“Wonderful service and a good proximity to the happenings”

Hyatt Regency Chicago
Ranked #89 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 27 October 2010

Snagged a room at a really good price. Didn't need a fancy room, as the intent of the stay was to be out and about in Chicago. Room was clean, modern, and had a nice bathroom. Loved the proximity to Millennium Park and the shopping on Michigan Avenue. Tons of food and nightlife options within walking distance. Every single staff member that I came into contact with was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (7,075)

Reviewed 27 October 2010

Stayed here for 4 nights. Good location, near to the Mag. Mile. Very large hotel with typical service (both good and bad) that you would expect. Long wait for check-in - the three people on the desk kept disappearing for long periods behind a screen! Lady on the Concierge was not very friendly (as I see others have noted), and looked surprised that I wanted to know how to get to the Art Institute. Worst thing was the sound insulation in the rooms. I had two connecting doors, and could hear everything from next door -conversations, toilet, television - well, I mean everything! Had to sleep with ear plugs in! When will hotels learn that, if they have rooms with connecting doors, these should at least be insulated properly when not in use eg with padding or a sound-proof cover. I paid almost $300 per night, but it was like staying in a 1 star motel. No chance to move room as the hotel was completely full. Apart from that it was OK - but the maid did keep knocking on the door, despite the fact that I had a Do not Disturb card on the door! Also, the soap in the shower gave me a rash!
I think there are better hotels in Chicago for these prices.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 October 2010

I've stayed at this Hyatt several times before. It's a giant hotel as other posters have mentioned. That didn't bother me, but sometimes there is a wait for the elevators, especially if you are on a high floor. Rooms are good quality - not great overhead lighting but that's not a major dealbreaker for me. Beds are very plush and comfortable. For some reason, I can't stand the smell of the toiletries here so I bring my own. I've used the gym here and it gets busy in the morning rush hours but otherwise it's very well equipped. Haven't eaten in any of the restaurants as this hotel is centrally located so there are always many opportunities to eat in one Chicago's great places. If you are looking for a quick inexpensive breakfast or lunch I suggest the Corner Bakery a few blocks down the street.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 October 2010

Booked my hotel since we have a convention being held here. When I went to check in the guy at the front desk said he had a deal for me. So I listened. They were over booked and he was asking if I would be willing to move to a hotel down the street for the night, free of charge. So I moved to a different hotel for 1 night. The next day I came back to the hotel to check in, and my room wasn't ready. They held my baggage and I went to my convention. I figured they would compensate me some how. Nicer room maybe. When I checked into my room I would never imagined the room I received. I had a full kitchen, living room, seperate bedroom, 2 bathrooms. It was fantastic! The hotel was clean, the staff was nice. Although I was inconvenienced by switching hotels, they made it worth the switch. I did have a view of the river which was nice, but it also overlooked busy Wacker drive. The noise was pretty quiet for being in the heart of the city. Great Hotel!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 October 2010

Actually it's what 4 Ben Franklins did for me through priceline.com. Stayed 4 nights here this past weekend. Came into Midway, took the Orange L to State & Lake then about a 10 minute walk to the Hyatt. Found out there are pedways everywhere that go to/from the Hyatt. Had a 4th floor room in the West Tower. Offered us a 1 bed suite with a rollaway with great view of the city for the same price but we opted for the 2 Queen room. Amazed at how quiet the room was. Beds were particularly comfy & whole family slept well. Everything was clean, bathroom was large, shower was super, maid service was prompt & we checked out in 2 minutes at 5:15AM at a kiosk with our credit card. Didn't take advantage of all the amenities in order to experience the downtown areas because the location is great to experience the Loop, Magnificent Mile & Riverwalk. Two cons - why must you be charged for room internet & to use the mini-fridge? C'mon Hyatt, roll that into the room prices. Even Motel 6 doesn't charge extra for that. Even so, I'd definitely stay there in the future & would recommend it to others for sure.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 October 2010

Typical Hyatt for a city. Lobby is pretty nice with the waterscape. This hotel is big, almost Vegas big, with many signs directing you where to go. The size didn't bother me in the least. Check-in was fast and they gave us our room, in the remodeled NW tower, well ahead of normal check-in time. We were even offered free late check-out. Our room was good, but nothing special. The minibar is as one would expect, overpriced. In fact, they don't even let you put medicine or leftover pizza in there without a surcharge. We always buy water outside of the hotel, and there are lots of stores right around to do so. At check-out we were billed for a minibar item we didn't take, but the desk quickly fixed the issue. The moral is, be sure to read your folio before leaving.

As others stated, this hotel is very conveniently located. Easy 15 minute walk to/from "El" train. Take the blue line train from O'Hare for $4.50 round trip, and avoid traffic. We walked to most major tourist attractions including SkyDeck, John Hancock, Navy Pier, etc. If you walk 2 blocks down Wacker there is a place called Corner Bakery, if you just want coffee and a bagel, or a pastry. There are many nice restaurants in walking distance, as well, so we didn't eat at any of the hotel's dining venues. The BIG bar is pretty cool for drinks; bit of a scene at times.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank VacationDude
Reviewed 26 October 2010

This Hotel is really conveniently located in Chicago and is a 10 minute walk to many destinations, as well as very close to the L. Furthermore, I booked it through hotwire.com, and got a GREAT rate ($99 per night for 2 people w/ a king bed). It was clean, the room was really nice, and overall we had a lovely experience. Note, this hotel seemed more for a business crowd than for a romantic weekend getaway, but for what we paid and for our purpose (it wasn't a honeymoon, it was just a weekend trip), it was a great buy! Did I mention how clean it was? It was really clean.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple