“Perfect For Staying During a Convention”

Hyatt Regency McCormick Place
Ranked #76 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Given the location of this hotel, I would recommend it to those who need quick access to McCormick Place or who have a car. To get to the best restaurants and shopping requires either a lot of walking, a cab ride or a slow bus ride. That being said, the service at the hotel was great. The rooms were clean and had functional appliances (which is more than I can say for some hotels), the air conditioner wasn't too loud and there weren't any weird smells. So the hotel itself is nice and great if you have a car or some form of transportation.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
LizJaquez, Reservations Manager at Hyatt Regency McCormick Place, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Dear Annagins,

Thank you for visiting us all the way from Texas! I'm happy we were able to provide you with a 5-star stay even if you were not as pleased with the location. The city is working on expanding an "el" to include a stop at McCormick Place to help those of you who vacation without a vehicle. I hope you and your family will keep us in mind for future visits to Chicago!

Reservations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,771)

Reviewed 31 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed here July 29. Got online deal for 70 plus tax. Clean hotel. Big rooms. Kind of a drive to everything but not bad. Parking was 34 per night. Easy in and out parking though. Had a pizza at the bar, over priced but good taste. Also had seared ahi tuna which was great.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank flewellen1

Dear flewellen1,

I'm pleased that you got a good value with us and enjoyed our newly renovated guest rooms. We appreciate your business and hope to see you back again soon!

Reviewed 31 July 2013 via mobile

I was on track to give a 5 rating. The room and bathroom were huge, the beds incredibly comfortable, the supplied soaps, etc were fantastic, the view was lovely, and the staff were super friendly. However, there was a mix-up about parking. I should have been presented with a swipe-key upon check-in to receive a reduced rate and in/out privileges. It was sorted out later, but it would have been much easier at check-in. Also, a list of items was provided, some complimentary, some to borrow. The note stated to request your items and they would be left at your door. I requested the tea service and a tea kettle. I ended up having a conversation through the bathroom door with the delivery guy, when I was in the shower!!!! To me, "tea service" means more than a couple tea bags, but that's all I received. No sugar, no spoon, no tea kettle, and a guy in the middle of my room. He acted completely surprised that bringing the kettle was an option. Don't promise items you don't have, and keep the staff out of my room when they shouldn't be in it! Really loved this hotel, and I will still return due to the spaciousness and comfort, but I hope the "requests" and parking goes better next time.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank jgflys

Dear jgflys,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for sharing this valuable feedback! I will share your review with the Parking Garage, Front Desk, and Housekeeping Management to address the issues you described. I'm happy to see that you still loved your stay and will be back. I hope upon your return we can show you that your comments were taken to heart.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

Not at all well equipped as a conference facility. As a meeting participant and busy working professional my experience attending a conference at this facility was horrid. Having flown in I needed to purchase contact solution and toothpaste, neither of which were available onsite and when I asked the concierge where I could obtain these items he told me I would need to walk 20 minutes to the nearest store or take a cab (at 11pm at night, neither seemed like a good option). I ordered room service and it took over 2 hours for it to be delivered. When I called to tell the front desk the restaurant was clearly understaffed the woman sarcastically said "I will let them know right away" and hung up. Did they spit in my food. Probably.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Dear erica a,

I'm very sorry to hear about your experience with us! As part of our Hyatt Has It program we offer toothpaste complimentary to our guests and our Daily Grind Market carries contact solution. I will be sharing your review with our Front Desk Manager to use as as training opportunity with our Concierge Desk. I'm so very sorry that you were misinformed and ended up going out of your way! I also greatly apologize for the slow service you received from In Room Dining will share your review with this department's manager as well! Please know that our guests are extremely important to us and this is not the level of service you should expect from Hyatt or the Hyatt Regency McCormick Place. I can only hope that the next time you visit Chicago, you will allow us another chance to show you the level of service of which we are capable.

ReservationsManager

Reviewed 30 July 2013

This congress hotel is perfect if you are very active (talks and meetings) at the congress and need to change cloth before going out for dinner but less perfect if you would like to go to the city more than one time during the congress as it is quite expensive to take a taxi and it is to far to walk.
The hotel is huge with all what you need regarding dining and gym and the rooms are comfortable and clean and well equipped.
Some less good things:
1) The fee for Internet is far too much- should be free at all hotels these days.
2) The lobby and restaurant area is very cold with to much air condition. Was freezing a lot al days..

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Dear LadyredOrlando,

Thank you for staying with us during the Red Diamond Congrress this week. I noticed that you mentioned that the Internet was too expensive, however we do offer complimentary Internet service to our guests. I apologize if something was confusing or any miscommunication on our end! To save money on taxis and not have to walk, you could try the #3 CTA bus. It stops in front of the hotel every 10-15 minutes and will take you up Michigan Ave to the Loop, Magnificent Mile, Millennium Park and more for $2.25/ride. I hope that we can see you again the next time you have a conference at McCormick Place or are just visiting Chicago.

Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 days on vacation to Chicago. First time here and we decided to stay here bc it didn't seem that far from the loop and we found a good deal online. The actual distance isn't that bad... However, the bus system can be confusing to a newbie, doesn't come often, and ends at 11pm. Also, the area in which the hotel is in is dead. There's nothing to do there or eat really. We tried going out a few times at night and places like Reggie's and Velvet Lounge weren't out crowd at all. Did visit White Castle a few times though. Lol.

The hotel itself is pretty good, clean, free wifi etc. My only complaint is the walls are thin, and you can hear your neighbors and people in the hallway. One night we had a baby next door and it was hell.

1  Thank tase25

Dear tase25,

I hope you enjoyed your vacation in Chicago! I'm sorry that you found the bus system confusing. Next time you are in town, try downloading the Transit Stop app. It's free from the Apple or Android app stores and will tell you how to get places via Chicago Public Transit, when your next train or bus is coming and more! We can make sure the front desk and concierge are sharing this tip with guests. I will share your notes about the walls with our Director of Engineering. Thanks for your feedback!

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Everything about this hotel is top-notch. We stayed in the new North Tower, and everything was great except for our view. We stayed on the 8th floor, and our view was blocked by the building next door. I would ask to be on the 14th or 15th floors, personally, because it would give you a great view of downtown. But here's what you REALLY want to look at before you book:

This hotel NOT very close to most attractions downtown (Magnificent Mile, Willis/SEARS tower, John Hancock building, etc). Yes, you can get to the heart of Michigan Avenue in about 20-40 minutes via the #3 bus, but there are many other hotels that are in the heart of downtown. Also, there are not many places to eat close to this hotel. The hotel itself has several dining options, but they are on the pricy side.

However, this hotel is attached to the convention center. You cannot beat the location IF what you most desire is to be very close to the convention center. But keep in mind most hotels downtown will provide a shuttle to the convention center.

Like I said, this is a GREAT hotel with GREAT service and amenities, but I would not return because I would rather be closer to downtown and closer to an "L" train station.

Room Tip: Book a room in the North Tower on the 14th or 15th floor to get a good view of downtown.