“Breathtaking Views and Great Service”

Hyatt Regency McCormick Place
Ranked #69 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California
“Breathtaking Views and Great Service”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

This was my first trip to Chicago and was very happy with the excellent customer service provided by the Hyatt staff especially with the hotel constantly bustling with guests. The front desk looks sleek and amenities are classy. Also, includes Free WiFi, which is a huge plus for me.

The room was super comfortable. Stayed on the 31st Floor on the City side and had a breathtaking view of Downtown, Navy Pier, Solider Stadium, and Lake Michigan.

Only suggestion for those staying during the weekend trip is too keep in mind to get around with public transportation, the Hyatt is serviced by a bus station which is convenient but takes about 25-30 minutes to get to the heart of downtown or you can take the Metra (connected to the convention center next to the hotel), but only takes to before the river. If you are going to the North part of town, will have to transfer to the main subway lines.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room on the city view side!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank jrda2
LizJaquez, Manager at Hyatt Regency McCormick Place, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear jrda2,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on the great views and service as well as your transportation tips with TripAdvisor readers! I'm happy to share with you that a new Green Line stop is being added for McCormick Place in 2014 and is already under construction. It will be at Cermak/Wabash, just a couple blocks from the hotel and convention center. We look forward to offering this new public transportation option next year. Again, thank you for your business and your comments.

Social Media Marketing Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (787)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Saint Charles, Missouri
Reviewed 17 November 2013

The Hyatt Regency McCormick Place has recently been renovated and the hotel is beautiful. The Front Door Staff and Front Desk Staff are wonderful, but it stops there. We asked for and received a suite upgrade. The suite was beautiful with a large dining area, panoramic views of the city and a lounge area. In the kitchen there was a very small fridge--no microwave!! Really? We ordered room service the first morning through a door hanging card. We asked for delivery from 7:30 - 8:00. At 8:15 we needed to leave for a Convention Meeting (and to meet Ben and Jerry) I called down and asked about breakfast and they said it was on the way. At 8:30 it still wasn't there, so I left. They delivered it shortly after and said they wouldn't charge for it. If we had a microwave, I could have heated it for breakfast the next day. Wrong! Sure enough when we got home and looked on the e-bill there it was! A charge for $92.00 for the breakfast we never ate. Sadly we didn't catch it at check out because they now e-bill it to you. In addition, we complained about the toilet not flushing properly and it was never fixed. The hotel is beautiful, the service leaves a lot to be desired and we probably won't ever stay there again even if the ASHA Convention comes back to Chicago.

2 Thank Robi520
Dear Robi520,

I'm very sorry for what you experienced during your stay! I'm happy that the staff tried to do the right thing by taking care of the breakfast charges for the lateness, but clearly there was a billing error and I hope that it has since been taken care of for you! I will be sharing your review with our In Room Dining Managers as well as our maintenance team to address your issues. I appreciate your feedback so that we can use your experience as a training tool with the staff and prevent others from going through what you did. I only hope that the next time you are in Chicago, for ASHA or otherwise, you will consider giving us another chance to show you the level of service of which we are capable and that your comments have been taken to heart.

San Dimas, California
Reviewed 14 November 2013

The front desk was outstanding dealing with billing issues and meeting several guests unique needs. It was such a relief to have someone with a positive attitude to deal with our discombobulated situation, Also, this hotels has an outstanding handicapped access floor with well marked emergency procedures. Best loaction for convenient access to the conventiona center activities.
Thank you!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear DMClureDVM,

I'm so very sorry that you had an issue, but I'm more pleased that the front desk staff was accommodating and took great care of you! We appreciate your business, and I hope we can have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 12 November 2013

