of service from a hotel of this class and reputation. Guest services did not even offer to compensate for the inconvenience caused and did not even follow up on what actually caused the delay in replacing the iron(she did apologize to begin with for the inconvenience and said would try to find out what caused the delay). Overall we were satisfied and happy with our stay.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
Chicago
Reviewed 16 May 2009

We stayed at Hyatt Regency during Mother's day weekend with family. We had 5 rooms and the room was smelling like smoke, rooms were clean. Bed was horrible, mattress was probably old. we asked for king size bed and surprised to a twin bed on all our rooms. These were supposed to be all non smoking but we smelled second hand smoke as if room's were converted. I don't recommend staying the west wing.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ak3130
Washington, DC
Reviewed 11 May 2009

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Chicago hotel in May 2009. I had read the hundreds of reviews on this site and was 'scared' of what I would find. As with any hotel, some people love it and some people hate it. I was there for a conference and work payed the full bill.
First off, the hotel is enormous. Two big towers with a massive atrium for a lobby. The rooms are completely removed from the lobby, so there was no noise in the bedroom from the atrium. For check-in, I only had to wait for 2 people ahead of me to complete their check-ins. (Approx 3 minutes). I had a 5th floor room, so never experienced any long elevator rides. My room was not one of the ones right at the elevator lobby, so it was dead silent.
The room was great, big tv, soft bed, nice desk/workspace area.
My only real complaints are 1) the bathroom lighting. (So very dark, just 1 weak flourescent bulb.) 2) the thin walls (I've stayed in a lot of hotels for work, this one was odd, I could hear conversations .... and other sounds, yep, those ones, ... so clearly. Usually you can make out mumbles, etc. ... but in this one I could hear full sentences at normal volume. Odd!
But all said, I loved the hotel and especially its location. It's so close to everything. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat!!!!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
Bay Area, CA
Reviewed 9 May 2009

Pros:
+ Good location -- close to the major sites, transit, shopping, restaurants, etc.
+ Nice staff -- they are nice to you, although the "job" isn't really getting done (see below)

Cons:
- Dirty room -- The standard of cleanliness we experienced was very low: random hair bunches in the bathroom floor corners, spots and stains on the walls, marks of some kind on the pillow, etc.
- More disgusting stuff -- The baby blanket they provided with the crib smelled of urine. It was clear that it had not been laundered since the last child used it and urinated on it. The baby crib sheets also smelled of urine, so we got replacements. We disinfected the urine-stained baby crib mattress ourselves.
- No hot water in our room -- We complained. A nice, helpful guy from "engineering' came by and fixed it....for the night. By the next morning there was no hot water again. We had to run the water for 15 minutes for hot water to come through.
- Mini-fridge didn't work -- They were nice enough to give a complimentary mini-fridge since we had a baby. Unfortunately it didn't cool very well; probably not lower than 50F, which isn't good enough for storing milk. I asked for a replacement mini-fridge but didn't let them take away the first because -- based on my experience thus far in the hotel -- I doubted the second one would work. Of course, the second one didn't work at all. Good thing we kept the semi-working first one.
- Dilapidated facilities and room -- Regarding the sorry state of the hotel's facilities shown in other reviewers' photos, we experienced this too.

There isn't a lot of care in this hotel, and it really shows. The hotel is aware of all of the problems -- the front desk fielded all of our complaints. However, they never did anything to compensate for them. They said they would 'take care of it right away' but any attempt to 'fix' an issue didn't work -- replacing one broken fridge with another broken fridge isn't helpful. Neither is fixing the hot water for just one night. I don't understand why the Hyatt would allow their brand to be associated with this hotel. Are they repositioning the brand to be a 2-star class?

We got the room for a bid of $57/night on a well-known bidding site, but after all the issues I wouldn't consider this much of a "deal". If you can afford to stay at another hotel, I would strongly recommend that you do so. I wouldn't even stay here if I were attending a conference in this hotel. The Swissotel is connected by underground passageway; the Hotel Monaco and The Fairmont are close by. There are many hotels within walking distance that would be better places to stay. I won't bid on a 4* hotel in the Loop area on that bidding site, given my experience here. It's just not worth the risk of getting this hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank PassportPhilatelist
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2009

Stayed in a Junior Suite which was beautiful and spacious. It had the largest flat screen tv I have ever seen in a hotel (great excuse to catch up on some movies) The breakfast buffet was great and was served in the hotels huge atrium which was nice. The service was top notch. Stayed in a lower floor in the East tower which was great as there was no waits for an elevator and they were always empty. The Shed aquarium was a complete waste of time and money but the Field musium was amazing. Chicago remains tied with London as my favourite city.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo