“Where are the nice rooms?”

InterContinental Chicago
Ranked #70 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Houston, Texas
“Where are the nice rooms?”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Great location, but the pictures of the nice rooms shown in their website were not found during my stay. My gf and I stayed at the historic wing for a company mtg and got room 919. There are no views. Windows are taped all over. It is technically a dungeon plus the room is extremely dated perhaps that's what Historic wing means. The room does not provide enough light. First time at Intercontinental but fourth visit in Chicago. The Wit and Hyatt nearby are much better value and location. Spend your money elsewhere!

I have to make an update at 11:40pm as we are trying to go to sleep. Room 919 must be right above the ballroom which happened to have a wedding tonight. The music is jamming through the ground. We called the front desk and they offered to send security to tell the wedding to turn down the music. Dont think that's going to help. Seriously, don't get any rooms on 9th floor.

During my checkout, the front desk asked about the stay and i gave them all the details that i have written above. I must say their staff is actually quite receptive and they were apologetic and offered to do something i.e. buy us a drink at the bar. I also received a phone call from the hotel next day regarding the noise incident and again, they were very apologetic and offered me 20,000 pts to my account. It's a good gesture and probably the only other thing that could have been done was refund my whole stay. However, I will give 4 star to their staff for trying.

Room Tip: I would say don't stay in the Historic Tower and definitely not room 919.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Kyiana, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Chicago, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear LoloBud ,

We apologize for the experience you had during your recent stay. Your feedback has been forwarded to the appropriate department(s) for further review. Please rest assured your response is appreciated. If your schedule permits, please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience. Thank you again!

Malcolm Moore
Guest Services Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (880)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This hotel is extremely convenient and is located right on Michigan Ave. You can walk to shopping, Navy Pier, etc The lobby is open and contemporary in feel, and very different from the older, more ornate original tower.

The room was large, had sufficient power outlets, a wonderful view of the Chicago River, and plenty of workspace at the desk.

The internet fee was a bit high, but when some of my colleagues told me that they'd not had to pay, I went to the desk and they gave me the code for the internet and removed the charge from my bill. Every one was friendly and helpful.

The Starbucks located in the lobby is huge (although a little slow at times) and has a nice selection of beverages, breakfast items and other foods.

Room Tip: Try for the 17th floor and above-the views are wonderful.
1 Thank ColumbiaMDPercolate
Menasha, Wisconsin
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This hotel is located just north of the river on Michigan Ave. Walking distance to Water Tower Place and Downtown shops and restaurants. The bell man at the street was prompt and very informative and helpful. Counter staff were excellent, the room was well appointed and the beds were very comfy! Bathroom was clean, well decorated and appeared to be recently remodeled.
The lobby bar served the most interesting cocktails - the Hemingway Daiquiri was an excellent version of the old standby. Server was knowledgeable and had a great memory. You have to check out the pool! It looks like it was built in the 1920s - columns, great windows, tile floors - things you just don't find in new hotels. Great location to walk to Water Tower Place, downtown shops, restaurants, museums.
Considering all this the price is a value, though the prices will be higher than the Super 8 in Anamosa, IA....!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I was in Chicago earlier this year and stayed at the Intercontinetal Chicago. The first visit was so enjoyable, I had to come back and bring my wife. The Hotel did not disappoint us at all, Great rooms, great service and even great food. It was another fantastic trip to Chicago!

Room Tip: I like the new tower better than the Historical Tower.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John E
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here on our recent meet up in Chicago. The whole weekend, we kept repeating to each other, "I am so glad we chose this hotel, what a perfect location". We went on Architectural Tours, walked every morning for exercise down michigan avenue and the lakefront just a few blocks away. We had drinks at the Rooftop bar at the new Trump hotel, and had dinners/lunches all over the city. It was the quintessential middle point we needed for our weekend of fun.

We were upgraded upon arrival to a junior suite, and the view was great, and for two ladies sharing a room, the extra space was a nice addition for our two LARGE suitcases.

My only suggestion for improvement would be additional outlets in the walls in the bathroom on the opposite side so we both could have plugged in our hair appliances at the same time. That was the only challenge with sharing a bathroom. We had to get creative with our "getting ready" routine so that we could use the only 1 outlet in the bathroom.

Fantastic, clean hotel, in the heart of it all! Thanks to everyone who helped make our weekend a success.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at the InterContinental Hotel in downtown Chicago, IL. I have stayed at the InterContinental in New Orleans and was underwhelmed by the hotel facilities and service. I didn't have high expectations for Chicago location but was presently surprised. First the hotel was well maintained. Upon arrival the staff greeted me with smiles and enthusiasm. I received a room upgrade, which was a nice perk after long day of work and travel. Every staff member I came in contact with concentrated on making my stay pleasant. Information about the hotel and area amenities were readily available by staff and published information. My convenience seem to be the theme throughout my visit. The hotel is right on Michigan Ave with easy access to shopping and restaurants. Room decor is classic and tasteful. I would not hesitate to stay at the InterContinental Chicago again.

New Market, Maryland
Reviewed 19 June 2014

A fantastic experience. Gorgeous hotel, extraordinary amenities, wonderfully comfortable beds, lovely service, delicious food. The staff were very attentive, thoughtful and eager to assist with anything.

Room Tip: A room with a view of the Magnificent Mile is recommended.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business