This was my first trip to Chicago thus had not stayed in this Hotel before, these were my views:
Comfort: Rooms are spacious and comfortable, enough space to unpack completely and feel at home. Decent Television Service, work space / desk and Wi-Fi.
Cleanliness: Room was clean on arrival and on returning to the room every day. One problem I had is that drains were consistently blocked and the basin plug was broken. I did not relay this information to management until checkout as I was not keen on someone other than the cleaning staff lingering in my room.
Staff: Front desk staff are very friendly & efficient, I found the Concierge far less so, not sure if they were waiting for tip before or after they had given in my view sloppy advise. The doormen were extremely helpful, always ready to get you a taxi and actually far more helpful than the concierge was with directions, be sure to tips these guys they deserve it.
Location: I attended a conference at convention center, which is literally attached to the hotel. If you are going for a conference, then there is no better place to stay. Not much to see in the immediate vicinity, but a lengthy walk down Michigan ave. will see you find Millennium park and the Chicago Art Institute which are well worth vising. Take a Taxi for anything else.
Dining: Breakfast service is great and food on offer was nice with friendly staff. I did not attend a lunch or dinner service as I found the restaurant fully booked most of the time, if you want to have lunch while a large conference is on the go, be sure sure to book yourself a spot.
Summary: I stayed at the Hyatt for business purposes and found that it offered more than I needed in this regard. I can certainly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Vtro
Dear Vtro,

Thank you very much for your business and taking the time to write a very detailed review of your experience. This feedback is very helpful to us! Thank you for mentioning your drain at check out, so that we could address the issue for the next guest in that room. I will still be sharing your review with our Engineering & Maintenance team to be on the look out for this. I will also be sharing your review with our Front Office and Guest Services Manager so recognize the door staff and use as a training tool with the concierge.
Transportation tip for your next visit: try the #3 bus to save on cab fare to the Loop or Magnificent Mile areas. It stops right in front of the hotel every 10-15 minutes and will take you to the same area for $2.25/ride.
Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future!

Westchestry Cty, NY
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Nice property, but it's Chicago, so hyatt better get it right there. Rooms were reasonably up to date, and there were enough outlets to charge all you're stuff ( pet peeve of mine). Double sink is nice, but shower was so so, more marriott than hyatt. The restaurant was solid for breakfast.. front desk staff very very helpful and pleasant. They go out of their way to be hospitable.

Dear MMRDAR5,

Thank you for your business and for taking a moment to share your feedback. It's nice to know that you enjoyed our newly renovated guestrooms and helpful front desk staff. We hope you will come back and see us the next time you have business in Chicago.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Very nice hotel in downtown Chicago. Great amenities and comfortable rooms. It is conveniently located next to McCormick Place, which is a huge convention center! Staff was very friendly and accommodating. Plenty of things to do if you have the time and energy. Taxis galore at the hotel, bus stations nearby, train or L as well along with a parking garage for your own vehicle.

Room Tip: I waited to the last minute and got an online deal. Much lower price plus $20 for all parking rather...
1 Thank BigDaddyWied
Dear BigDaddyWied,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your feedback to others online. It's nice to read that you got a good deal and that the staff was friendly. I hope you will come back and see us again!

Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I had a great customer experience with the staff, they resolved a couple hiccups I had with some errors with my room service, and they spoke to me immediately about it on their social media presence, which I value. Liz, the social media & marketing manager was SO nice, and went way over what I'd ever expect from a hotel, it almost felt like a friend helping me out to resolve the issue, that I kept talking to her to ask about my conference I was attending, where it was, how to retrieve shipping etc... it's so great knowing that despite being in a city where you're on business, the staff (and servers!) here really goes the extra mile to make it a personal experience. Thank you so much, I can't wait to come back again, I come here often so I'll make sure to stay where I know I'll be treated so well!

Room Tip: I favor the new tower, but I like it away from all the hustle and bustle!
Green Features: The whole place looks brand new, so I'm assuming most of the newly installed items were all environmentally conscious when taken into account when designing. I love the trace receptacles in the rooms so I can recycle!
Dear lianakangas,

Customer service, whether in person, over the phone, or on social media is extremely important to us, and I'm so happy that I could help you out! I hope you are feeling better too. I look forward to your next visit to Chicago!