“Not impressed at all”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Canada
“Not impressed at all”
Reviewed 6 June 2009

I visited Chicago in May 2009 and stayed at this hotel for a few nights.
I expected a great service, excellent maintenance, and comfort from the hotel of this calibre but found the room service to be just okay.

We only ordered breakfast from the hotel once but the prices were not worth it. The buffet breakfast just outside the hotel gave us an extensive menu for half the price.

We noticed that they had not changed our bedsheets after our first night... they did after the second night but made us apprehensive whether they would or not for the remaining nights. My friend and I were surprised that they did not use plastic bags for either the washroom waste basket or the one in the room... that is simply unhygienic.

The room was comfortable but the tv had some issues. The thermostat was also not very efficient and we had to keep making it cooler. The washroom needed upgrading and the mirror had permanent stains on it. We could also hear people walking thru the halls which made the room feel less private. There was a convention going on in the hotel as well and it was overtly crowded and noisy, whether the downstairs lobby or the inside restaurants. There was always a long line-up for everything.

If it were not the discount i was getting, I would not have stayed here. On the plus side, we had an excellent view of the Lake Michigan from our windows but most hotels in the area can provide that. The place is very expensive for the service I got and internet prices were also very high (?28 i think vs. Boing $6).

A tip on local attractions:
Although I advise using the local transportation for sightseeing and getting to and from the airport, the bus service staff is not as good as one would expect from a tourist city. I used the cab service for nearby areas and it turned out to be much less painful. Make sure you do some research in regards to the public transportation before hand. The hotel is too far from everything so be prepared to walk a lot from here to any of the locations.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,367)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Southeast
Reviewed 31 May 2009

Huge, busy downtown hotel that is a hopping place. Clean, double bed room. Rather standard, but no problems. Everything in good working order. Bathrooms are especially pretty. Walking to Museum, Mag Mile, too far. Buffet brunch is fabulous. And their upstairs bar appeared to be a fun happening spot. Staff all over hotel very professional. Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
USA
Reviewed 29 May 2009

Great Location - walking distance to: Magnificent Mile, Millennium Park, Art Institute, State Street stores.

Friendly staff - when we got to the hotel, we were readily directed to the reception area for check-in. Check-in was a breeze.

Our room was spacious and clean.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
New York, NY
Reviewed 26 May 2009

Came for a conference and stayed a couple extra nights for some fun in the Windy City. Conference was at the Hyatt and we had considered staying elsewhere for the fun part, but decided it would be too much of a hassle. Glad we didn't. The room was a good size with a seating area, desk area, and large (40") flat screen. The hotel was always hopping... 24 hour coffee/snack stand downstairs for late night munchies. Make sure to ask for a room in the main building, not the West Tower, though.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
Toronto
Reviewed 24 May 2009

To start with, I would like to put a disclaimer that we paid $99/night from a special with Travelzoo that included breakfast vouchers for myself and my wife, so a lot of my opinions are based on that.

We arrived on Tuesday afternoon around 2:30 and checked in very quickly. My first impression was that I found the hotel to be huge, but it was pretty empty. I liked the atrium design with the waterfalls and the garden.

The room itself was very good size. We had a king size bed and more then ample room to stretch out. There was even a fridge which we could use to store out water and beers.

We asked the concierge for assistance in getting tickets to 'The Blue Man Group', and they ended up finding us 50% off tickets through Hot Tix, which was a great score. In general, they were very helpful.

My only one negative comment would be the Housekeeping. One day they did not clean our room, even though we clearly had the 'Clean Our Room' sign on the door. However, that was manageable if we got a couple of bath towels. So I called down to Housekeeping and they stated they would send them up. We had dinner reservations which is why there was a little more urgency in obtaining the towels. I ended up having to call 3 times and waited 50 minutes before they finally arrived. It wasn't the end of the world, but it did put me off for awhile.

Overall, I loved the location of this hotel and the friendliness of the staff we encountered. We had breakfast in the restaurant 3 of 4 days and found very good. For the price we paid this was an absolute steal of a deal. If we paid twice as much I would still say it's a great hotel and I definitely recommend it to anyone. If I had to pay 3x as much, then I would say it may be a little to pricey.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2009

I am stunned that this hotel is rated as four stars on Trip Advisor. Simply because a hotel charges an arm and a leg for a room does not make it four stars. I stayed here for two nights, not because of my decision but those who were traveling with me. To start, we spent 45 minutes in the lobby waiting to check in. The lobby is a very expansive atrium that reminds me of an airport ticketing hall. Guests were corralled through roped lines to check in at one of 3 open stations out of about 20 that were at the desk. The room is loud and packed with people - not a good way to start a "relaxing" trip.

We stayed in the West tower. I cannot complain about the room, but also don't have anything great to say about it. It was about the size one would expect in a Chicago hotel, but I have seen better quality of furniture and materials in a HI Express. For the price you can do much better in the city.

I had no issues during my stay until leaving. We called ahead to have our car (which was parked valet) brought around to the front. We were told it would be about 20 minutes. This was fine, as I understand they have a lot of people in the hotel and a lot of cars to move. However, after going downstairs 20 minutes later and not finding our car we were a bit miffed. We asked the valet if it was coming and he said yes, they were just behind. After waiting another 20 minutes we asked again and he had no record of the car being requested. They managed to get the car about 15 minutes later - more than an hour after being initially called.

I think the valet service speaks to a lack of staffing at an enormous hotel (biggest in Chicago). If you are looking for a hotel where you feel like herded cattle - this is it. If you want a relaxing trip I would suggest looking elsewhere. Probably somewhere smaller.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
LAFAYETTE
Reviewed 21 May 2009

My husband and I went to Chicago for meetings with his company. The Hyatt was great and had a wonderful staff. I enjoyed my trip and would go back again.
I was not crazy about the view but this is by the airport. Our room was at the end so we were not disturbed by other guest in the hall.
Our hostess in the Regency Club was fantastic.
Wish it had an indoor pool.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business