“Great Spot”

InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #66 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My family and I were taking a short trip to Chicago and wanted to stay on the Magnificent Mile to be close to all of the shopping...especially the American Girl store. We arrived to town at 10:00 and decided to park in a garage nearby to get our shopping started. Unfortunately, our car wouldn't fit into the garage due to the luggage carrier on top, so my husband unloaded us, and replaced our bodies with the luggage and the luggage rack and headed back to the hotel. They graciously took our car and parked it in a place where it would fit and found a way to go ahead and give us our rooms. Anyone who has complained about the service this hotel provides, just likes to complain.
I will mention that what you might have previously read about the mini-fridge and the snack tray. If you lift any of it up for more than 30 seconds, you will be charged for it whether you eat it or not. Evidently it is true. We didn't test the water, but our bellman did give us that information.

Room Tip: 1605 in the historic tower was a huge room with a beautiful corner view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (4,833)

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I had made a reservation at least 6weeks ahead of stay for 2 adults and 2 children. When checking in reservation clerk said there were no rooms with 2 beds available, so we were given a king bed. There was a couch, so we made do, without a rollaway. Room was too small for that. The location is good and room was clean and I had gotten a good rate for Chicago Michigan Avenue, so stay was acceptable but not great.

Room Tip: If you pay $350 -500 night you may get to select a room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Kyiana, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear Judy39,

We apologize for the experience you had during your recent stay. Your feedback has been forwarded to the appropriate department(s) for further review. Please rest assured your response is appreciated. If your schedule permits, please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience. Thank you again!

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stay in downtown Chicago every year for a few days and always stay at four or five star hotels on or near Michigan Ave. This time we chose the InterContinental. Upon arrival we were not greeted. No doorman. No bellman. Our limo driver put our bags on the sidewalk, and we struggled through the door. At the desk we were summarily checked in, no wait, but no particular interest by the young lady checking us in. Small worn-out room on upper floor in the historic tower. Hallway carpets stained and worn. Elevator painfully slow. Only one nightstand, not enough outlets. Outlet on desk broken. Internet costs extra. Bed gave my husband a bad back ache. Sharp edge on bed frame gave me bruise. Early in am housekeeping kept trying to come in, despite my repeatedly calling out that we were still in bed. Finally had to physically push the door shut on her after she used her key for the third time to try to enter. (This was the first morning of a three day stay). No issues with over-billing, but will definitely watch my credit card statements, after reading the reviews (upon seeing the room I was sure I had misread the ratings so went on-line....couldn't believe this was more than two star). Won't use the Priceline blind bidding system again. This is NOT a four star hotel.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Kyiana, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear GUGRAD,

Reviewed 17 July 2014

My girlfriend and I were looking for a hotel to stay to attend a concert at the House of Blues. I had heard that the InterContinental was a great hotel but didn't think we could afford it. Well we lucked up on a deal and booked the hotel for a one night stay. We arrived early to the hotel just to put our bags in storage but ended up getting an upgrade to a better room instead! The room had a view of Mag mile...very nice. The bed and the pillows were great too! The deal that I booked included the InterContinental breakfast which I was expecting rolls and boxes of cereal but walked into pancakes and ready-to-order omelets....fantastic! The only complaint that I have about the hotel is that I had to leave my 12th floor room on one side of the hotel to go down to the lobby to then go up to the second floor for breakfast on the other side...a lot of work!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Loved this hotel! Was only there for one night but location is fantastic, room was fantastic, and ordered room service from MIchael Jordan's restaurant and service was outstanding! Front desk service was super wonderful. Highly recommend!!!

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I've stayed in many InterContinental hotels around the globe and have always been thrilled with them, but the Chicago Mag Mile was a disappointment. Although we had a so-called King Suite in the non-historic side, it had a tiny bathroom, poor-quality towels (not the super luxe that we've been used to with this brand hotel), noisy air conditioner in both rooms in the suite, no bottled water, and the list goes on. I've actually stayed in 3-star hotels that had nicer appointments, so I really question why this property received a AAA 4 Diamond rating. On the positive side, however, the bed comfort and pillows were excellent, the staff exceedingly courteous and the location top notch.

Room Tip: Apparently, the historical side is the place to be.

Dear Iswago,

Reviewed 13 July 2014

The hotel is on the Mag Mile. It was well priced for the location. Would stay again. The staff was very helpful and nice to deal with. It's located in the same building as Michael Jordan's Steakhouse. That makes a late night snack an easy task and a Starbucks as well.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple