“Clean decent rooms, service a bit discombobulated”

Hyatt Regency McCormick Place
Ranked #69 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
New England
“Clean decent rooms, service a bit discombobulated”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

On the one hand ... When I checked out this morning around 6 to catch a plane, the man at the front desk couldn't print out my hotel bill - said that the computers were "running slow today" and promised to email the bill, which 12 hours later has not happened. And yesterday evening, I returned to my room to find that my thermostat had been set by housekeeping (I assume) to 62ºF for some strange reason (it's August and outside it's 90º), basically an icebox that took a half hour to fix - by me running the heat! Not very green of them. And we can discuss the downstairs coffee and snacks store, advertised everywhere as operating 24/7, that was in fact closed shut on Sunday evening at 10:15pm. None of these problems was calamitous, but I guess it reflects the enormous size of the hotel and its corporate ownership. The "little touches" are not their specialty.

On the other hand ... my room, though charmless, was modern, clean, rather large, with comfortable beds, flatscreen TV and a decent bathroom with a good shower. So all in all it was a thoroughly acceptable experience. Just a bit odd now and then.

Finally, as others have written, the hotel is in the middle of a barren convention center area with lots of treeless concrete plazas and no civic or commercial life whatsoever. You get in by car and out by car, which was ok for me since I do come with a vehicle (hotel parking is $25/day, by the way -- rather steep), but it would have been nicer if there was someplace interesting to stroll in the vicinity.

Room Tip: The South Tower from the 20th or so floor up has good views. The other tower is smaller, and I it l...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
LizJaquez, Manager at Hyatt Regency McCormick Place, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Akademik2,

I'm very sorry to read about the issues you experienced during your stay. Sometimes a lot of smaller things can add up to be worse than something calamitous. I will make sure the Front Desk Manager sees your comments on the folio and that our maintenance team knows about the thermostat in your room. Our thermostats are supposed to be set to adjust automatically when guests are not in the room, not continue to freeze the room as you described. As an LEED Gold certified building, our green initiatives are important to us, so we definitely want to take a look at this. The Daily Grind Manager will also receive a copy of your review. I apologize for the inconvenience as this outlet is to be open 24 hours. I hope that you might come stay with us again in the future so that we can show you that your feedback has been taken seriously and improvements have been made because of it. We would also love to show you the lakeshore path just a couple blocks from the hotel that leads by Soldier Field and Museum Campus. It's a beautiful stroll!

Social Media Marketing Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (806)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I stayed at the hotel for 3 days for a business conference. The room was great as well as the bed but $200 per night seemed a little on the steep side. I was also bothered a bit by them wanting me to pay more for faster internet access as well as having to pay for parking. Fortunately, I received a discounted $20 rate for parking but the normal rate is $34 per night. I've parked at the airport for less per day than this. Overall, great facility, great location for easy access to N Michigan Avenue shopping and exploring. I definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: I had a corner king suite. Very quiet and the view of Lake Superior was great.
Dear Bill M,

Your recommendation is very important to us. I'm so glad to see that despite your concerns with the pricing, that you would recommend us to others on TripAdvisor. Thank you for taking a moment to comment.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Great for our conference inside McCormick. Rooms were clean and well kept . the price was at a discount and we did not opt for the upgrade. a fellow traveler upgrade for only slightly more angot a two room suite with a walk in closet

Dear Joseph J,

Thanks for staying with us for your recent conference. Our city and lake views are great aren't they? We hope that we can become your preferred hotel in Chicago.

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 25 August 2014

There's a lot a good things that the Hyatt Regency McCormick Place has; location can't be better for conventions, good views of the lake and downtown, and lots of cabs always waiting out front. But with the good comes the bad, namely the thinnest walls in the Midwest. My next door neighbor's passing gas actually woke me up one morning. I kid you not. These walls are thin and despite signs asking guests to keep the volume down during certain times, it's still not quiet. If this hotel wasn't in one of the greatest cities on earth, it would be really bad.

Room Tip: Get as far away from everything as you can. Thin walls.
Dear mkings12,

I'm very sorry to hear about the neighboring guest room noise, especially what you described. How unpleasant! I will make sure that our Maintenance team sees your review so we can take a look at the insulation in the walls of your guest room. Again, thank you for letting us know so that we can address this right now. I'm happy to see that despite this, all the other good things were able to keep your experience a 4-star one.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 25 August 2014

good overall, not in the center of the city. hotel restaurants and other services are a bit pricey. great if you are going to a convention or meeting in McCormick place, since it is adjacent to the convention center.

Dear Shahen G,

We appreciate your business and your taking a moment to share your feedback on TripAdvisor. We hope that you will come stay with us again the next time you have business at McCormick Place.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

My family and I stayed for the weekend. Rooms were very nice & clean. Staff was very friendly. We actually asked to move rooms after one night because our neighbors were very loud and our request was met with no issues. Moved to the 14th floor of the South Tower and had a great view of the city and the water. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Amanda J,

Thanks you for spending your family trip to Chicago with us! I'm so sorry to hear that you had some inconsiderate neighbors, but I'm happy that our staff took great care of you. We hope that you will come back and see us again!

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Clean comfortable room. Bed was comfortable. Towels were like sand paper, not plush at all. Not what I expected from this caliper hotel. Toilet paper was cheep too. Not very much nightlife with in walking distance. Great park next to Soldier Field which is in walking distance. Great for running. Overall, fine. Would stay there again.

Dear Stuart H,

I will make sure that our Housekeeping Manager hears your feedback regarding the towels and tissues. Thank you for the feedback. It may be time to look at our towel inventory and ensure that they are all up to the Hyatt standard. I'm glad that you still enjoyed your stay and that you would stay here again. We would love to welcome you back!