“Excellent customer service!”

Ranked #62 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Excellent customer service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Hyatt for Lollapalooza this past weekend and it exceeded all expectations - the customer service was top notch; the staff sincerely attempted to better our stay with every interaction we had. Rayna(? spelling may be wrong) was fabulous at the registration desk - very informative, thorough, and just generally pleasant. We stayed in the North Tower on the 12th floor and had a decent view of the city and Lake Michigan. The bathroom was spotless, the linens were freshly laundered, and the room in general was modern and nice. Close to everything, only about a 5min/$6 cab ride to Millenium Park. Excellent value for what I paid on a normally outrageously overpriced weekend, and I will definitely be staying again! Thanks, Hyatt staff!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank JDollard
LizJaquez, Reservations Manager at Hyatt Regency McCormick Place, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
Dear JDollard,

We thank you! It sounds like you had a wonderful time at Lollapalooza! I will make sure Rayya's manager hears about the great service she provided to you and we hope to see you back for Lolla next year, if not sooner.

Reservations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (782)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
British Columbia, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

*What was good and NOT so good about the Hyatt McCormick?* First, the NOT so good...

Management didn't listen to a really simple request regarding their fitness area. Their failure to respond with any solution was annoying and is why my review rating is "poor".

The problem: In the weights area their flat-screen TVs were playing the top news stories. I was the only one in that area of the gym. Instead of enjoying a quiet, reflective hour focused on improving my physical fitness, I saw and heard all about the latest rapes, murders, kidnappings, explosions, and extortions. It was awful. There is a time and a place to get informed about the news. For me, the gym is NOT the right place. I asked staff to turn down the volume or change the channel. They couldn't do it.

After my workout I called the manager. He left a voicemail saying he would have the volume turned down. Two days later I went back again for a workout. The TV was even louder than before. I picked up the phone in the gym and asked the receptionist to send someone to turn it off or down. I was told an engineer was being dispatched, but despite a second phone call, no one came during my one hour workout. I mentioned it to staff there and they empathized with me having to watch and listen to the horrible news of rapes and murders while trying to do a peaceful weight workout -- but they couldn't do anything.

I moved the weight bench into another room to get away from the TV, but the sound of the newscasters voice was pervasive. There was no escape, and I didn't have an ipod or ear plugs. Afterwards I called the manager again and asked him to get back to me.

No response. Why is that? Why can't the Hyatt allow guests to change the channel or turn the TV off or down?

For a hotel that charges hundreds of dollars per night, their poor response to a guest request to change the channel or mute the volume or turn off the TVs in the gym area gives the Hyatt a #FAIL.

*What was good about the Hyatt McCormick?* The view from the 33rd floor was stunning. I hesitated when I made the upgrade... considering that I was staying solo for 4 nights and would mostly be seeing meeting rooms, I wondered if it was worth the extra dollars per night. But it was a pleasure to wake up in the morning and see the great view. And at night it was fun to see the glimmering city lights. The room itself, with 2 beds and a small desk, was comfortable and spacious. Their safe was large enough to fit my laptop, which was great. The staff were slow at responding to requests for a bathrobe and extra towels but eventually they delivered.

Bottom-line: Instead of remembering the beautiful view from my hotel room, I'm left remembering the absolute worst news stories playing on the gym TV. Hyatt management needs to adapt their policy to allow guests the freedom to switch off the noise and visual pollution of their TVs.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dear FLJ_designer,

I'm very sorry that did not enjoy a peaceful workout. The TVs in the health club displaying the news are meant to be a courtesy to our guests, not a disturbance. I'm very sorry that we were not responsive to your request and I will share your comments with our management team to use as a training tool. We do have some amazing views and I'm glad that you got to enjoy and share the wonderful city view room!

Rockford, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

What the Hyatt at McCormick lacks in location it totally makes up in service and accommodations.

Our room was roomy with new furniture and decor. The first desk staff was very helpful and accommodating. The mattress was great. The pillows were typical (haven't been in a hotel yet with great pillows). The bathroom was spa like with back lighting and a extra large rain shower head.

It was easy to gran a cab or hop on the bus for a short ride to the downtown activities. Just a short cab or bus ride to the downtown activities. It was also nice that our car was parked in the adjacent parking garage, where that is uncommon of other downtown hotels.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear mjb,

It sounds like you had a wonderful stay and I'm so pleased our service and accommodations exceeded your expectations. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Great Barrington, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

What a great place to stay while attending Blog Her '13 at McCormick Place Conference Center. I had excellent service, room service meals and tech support. Parking was a breeze. I rented a bike out in front and pedaled the waterfront. I loved the Bird Sanctuary along the waterfront. And would strongly recommend this place to anyone needing to stay in the downtown area of Chicago. Great service all the way around and clean, cool rooms.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear Suzigardens,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your conference! I'm so happy that we could provide you with a 5-star experience. We hope to see you again the next time you are in town!

