“Simply and still the best!”

InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #66 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I think this is probably my favorite hotel in city of Chicago. The location is awesome. I call this hotel the Grand Lady of Michigan Ave. Yes, its an older hotel but the rooms are modern and up to date and do not clash with the overall theme of the property. Check in was extremely fast and friendly. I didn't feel rushed. I was recognized as a Platinum Ambassador Member which gave me a sweet upgrade to a Magnificent Mile two room Suite in the historic building. This is my 5th or 6th stay at this hotel and this was my first time on the historic side. I have read many not so positive reviews and was concerned that the room that I would be receiving would be less than what I was hoping for or had experienced during my previous stays. I was delightfully disappointed. This room far exceeded my expectations. It was well meticulously maintained. The bedroom provided ample room with its own extremely oversized bathroom. However, the separate shower was a slightly tight but negotiable. There wasn't an obstructed view from any of the windows. Definitely a room to relax in and unwind in. The only disappointment during this visit was the attached Micheal Jordan Restaurant. The bartenders were not attentive, informative nor concerned. During my visit there, I sat at the bar and asked whether or not they were still serving food. I was told the kitchen was closed. However, a small group of 4-6 females sat behind me after I had been at the bar and were handed menus to order from and then served meals. I didn't approach either of the two bartenders about what had just occurred. It was very late and I am not normally confrontational. But this left situation left me a bad impression. I wasn't going to let it ruin the whole trip. I took advantage of the 24 hour room service when I departed the bar. The service was impeccable. Presentation flawless. Food Delicious. But at 1230 am, I probably wasn't too picky. But, it has been nearly a month since that evening and I am still craving that delicious burger. I rarely order room service at any hotel due to the premium prices, but, the overall food service prices were actually pretty reasonable. I am partial to the Intercontinental Hotels and despite the negative impact the bartenders left with me, I will definitely return again because of the service, the quality, location and the ambiance. Once again this Intercontinental has far exceeded the standards.

Room Tip: Ask for the a Magnificent Mile in the Historic Building on an upper floor!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,916)

Reviewed 5 December 2013

I would lke everyone to know that Will the doorman is that best at his job. He always remember us. the tidbit's that he gives us about the city and restaurants is wonderful. We always stay at the Intercontinental when we are downtown, it's a great hotel and wonderful staff.

Room Tip: Always stay in the Historic Tower
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Professional staff, very helpful and very polite. Our first visit to Chicago was made easier by the doorman/bellhop Vincenzo who gave us great recommendations and exceptional service. A great place to stay in Chicago.

A special thanks to Officer Mike Danhiels of the Chicago PD on the beat in front of the hotel for his helpful advice and great sense of humor.

Truly a wonderful city, can't wait to return for the Blackhawks convention! And maybe another Stanley Cup parade! Go Blackhawks !!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Stayed over a weekend, between business conferences. Old world feel to the hotel, staff friendly and efficient. Room matches the appeal of the hotel, old world. Multi-device internet wold have been nice.

You may wish to check out the pool (on level 8) - amazing art deco indoor pool.

Great location for getting around Chicago. we walking to restaurants and bars.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 December 2013

When we were checking out of our hotel, we had the best service I've ever encountered at a hotel. His name was Arron. The person who came to take our bags was friendly, courteous and nice. We had many, many bags of all shapes and sizes and he kept letting us know that it wasn't a problem. He took us from the 26th floor down to the garage and loaded us up, took all the bags out because we needed something and reloaded us. He was amazing. Thank you Arron.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We were just there for a family wedding. The hotel, but particularly, the rooms were clean and quiet. The bedding was comfortable. The rooms were somewhat cramped though relatively affordable for such a perfect Michigan ave. location. The water pressure was poor. The rooms were cramped enough that the closet door interacted with the latch to make entry sometimes difficult. The lighting in the closet was nonexistent. The food was excellent as was the service. This is a nicely placed hotel offering good value. There are nicer hotels in the city which are significantly more expensive. This hotel is at the same level as a Grand Hyatt. It falls short in comfortable elegance and perfection of details when compared with hotels like the Four Seasons.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 December 2013

My wife and I decided to visit Chicago for our 38th anniversary. Being this was our first time in this city we didn't know what to expect. The Intercontinental hotel was a truly a great choice. The hotel accomodations were excellent.The staff were very friendly and efficient. But our best hotel experience was a doorman named Will. This man was a tower of information. Everything from dinning, shopping to museum tours, Will had an answer. He told us where to go and more importantly, where not to go. His warm, friendly manner and advice made our trip very enjoyable. If we return to Chicago, the Intercontinental hotel will be our destination.