“I Expected MUCH More From A Hyatt”

Hyatt Regency Chicago
Ranked #89 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Texas
“I Expected MUCH More From A Hyatt”
Reviewed 26 November 2009

We got this room for a great rate, but we still expected a standard four-to-five star Hyatt experience. Yes, it enjoys a great location, but the facility has to be twenty-five years old, and while there have been some facelifts given, it's still pretty shabby.

Here are the lowlights:

Got to the room and noticed that there was some black stuff in the caulking around the tub. (See photos). I mentioned it to the front desk staffer, who apologized profusely. She said the housekeeping manager would get right on it while we were out at dinner.

We got back from dinner and...still had the black stuff in the tub. So, the next morning, I brought it to the attention of the new front desk staffer on duty, and she, too, apologized profusely. (Using almost identical wording as the first woman. As if there were a script she was following...) We asked her to have the housekeeping team address it while we were out at breakfast, so that we could have a clean tub for the rest of our stay.

Shockingly, there was no change in our tub after breakfast. Went back to the counter, spoke with the same staffer from earlier in the morning. She asked if we'd like to move to a new room, which, while inconvenient, sounded like a good idea.

To her credit, she did offer to give us some sort of freebie for our trouble. But since I didn't need free internet or food vouchers, there was apparently nothing else she could offer me. I asked if they could comp my $48 parking bill (yes, that's a daily rate!) Sorry, no dice.

So, we went to look at the new room. Unfortunately it had gunk in the tub too! (See photo.)

What's
This
Foolishness?

Making matters worse, when we returned from breakfast, we found that our sheets actually had multiple rips and tears in them! It was impossible to miss them, which tells me that the housekeeping staff either didn't care or wasn't given the guidance that, you know, ripped sheets don't really enhance the Hyatt brand.

So, I pulled the ripped sheets off the bed and went back to the front desk. We told the desk agent we'd stay in our original room since the new one wasn't much better. (I think the sarcasm was lost on him.) Once again, profuse apologies, housekeeping manager will be calling you, putting our best people on it, yadda yadda.

We have two more nights here. It will be interesting to see how this plays out....

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank SoFlo3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,380)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Fort Erie, Canada
Reviewed 24 November 2009

Very impressed by the hotel. It was like a mini-mall. Parking was nearby (hotel parking was a ripoff though, charging $50 per night just to park). Good value (name your own price on Priceline), got the hotel for like $60 US. Rooms were nice, and staff was friendly. Lot of people though around the main foyer. Kind of far from popular Chicago attractions.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Angola, NY
Reviewed 20 November 2009

Staff and service were excellent from directions to room service. Ultra clean rooms, food was wonderful. Perfect walking distince to Mile shopping and most sights. Loved everything about this hotel.
If you want class stay at the Hyatt Regency

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
Warren, MI
Reviewed 19 November 2009

Check is was fast and professional. We were assigned a corner room with a great view of the river and some downtown landmarks.

The room itself was spotless and totally updated although on the small side. The carpet was new, the bed was comfortable and the high definition flat screen was top notch as well.

The marble shower and vanity were quite nice. The water pressure was very good and hot water plentiful. Considering the size of the room itself the bathroom was quite large.

This Hyatt is a huge property that gets it right both with their rooms and service.

West Lafayette Indiana
Reviewed 19 November 2009

They Hyatt Regency is a huge hotel - the layout is confusing at first as there are two towers and you have to go back and forth between. The location is excellent - just next to the Chicago River, very close to Lake Michigan and right off Michigan Avenue for shopping and dining. The staff at the hotel were uniformly polite, friendly and helpful. I had a very small room, though it overlooked the river so the view was great. The items that make me give this hotel a 4 rating instead of 5 are the following: relatively limited room service menu - with almost no vegetarian items; very poor lighting in the room (energy efficient fluorescent bulbs in 3 tiny lamps - so dark I could not see to open the combination luggage lock I have); pretty limited television channel lineup on the in-room tv. There is a nice little coffee and food stand downstairs in the atrium area that sells more than just pastry for breakfast (fruit, cereal, snacks, even ice cream) so it's easy to get some food while avoiding a restaurant. Overall this is a very nice hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank cateyesinthemoon
St. Louis
Reviewed 16 November 2009

We booked this hotel through Priceline for $59 a night but would have found it a good value at twice that when location and amenities are considered. I have infrequently been given inferior room when booking with Priceline. (My price was about 1/3 the going Internet rate.) So when checking in I often state, I realize there is probably not much you can do because this is a Priceline room. The desk person's reply to that comment was "who says so?"

She then gave us a nice room with a great view on the 31st floor looking out on the Chicago river and lake Michigan. I tipped her $10 and she was very appreciative as was I! I would absolutely stay here again but the $48 valet parking fee is not good and there are other parking options nearby that I would explore.

(I was told that Hyatt has allocated money to this property for room renovations and that work is underway. While our room hadn't been newly remodeled it was certainly a very nice room with a large Plasma tv. )

Illinois
Reviewed 14 November 2009

My wife and I booked a one-night stay at this hotel via Priceline. We got the room for $60 dollars so it would be hard to complain about the price. The hotel itself is enormous and attached to a convention center. The check-in was quick and efficient. The lobby is nice although it definitely has the feeling of an airport terminal. There are something like 2000 rooms in this hotel and the lobby reflects that type of activity. Our room was actually very nice and what I felt it was exceptionally clean and well appointed. The bathroom was slightly dated, but overall we were satisified with the room. The location of this hotel is perfect for anyone visiting Chicago. The hotel is just a block aways from Michigan avenue and very close to many shops and restraunts. The hotel bars were nice. We found the food at the breakfast buffet to be good, but not quite worth the $22.00 fee for the buffet. Skip the buffet and walk around the corner to a local resterant.

I would definitely consider staying here again assuming I was getting a discounted rate on priceline. I would never consider staying at this hotel if I was going to be paying the full rate as their are much nicer hotels in the area for the same price in the area.