Fullerton, California, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

There were several things that really became significant to mandate the poorest of ratings.

1) std or Free WiFi is not only pathetically slow, but don't bother with paying for the Premium WiFI for the Tech people tell me its the exact same router/modem and the standard/free WiFi...geez what a total rip off !!!!!!!!

2) Im not, nor should you be either, Hyatts lending bank. They actually charged to my card a daily "incidentals fee" not just keep the card on file in case. That is blatantly wrong. In too many ways. Nothing provided or used. It's like they run a "float" at my expense. No bueno!

3) The available in hotel food choices were pathetic and waaaay overpriced for the value. Beyond what is already expected from hotels that typically overprice food and beverage. This could be because there are really no decent food choices within any reasonable walking distance. And if you take a cab, the price of that and the high prices in most restaurants in Chicago, it becomes pointless to go out if its saving money your after. But you should go out to eat because Chicago has a ton of great restaurants with fantastic food. The Hyatt here isn't one of them by any means.

4) The ice machine on our floor had an "out of order" piece of paper taped to it. It remained the entire week for our stay (M-F). And it appeared that it had been on there for a couple of weeks before....hmmmm....they have a maintenance mgt issue at that hotel for certain.

5) They nickel n dime a guest to death. Plan to pay more than double what something should cost. Worse than the Airport. It seems that nothing is ever "gratis." Shouldn't a Hyatt level experience come with at least SOME included items? Coffee yes, but it is so bad it hurts to drink it and you have to use tap water instead of bottled water unless you want to be a fortune for a tiny bottle.

Sadly, my high expectations for this Hyatt were never in the same universe as what was delivered. And Hyatt's HQ is in Chicago too. WTH?! They can't even take care of their own property under their nose?

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Erik F
Dear Erik F,

I'm very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us! I will be sharing your comments with our General Manager and all of our management team as well as our Internet Service Provider. We've recently doubled our bandwidth, so your comments about the Internet and the service you received from their technical support are of great concern. We want to provide a quality Internet connection for all of our guests. I apologize that our front desk did not explain our credit/debit card procedures. Like most hotels, we do authorize additional funds to cover any incidentals that may be charges to your guest room, however, this is returned to you account at check out, similar to when you go to eat and your charges show as pending until the tip is finalized. I will share your comments with the Front Desk Manager to ensure her team is communicating this properly at check in. Again, I greatly apologize that you did not enjoy your stay, and I will ensure your issues are followed up on! I only hope that should your travels bring you back to Chicago, you will allow us another chance to show you that we have taken your comments to heart. We greatly appreciate your feedback!

Boca Raton, Florida, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

I liked the hotel a lot. It is perfect for convention travelers. It is so convenient to be able to walk down to my convention and then run up to my room if I needed something. It was very modern and comfortable. My only complaint is that it isn't super-convenient to the city, although there is a bus that goes straight to downtown. Because it isn't on the L, if you want to get most places you will have to take the bus, the train, and maybe another bus. Or, you could take a cab, but that gets expensive. But there are a couple of restaurants within walking distance, and you can easily walk to the lake or Museum Campus. One minor issue: my bed was never turned down. It was made, of course, but I had to move a bunch of pillows and find where the duvet was tucked in before I went to sleep. Yes, that's a trivial complaint, but you'd think it would be easy for them to just turn it down when they made it so I could just crawl into bed! Otherwise, I would highly recommend this hotel.

Dear Molly18_13,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. You will be happy to learn that the city of Chicago is planning on expansion of the L system to include a stop at McCormick Place! We look forward to offering this new transportation option to our guests. We would be happy to offer you turn down service complimentary, just let us know and we'll turn it down for you to hop right in at the end of the day. Again, thank you for your feedback and it's a great compliment to know that you would highly recommend this hotel.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the newly built north tower at this hotel for 3 day conference. Excellent rooms and service. Not walkable distance to tourist attractions, but easy to get there via bus (picks up in front of hotel) or bike (if you are up for it, these can be rented at stall in front of hotel). Very safe area. Area feels new, but empty. If attending a conference nearby, definitely recommend staying here. If visiting just to tour the city, it's a good choice if you get a deal.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Joeycrose,

Thanks for sharing the tips on the bus and bikes available right in front of the hotel. I'm happy you had a great stay and we hope to see you again soon!