“bed breakfast and shopping”

InterContinental Chicago
Ranked #73 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
dubai
“bed breakfast and shopping”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Tthe intercontinental in Chicago is a legendary hotel in Chicago the 100 year old pool is in excellent condition, the spa is great. the hotel is luxurious comfortable. You can experience great steak in Michael Jordan's steakhouse.

Room Tip: choose the rooms in th old tower the higher the best choose master suite or junior suite
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (870)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We had an amazing anniversary celebration here. The hotel is luxurious, modern and extremely comfortable. The staff is kind and generous. The pool is beautiful and anachronistic in a regal way. The location cannot be beat, close to both our destinations: Hub51 and the Red Head Piano Bar.

• Stayed July 2013
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Excellent customer service and attention to detail! The wedding event coordinator Chris was very attentive to our families needs. Great service from the initial planning up until the wedding day and reception!

• Stayed July 2013
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Great 3 night stay last week - Ambassador member and used points for a get away - from moment we walked in , service was great - upgraded room , 29th floor - were celebrating birthday and Mother's day a little late - hotel sent up a small cake and bottle of wine - perfect !!
View , A/C , elevators , staff,( Clive ) room etc were all great and would recommend the hotel.
Location ideal - close to everything.
A+ for our stay!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Lindenhust, IL
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Wonderful staff, great accommodations, and perfect location. The staff is outstanding from knowledgeable Vince who brought our bags to our room to Denise who took care of our room. Was greeted as if we were welcome VIPs by any staff met in the halls, etc. Loved the beautiful pool in the historic tower. Close to the best of Michigan Avenue shops and restaurants and Navy Pier. So glad that we had the opportunity to experience this venue. It has become our first choice as a home away from home when we visit Chicago. The bed and pillows were so comfortable that I overslept a few times and did not want to get up.

Room Tip: We were on the 11th floor (one floor below Historic Tower and junior Olympic size pool). It was qu...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Sunnyvale, California, Usa
Reviewed 23 July 2013

This is our First time here in Chicago and our 4 day stay was wonderful. Olivia provided as with excellent accommodations. She is approachable, friendly and received us with a betokening warmth which made it different to the rest of the hotels in US. Kudos to you Olivia!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 23 July 2013

First of all I'm not sure this is a fair review because we haven't even stayed here yet. We booked a night at another hotel but thought this would be a better location that was more professional. We had a long day at the zoo and were quite tired (myself, my wife and 4 yr old daughter) but nonetheless thought it would be nice. The location is great.... if you want to be in the centre of Michigan Ave then this is the place. That being said here is our experience thus far...

We got there after walking all day and were super tired. We really didn't like the hotel we were at and like others reviewed, were looking for something more upscale. We were greeted by a nice young blonde lady (I forget her name, sorry) who's service was great. We asked to see a room and although the room was fully booked she managed to find one that she could show us. We checked it out in the historical tower and was advised we could have a room like the one shown which is a deluxe with 2 double beds and a view of Michigan Ave, perfect for what we wanted. While checking out the room my daughter fell asleep in my arms from a long day... understandable but tiring.

I asked the price and advised we are CAA/AAA members. We were told by the lady assisting us it's $246 for the evening compared to the regular rate of $286. She also advised that they are unable to give me this rate at the front desk as their "system" doesn't allow this and doesn't even show what the rates are for promotions. I then called the toll free number with their kind assistance and spoke with a "Troy". Keep in mind I've had a long day... unable to eat because of a hotel we were currently having troubles with and have a 4 year old asleep in one arm while I'm on the phone with the other. I told Troy we looked at room 1905 to get an idea of the hotel and it's rooms (as the one we are currently staying at isn't quite what we had in mind). He then starts mentioning another person's name and offered us this rate and many options for being some sort of a gold ICH member of some sort (sorry I'm paraphrasing this part) and that we would have a free movie included and free internet. At the end of this I said this sounds great. I state my name and that I'm not the person he assumed I was. I asked him why he would assume I was a guest currently there when I advised clearly at the beginning of the call that I was still just initially booking. Not only that, he advised the price as $270ish ... when I advised the price quoted, he had found that price... great, I'm supposed to their jobs now. I advised I still want these "perks" and that he had offered them. Do I need a membership to qualify? I didn't think this was Costco.

I'm still choked at this point I have a sleeping 4 yr old in my arms. He apologized as he couldn't do anything as the "system" doesn't allow it. Every organization or large company has a system. I don't accept this and here's why:

Anyone can follow the rules. the best companies that offer great customer service bend them or work to find solutions. I spoke with the manager and advised the same thing. Was told... the system doesn't allow it, there are restrictions, etc. I asked him if he's the manager of the hotel, why can't he make the exception to offer the AAA rate at the front desk. I empathized and understood that he didn't create the system in place. I was then told they can offer the regular rate of $286 less 10% which is normally the AAA discount. At this point I fired back at him because I was told by the lady at the front desk (still very nice at this point and right to the end) and that math still doesn't add up to the rate of $246. Not sure why he thought I'd be happy with that but anyways.... I asked him if he was going to offer the rate or not to which he said he would book me in at $286 and then discount it after.

Why does a "world class" hotel such as ICH have systems issues that offer little flexibility. Why do managers seem to have no discretion? Why do I have to lose my temper and get upset with a sleeping child in my arms to make a case in order for a solution to be provided by a manager who seems content with saying it's the system and that basically the way it is??

I feel like I've been fed lines and this customer service is brutal. In short I'm happy with the location and had planned on staying two nights but have had way better service from the Marriott Courtyard in Schaumburg and the Marriott Fairfield in Starved Rock.

To fellow trip advisors who have rated this hotel or stayed at other hotels in downtown Chicago? Any recommendations for other hotels? Please, your warm wishes for my stay tomorrow night.

Cheers.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dean M
Kyiana, Assistant Front Office Director at InterContinental Chicago, responded to this review, 28 July 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. I am deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very valuable and will certainly be looked into this. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you have experienced. I appreciate you for bringing this into our attention as the feedback we receive from our guests like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to improve our guest services.

Aravind Gudidevuni